Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc brake conversion questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferguson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Disc brake conversion questions Reply with quote

I am going to be converting my 72 Standard Beetle to wide 5 disc brakes on the front and rear, I have been doing some reading up on it and looking around at the prices,so far CIP1 has the best prices, I have bought a lot of parts from them and so far have been very happy with the things I have got from them, the only kits I have found (without taking out a second mortgage on the house) are made by EMPI, are they the only company that make kits? From the reputation they have about other parts I am kinda leery about putting their brakes on my car, but if that is my only choice I will go with it, these are the ones I am looking at, also is there anything else I would need to install these on my car?

Thanks

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-22-2926
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-22-2906
wrocek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of vendors are out of stock
I have no idea who made them, but there was some words written lately about them, on Samba.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Front-Disc-Brake-Kit-1971-79-Super-Beetle-p/sb-disc-brake-kit.htm
Ferguson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but those are for a Super, and I also am getting the kit with dropped spindles, my car is already lowered and I really don't want to lift it back up

here is my car I already have wide 5 wheels and really just wanting better braking power

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine a few years back from SoCal Imports. It is an AC Industries kit, and I've had no issues.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions Reply with quote

Ferguson wrote:
I am going to be converting my 72 Standard Beetle to wide 5 disc brakes on the front and rear, I have been doing some reading up on it and looking around at the prices,so far CIP1 has the best prices, I have bought a lot of parts from them and so far have been very happy with the things I have got from them, the only kits I have found (without taking out a second mortgage on the house) are made by EMPI, are they the only company that make kits? From the reputation they have about other parts I am kinda leery about putting their brakes on my car, but if that is my only choice I will go with it, these are the ones I am looking at, also is there anything else I would need to install these on my car?

Thanks

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-22-2926
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-22-2906

I'm currently converting my '68 Beetle to four wheel disc brakes in the stock 4-bolt pattern using EMPI kits. I have the rear discs installed and was pleasantly surprised with the detailed instructions and excellent fit. I did not need to shim the caliper brackets at all, as the rotor is centred just fine. I also used to be concerned about EMPI products quality, but I find that many of their products have been improved and they are listening to feedback from customers and dealers. The rotors and brake lines in my kit were Made in Brazil, the calipers and pads Made in China and the gasket kit Made in Germany. My front disc kit hasn't arrived yet, but I will report on that installation later.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
mtdorajohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this what you are looking for?

http://carcraftstore.com/linkpinandballjoint5lugdiscbrakekits.aspx

(once on the web page; select ball joint kit 68-on)

BTW, I put disks on the front and left the back drums and have great braking power without all the E-brake issues of back disk's.... You may want to try only the front's first and see how it feels before investing in a rear swap out.
camlifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm putting an AC 4 wheel disk kit on mine right now. rears fit fine but i'm having a problem with the fronts. the seat for the inner race is cut to deep causing the dust seal to bottom out on the spindle and not letting the bearings be tight enough. called them with the number on the instruction sheet, they said some kits need a spacer under the inner race to set the bearing preload right. there sending me a set now. kind of a bummer to have to wait on them but they were eager to help and are making it right.
Ferguson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after doing some reading and research I think I am going to go with CB performance for the front and rear, they are about $400 more then the EMPI kits, but I think they will be worth the extra money
camlifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on the ac kit. got the shims from them. after installing them behind the inner race rotor fit right but that caused the caliper to be way off. had to cut .100 off the back side of mounting pad to make them line up with the rotor. was not a big problem for me as i have a bridgeport mill, but your average joe looking for a bolt on kit be prepared for things to not bolt right up.
jaywebguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: I'm next Reply with quote

I'll be doing a disc conversion to my 68 also. Thinking about just doing the front though. Leaning towards a 5 wide pattern too.
Ferguson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a lot better choice of wheels going wide 5 for sure
punkabillyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put the empi conversion on the front of my 73 and no issues at all ordered mine through jbugs.com
pumpedto2365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im considering the EMPI front & rear 4 bolt kit for my 71

are there any helpful pointers i should know?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pumpedto2365 wrote:
im considering the EMPI front & rear 4 bolt kit for my 71

are there any helpful pointers i should know?

Stock height? If you don't feel safe using empi spindles, Ghia (late model) spindles came stock with disc brakes. They have different sized holes for the tie rods though on some years. I have EMPI calipers and rotors on Ghia spindles, worked out nicely.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helirich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just the fronts. You know that something like 70% of your braking is by the front brakes. You only need rear discs if you tow. (In a bug?) I'm not sure how they handle the e brake, but most rear e brakes on discs are real small. (Inside the disc) on a standard tranny car, I like a good e brake that uses the whole drum.

Just my 2 cents.
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pumpedto2365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my situation is a little different, i have a kit car based on a 71chassis but in the kit car forum there is no disc brake info.

stock height?
not really, front springs have the skinny leafs out so it sits lower and the rears have been cut and modified so it sits lower with proper camber/caster.

rear shock tower has been removed and custom shock work done so i might have to change that around if the caliper interferes.

question>i seen 2 pix of the rear caliper mounting options, top or rear, is that right or was it just twisted camera photo's

so i am needing rears for sure, and i may as well do the fronts.
i'm thinking i will need a proportioning valve too unless there is another way.

its been years since i've thought about the brake system,
question> didn't the master cly. have a front/rear proportioning built in ?
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kits seems to offer the convenience of having it all in one package vs piecing out. Some question that quality of the kits so if you have some patience (and if it easier on your wallet to space it out) piece it out. I did.

I bought some ghia spindles here on the cheap. I know there might be some purist that might thumb their nose up on me but I got my rotors and calipers at O'Reillys. They were for early type 3 but the calipers were rebuilt ATE with lifetime warranty. How can you beat that with a stick? I doubt all internet sellers will do that.

I did just the front in disc and put the larger front brake cylinders in the back. Runs like a champ. Much better with stopping power then all drums. I doubt I will do rear disc. It such a light car that beep-bops around town. Seems plenty enough stopping power. But to each his own. Best of luck.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferguson wrote:
Thanks but those are for a Super, and I also am getting the kit with dropped spindles, my car is already lowered and I really don't want to lift it back up

here is my car I already have wide 5 wheels and really just wanting better braking power

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you don't see too many late models with wide five wheels, those look really good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferguson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it already had wide 5 drums on it when I bought it, I added the wheels last winter, I am still waiting on doing the disc brakes, I found an oval window that I am going to buy as soon as I can hide enough money from the wife I hope to have it in the next few weeks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: