Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royce123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

What tool is used to adjust brake servo push rod to master cylinder piston for a 1 mm clearance? What sizes are the two ports used to loosen and to shorten or lengthen the pushrod?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

No tools required, except for wrenches to get the MC off, you may need pliers to pull the tip out of the pushrod. The clearance is adjusted by adding or removing washers under the tip.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

I think that on the 1977 the free play might be adjusted via the rod in the front, assuming it is a stock master and booster.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

One of the popular aftermarket servos has a threaded tip which is
held in place by a circular knurled locknut.

The ATE (stock) servos have tips with a shank which is pushed into
the hollow end of the push rod. There may or may not be washers
under the tip, and if not there would be no way to shorten the push
rod without further machining, or by improvising a substitute tip.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

It never would occur to me to look in the service manual.

http://kentcomputer.com/samba/adjustmaster.pdf
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

There's nothing relevant in the service manual on the subject. All it says it's
factory-set to the correct length, which we should by now all know is a falsehood.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Except we all know there are many parts that have tolerence issues these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

Funny I would swear in the section to adjust the master cylinder pushrod it says in BOLD, "To adjust clearance on vehicle with brake servo"

I guess my English must be bad.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Funny I would swear in the section to adjust the master cylinder pushrod it says in BOLD, "To adjust clearance on vehicle with brake servo"

That section pertains to the joint between the brake pedal linkage, and booster connecting rod,
not the internal booster push rod that interfaces with the master cylinder. It goes on to state that
the latter cannot be changed, which is nonsense.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
SGKent wrote:

That section pertains to the joint between the brake pedal linkage, and booster connecting rod,
not the internal booster push rod that interfaces with the master cylinder. It goes on to state that
the latter cannot be changed, which is nonsense.

read it again. It refers to the internal pushrod, and why you can't adjust that part on a late bay. You adjust it with the pedal linkage. On a late bay the length of that rod is set, it is not adjustable like an early bay with no servo. Instead you adjust the pedal linkage so that the inside of the eervo is not up against the pushrod.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
... read it again ...

Don't need to read nuthin', I have actual hands-on experience with the parts and the situation being discussed.
It's clear that you have no concept of same. Maybe someday you will have the 'pleasure' of dealing with a
not-right internal booster push rod, and the light will turn on for you. There's quite a few posts here on the Bay
Bus forum that deal with this problem at length, that could prove useful.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
........On a late bay the length of that rod is set, it is not adjustable like an early bay with no servo.

It is adjustable, back when all parts came from VW it didn't matter since they all fit so the books don't mention it, lately some new masters stick into the booster a little too much and cause the brakes to stay on if you don't shorten the rod.
No amount of fiddling with the front pedal to booster rod makes a difference, the issue is internal. If you can't take out a washer, or twist the screw in tip (if equipped) the next option is to make thick shim gaskets to go between the M/C and booster, or grind the end of the rod.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 77 camper brake servo and master cylinder Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
SGKent wrote:
........On a late bay the length of that rod is set, it is not adjustable like an early bay with no servo.

It is adjustable, back when all parts came from VW it didn't matter since they all fit so the books don't mention it, lately some new masters stick into the booster a little too much and cause the brakes to stay on if you don't shorten the rod.
No amount of fiddling with the front pedal to booster rod makes a difference, the issue is internal. If you can't take out a washer, or twist the screw in tip (if equipped) the next option is to make thick shim gaskets to go between the M/C and booster, or grind the end of the rod.
Are you saying that the ATE 211611021AA for $350 or so doesn't fit the late servo buses? I replaced the master, paid to get the good ATE one and had no issues. Are others having issue with those, or the cheaper made ones? They look different in the photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: