Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

undercarriage restoration experience/suggestions
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabowman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: undercarriage restoration experience/suggestions Reply with quote

I searched around a LOT and didn't really find much on this specific topic besides some discussion about specific undercoating products. I know there is a hot debate about using a rubberized undercoating vs a wax based (waxoyl) or similar.

I have EVERYTHING removed from the bottom of my van (90 GL). I have started scrubbing the crap out of everything with degreaser, which will take days.

So here are my questions, hopefully some folks who have gone to extremes on the bottom of there van can share there experience:

1. There is a thick waxy coating in the wheel wells that is color matched, and looks stock. What is this? Should it be removed? Will any undercoating products stick to it?

2. Some areas of the underbody have slight rust, but mostly it's just little spots here and there. What is the best way to deal with these?

3. Any tips on surface preparation, degreasing, etc? I would just sand blast the vehicle, but I think it's valuable to leave the original paint on there in areas where it is still good.

4. My biggest concern is ADHESION. There are least 4 different surfaces on the bottom of my van, and the vary widely in terms of cleanliness/condition. I would love to use a bedliner type product, but I am super nervous that I will have a hard time getting much to stick well. Any experiences with bed-lining the entire underside of a van?

5. I was thinking POR 15 over the entire chassis/frame rails and any other areas with rust. I am skeptical of the POR-15 though, because it would have to overlap onto painted areas, and I am not sure if the product is made for that?

Here are some photos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also wondering about this. Glade you posted.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan (Insyncro) has some expertise in this area, hopefully he will chime in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jabowman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody? come on!

After more pondering and product review, I am leaning towards using a combination of POR 15 products. First I would paint all rusted areas with regular POR-15, then coat over the entire chassis/frame rails with Chassis Coat Black, and then put a final coat of Pow-r Liner urethane bedliner over the entire bottom. It will expensive, I am still worried about the adhesion of the bedliner to the pre-existing material in the wheel well.

Anyone sprayed bedliner into their wheel wells? What prep did you do, how did it go?
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good german article about testing long time rust protection:
http://www.vw-bulli.de/de/technik-design/timemax-rostschutz-das-volle-programm.html

I am trying fluidfilm products, but no long term experience.

(Tryed to link google translated ling but it didn't work)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POR15 is a very hard, non flexable material, it is a poor choice for this. the chassis will flex, and that will crack the hard POR 15, and thus allow water to enter.

The chassis black is a Eastwood Product and that is the bottom of the scale of quality paint. I have had numerous problems with eastwoodd's paints and coating, i avoid eastwood at all costs. eastwood coatings are poorly formulated and they have horrible customer support, in fact with one product they admitted it was causing failures (promoting rust) yet they kept selling that product anyway. I spoke with their techinical department and found that they had no idea of what they are doing. I hae much experience in coatings and chemistry thru my job, I would never use Eastwood junk again.

A aulity epoxy paint such as DP primer or simulr would be a good choice for basic paining, not too thick (thick paint will crack eventually) look for4 products made by SEM, Dupont, PPG and such, these are name brandsused by profesional restoreres who dont cut corners, and by OEM car manufacturers.

for the rust, the best bet is to remove it,t o bare metal, then use a quality name brand epoxy paint. there are some rust converters you can use as a short cut, SEM makes Rust Mort and Rust Seal both are good products, (avoid at all cost Eastwood rust converter, it actually promotes rust, I have done extensive scientific testing of it after i had failures and found it to promote rust under the paint).

note thatmany rust converter do conatain acids, and acid residur\es will effect many top coat's curing, some paints will not cure when topped over an acidic coating.

You can look up on the internet the spcification for many name brand paints, there you will find what they recommend for under coats, be sure you understand all the coatings and how they interact, some combinations are bad. many name brands also offer professional telephone advice, so you can call DuPont, PPG SEM etc and ask them what they recommend.

do deal with the flexxing under a cahsiis you need some flexable coatings, the VW applied wax caoing is good stuff, these types of coatings can take a good deal of flex and remain water tight, they flow well into the nooks and crannies well, some even self heal if scrathed. in genreal you cannot paint over wax sealers.

i am not a fan of using bead liner, it too is a thick coatin but it is not that flexable, and has the property of hiding any rust that forms under it, you may not notice bad rust under it until the metal is gone.

Wurth makes a very nice sprayable under coat that would be a good choice in the wheel wells. but I would hesitate to use it under th whole chassis as there are too many nooks and cranies that can be missed, it will not self heal.

franky with a little bit of surface rust , there are some wax type coatig with rust inhibitors that can be sprayed on over. this will greatly reduce the rust from growing, and allow reapplication and inspection. this can keep rust in check for decades more.

The bentely manual has recommendations for undercoating in the body work section. products are listed, although many of these products may be superseded since teh manual is 20+ old now.

again a call to a major paint maker like PPG, DuPont etc... will gain you lots of useful info on what products are simular to the old ones, or even better. read the Bentlay recommendatons then call a major supplier or two and and find what they recommend.

remember bed liner may look great for a while, but it can hide lots of rust that will creap under it. I hear all the time how great POR 15 looks, but the bottom line is it is too hard to be flexable, and will do a good job at hiding creeping rust, this is not ideal.

sty away from Eastwood paints at all cost, total junk, they were crimminal in teh way they kept selling their garbage after they knew they had failed in formulation, they are rookies at chemistry, they buy bulk cheap paint and relable it as their own.

DuPont, PPG ,SEM spend millions upon millions each year in Reasearch and developement and employ an army of PHd chemists to create exclellent coatings, I trust them, they offer an entire range of compatible coatings for a wide rage of conditons. POR15 is a one product company and hence does not have the research and developement resources needed for the multible type of coatings you need. yes they may be good at making a coating that is good for painting an oil rig, (per their ads) but they offer no automotive coatings that can be top coated properly, or remain flexable. they likley spend more on advertising to the home mechanic than they do on developing a range of good coatings, do not fall for their advertising hype, there are some places where it can be used ok on a car, but not the entire underside, there are much better products for that

your be better off with brush on Rustoleum primer than using POR 15 or eastwood chassis black (rustoleum does take a long time to cure however) look up DP primer for the paint, it is good, then consider a name brand wax based under coat that will remain flexable, and self heal. do not use eastwood wax coating, more junk chemisty from them, the importers of cheap junk.

name brands and coating compatibility are key to success, readup on the bentely chassis caoting instruction in your manual.

PS if you want to top coat the undercoating in the wheel wells, the Wurth product is paintable, so that would be a good choice in the wheel wells, then paint the color, then finally top off with a waxed bases rust proofing. for the underside an epoxy based name brand paint (with or without a COMPATIBLE rust converter under it) followed by a wax type coating would be good
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post!!!

i'm blasting all my undersides with fluid film annually now.
However, on my new syncro that I plan to make a winter car I plan to hold off on the fluid film until the bottom is properly dealt with using products like those mentioned above (was planning on the wurth wax mainly)

Wurth Rust Guard is a remarkable product. Very similar to POR15 and i have real world experience with this working well on some vanagon frame parts for a few years of abuse in salt environments.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is the color match inside the wheel wells an issue?

you can paint over some products - Porsche did it on turbos for example
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is the color match inside the wheel wells an issue?

you can paint over some products - Porsche did it on turbos for example
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for the corter van.

Please get some safer supports under the van.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Dylan was talking in the Corter project and has mentioned it other times that he uses steam to clean everything off all undercoating and road grime the biggest thing to think about before steam cleaning is the cleanup of the removed stuff that will need to be done afterwords.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice project!
Highly recommend Ospho rust converter (follow directions!)
There is a ton of info in the Body/Paint section of this forum. Including a lengthy thread on rust control products.
Good luck and post lots of pics!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see in those pictures that van looks very rust free underneath. In my opinion you would be wasting time and doing a disservice to the van to take off the factory paint and undercoating if there is actually not a problem. I would just pressure wash or steam clean it. while your under there make sure the body drains are not blocked. It there are small areas that have some light surface rust then deal with those areas individually. I'd then apply a fresh coat of wurth undercoat or maybe even a light wax film product.

If your planning to move to say upstate NY or New England, Old England, Germany etc in the near future you may want to consider additional measures but otherwise looks like she's holding up pretty well to me.

Or maybe you just want your rig to be all nice and shiny underneath. That's cool but I'd put the shiny over what you already got.

Get some better support for that thing what ever you do. That looks scary
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
From what I can see in those pictures that van looks very rust free underneath. In my opinion you would be wasting time and doing a disservice to the van to take off the factory paint and undercoating if there is actually not a problem.

I totally agree unless there is something we are not seeing. It looks pretty clean to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
costal_cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont post a lot because there is usually great post like this that give me most of my info... I'm getting ready to do the undercarriage of my syncro this winter.. I have heard a lot of different thoughts but a local shop i know that does a lot of classic restorations recommend this product line

http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chassis-blk-w-rust...nt_id=5512

Seems that there is a rust converter, pre paint cleaner and then paint. Has anyone heard of them or have any thoughts? I have to do something here on the carolina coast
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

costal_cat wrote:
I dont post a lot because there is usually great post like this that give me most of my info... I'm getting ready to do the undercarriage of my syncro this winter.. I have heard a lot of different thoughts but a local shop i know that does a lot of classic restorations recommend this product line

http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chassis-blk-w-rust...nt_id=5512

Seems that there is a rust converter, pre paint cleaner and then paint. Has anyone heard of them or have any thoughts? I have to do something here on the carolina coast

read my above post on eastwood products, I have written more detailed posts before on the Samba discribing the problems with eastwood junk chemicals. the rust converter chemistry is a rust promoter, the rust it produces will be hidden under their crap shit chassis black for a time, then it will bite you big time.

do not buy any chemicals from eastwood, they are no good, customer support is crap, they have known failures and keep selling this shit.

why buy from a discount mail order house that buys the cheapest chemicals, by the drum, and repackages it with their name? they do not employ the army of PHd chemists that DuPnt or PPG or SEM employ. i doubt Eastwood has any meaningful R and D department, the big boys do, and spend millions every year on product testing and development.

Heck it took me a couple weeks of testing with no budget to confirm their chemical rust converter actually promotes rust under the coating.

You WILL RUIN your van if you use eastwoods rust converter, it may not be evident for years, but the rust will form under their shit coatings.

it is doubtful you will save any money on eastwood products, but even if you did, it is not worth putting destructive crap on your van, all the wasted time and labour, just to have it fail.

Buy real profesional paint form an autobody supply house, stick to name brands, and follow their instructions to the letter, beware that not all products are compatible, even within the same brand, so make sure you check with the maker such as DuPont PPG or SEM and make sure the system of coatings you buy are all compatible. (they have excellent web site data on what works together)

Not only did eastwoods crap fail on me, when i called they admitted they were having probelms, yet they kept selling that shit (they must have bought a tank car load of it, and did not want to pay to have it hauled away as toxic waste). they did not refund my money and instead sent my their special paint stripper to remove it from my two cars, then they informed me their paint stripper would not strip the rust converter that was the cause of the problem! talk about amature hour in the chemistry class. reading their customer advice website, there were numerous reports of rust forming under their coatings. Some simple tests i ran proved that their coatings caused the rust, a very agressive, deep pitting, creeping rust. I ended up having the entire underside bead blasted to remove their shit and the rust it caused.

There are also curing issues with their chassis black and it does chip very easily. heck you better off with cheap Rustolem primer than eastwoods crap, I am sure Rustoleum (usually not recommended for autofinishes, but ok on chassis parts) has 100 times the R and D budget of the cheap reseller eastwood.

Eastwood has no ethics when they kept selling this defective product. I'd love to pour the remaining rustconverter i have down their un-ethical lying throats. two cars ruined by them. Bastards!!!

DO NOT BUY EASTWOOD Products
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many ways at looking at this, especially when I would think so many people would be happy to live with such a minimal amount of oxidation..After using some of the Eastwood products and Por 15 (20yrs ago)..to make a long story short..."never again"..Personally I like to have the possibility to see with my own eyes any potential rust that may develop on the vehicle, ...first using a power wash to clean,.. next cover everything with a rust convertor,...after that, then cover with a very light oil such as Gibbs or similar and finally spray over that with a heavy body inhibitor (slightly heavier then fluid film) like a Wurth or CRC product such as this @ http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/?s=06026 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H6zfUcijWQ ...for your interst a good place to start at @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJmBflOEB4&list=PLF9ABA991D496B0EB
costal_cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right I get the gist now.. Thanks for that advice seems that the best way to go on this is with a respectable name brand and deal with the cost that goes along with it. I will check out some of the body and paint threads on rust control.
I just found a garage I can rent a bay with a lift from over the winter so i can do most of the work myself. I will post out some pictures once I get it rolling....
jabowman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the help everyone. There has been a lot of good input here. Couple of things:

1. I definitely will not be covering the entire chassis with POR 15. I would only use it to treat a few small heavily rusted areas,such as the radius arm bushing surfaces visible in the photo I posted. These spots are by far the biggest/ worst on the whole underside.

2. The chassis coat black I am referring to is a POR product, and is made to coat a chassis with variable surfaces such as a mixture of POR-15, paint, and primer. I have heard great things about it, as long as the prep is done right (like everything). I will definitely stead clear of Eastwood, not the first time I've heard that tirade.

3. POR boasts about the flexibility and durability of their products on their website. Also, I have researched this topic on many different forums and it seems that POR products are some of the most highly regarded products available for this exact application. I havent heard reports of any issues with either POR-15 or Chassis Coat due to bending/flexing of the chassis. That is, after all, exactly what the product is made for. As long as the chassis is prepped meticulously, this seems to give some of the most consistent results. Has anyone personal had a bad experience with POR-15 or Chassis Coat on a vanagon frame AFTER thoroughly prepping the surface exactl as recommended?

4. Based on what I have been hearing, I am becoming more skeptical of any type of "hardening" product as the final top coat over the entire underbody. I don't see much of a difference between the rubberized undercoating products ( wurth) and bed liner type products, quite frankly. They both create a "shell" layer than can trap and hide moisture/corrosion. I think the best solution is a non-hardening, self healing type product such as Noxudol or waxoyl. Fluid film looks like an amazing product for corrosion protection by I doubt it does much for sound deadening or physical protection. My biggest concern with a wax based non hardening produc is, again, adhesion. But let's face it, with a sand blaster and a year of free time, I will never get the entire bottom of the van to where a bedliner or rubberized product will ever stick. At least with Noxudol type products I can crawl under there periodically and touch things up with minimal prep.

5. Someone suggested wurth products: Just to make sure I am not missing anything, do they offer a non hardening or wax based product or only the rubberized undercoating stuff? Any other non-hardening products that folks want to recommend? I think there is another forum on this...

Thanks ya'll
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be trying this product on the undercarriage of the Thingamajigger:

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/common...nishes.pdf

Only difference is that my Corlar is black.

The parts are already sprayed in black Imron awaiting undercarriage preparation and refinish.

Come late October I will start the blasting and cleanup to spray the Corlar. Still enjoying the summer to start a project that large.

Body man friend used this on the undercarriage of his 67 GTO and it has held up exceptionally well for a number of years. Topcoat friendly, I may spray Imron color on top of it. Have not decided yet, still have some time to decide.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: