Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil cooler fan power supply
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler fan power supply Reply with quote

Is it ok to run a power wire to my oil cooler fan from the positive side of my coil or is this a bad idea? I would be using an inline fuse-thank you.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a switched 12v power line from ignition. Since you are putting on an inline fuse, your good to go. I have hooked up fuel pumps to that same service line. No ill effects.
I installed an ext 6 position fuse block for extra electronics, radio, amps, gauges, etc. If you intend to do the same, might be a good idea to put one in.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok great news thank you for replying!
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how many amps the oil cooler fan draws? Perhaps it should have a heavier gauge wire direct to the battery and a relay if you want it off when ignition is off.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler fan power supply Reply with quote

THINGONER wrote:
Is it ok to run a power wire to my oil cooler fan from the positive side of my coil or is this a bad idea? I would be using an inline fuse-thank you.

NO....Not a good idea. You will not have enough current to operate both the fan and the ignition. The voltage drop on that line over such a long distance is bad enough as it is, it's just barely enough juice to power the stock ignition and that's it. On top of that the fan can act like an alternator as it spins down, it will back feed the coil and the engine will remain running until the fan comes to a stop unless you install a diode.

The way to wire your fan is to install a fan relay with diode (anywhere near the fan is good) and use a wire from the coil + switched on lead to the relay to activate the relay. All main line power comes directly from the battery and goes directly to the this way (fuses as needed of course). The minimal amount of power needed to activate the relay will not effect the ignition power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so instead of going directly to fan run that same power wire from coil to a relay and then power fan from relay-does the relay require more than one power wire? Also where would I purchase this relay?-thank you
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my fan wired directly to the starter extra terminal with a fuss. The fan does stay running for a couple of minutes after ignition is turned off.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THINGONER wrote:
Ok so instead of going directly to fan run that same power wire from coil to a relay and then power fan from relay-does the relay require more than one power wire? Also where would I purchase this relay?-thank you

A fused power wire will go directly from the battery to the relay then on to the fan. The relay is nothing more than a high amp switch. The wire from the coil simply triggers the relay which takes very little power to do. Once triggered power travels through the relay and onto the fan. This way the load does not go through your vehicles wiring which is not capable of supporting that type of amperage draw.

Here is a diagram from this site off of a different thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The relay is a universal 12 volt 30 amp relay, looks like a black ice cube and.they come in 4 or 5 prong. Does not matter which one you get there both the same in your case. They are available at most any auto parts store. Just ask the counterman for a 12volt 30 amp.relay, you want the one with the mounting tab. If he looks at you like you speak a foreign language just ask for the manager, this is a very common part. A quick search on google.will give you dozens of.sources.
Here's one, but again local parts store is the easiest.

http://m.delcity.net/store/Relay-&-Socket-Harness-Kit/p_72563
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok-thank you!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler fan power supply Reply with quote

SRP1 wrote:
THINGONER wrote:

NO....Not a good idea. You will not have enough current to operate both the fan and the ignition. The voltage drop on that line over such a long distance is bad enough as it is, it's just barely enough juice to power the stock ignition and that's it. On top of that the fan can act like an alternator as it spins down, it will back feed the coil and the engine will remain running until the fan comes to a stop unless you install a diode.

The way to wire your fan is to install a fan relay with diode (anywhere near the fan is good) and use a wire from the coil + switched on lead to the relay to activate the relay. All main line power comes directly from the battery and goes directly to the this way (fuses as needed of course). The minimal amount of power needed to activate the relay will not effect the ignition power.

Ditto....

And wire per sketch....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that drawing is the same way my rotary conversion is set-up with my oil cooler. I also incorporated an adjustable fan switch so I could control my on and off temp.s. It's the type that uses a probe through the fins. Working with a non-contact laser probe I was really able to fine tune when that fan comes on and off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: