Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering column lenght
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veeduboscar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: steering column lenght Reply with quote

Good day to you all,
having to be confined these days indoors,I finally have the time to tackle the task of sorting out my column and steering wheel, that I have left until I could get hold of the correct one....
Is a bug 1960 year, and it has the steering wheel of a karmann ghia,which is sort of "flat" and has a lenght in between its back and the dashboard of 12centimetres.when I put the vw wheel it is going to come forward too much, so I guess the column is too long.
Could anyone know the total lenght of the column or at least the distance between the back of the wheel and the dashboard?
I`ll try to insert a pic to be more clear...
thank you guys and take care!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: steering column lenght Reply with quote

See how much adjustment that you have at the T on the column and the steering box. If not enough, you can cut the end off the inner shaft and deepen the slot and add an new groove for the bolt. We are going to be doing that in the next day or two for a Manx clone buggy. fro how much you are changing, you don't need to do anything with the outer column.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeduboscar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: steering column lenght Reply with quote

Hello andk5591 and thanks for your answer ! yes I'll do what you suggest,which is what I had in mind.....I was wandering what distance should <i keep fron the dashboard to the back of the wheel .....I can only see some pics in the net and I'm just guessing thru them...
thanks a lot and good luck with your Manx, I love them too
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: steering column lenght Reply with quote

As you know, looks like a 1958-59 Karmann a Ghia steering wheel. Therefore, you must have a Pre ‘59 steering column and tube installed.

A 1960 wheel uses a different column & shaft. The splines are not the same as Pre ‘59
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: steering column lenght Reply with quote

You can remove the T and the steering coupler. Loosen your column suppirt bracket (spray a little window cleaner or something on the outer shaft so you can slide it easier). Then you should be able to slide in to see what distance is comfortable.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeduboscar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: steering column lenght Reply with quote

Thank you Rareair, I believe you are right. It happened to me in a 58 I had,that the steering wheel and the shaft had different splines, one coarse, and one fine.I found an old guy that worked for VW and he told me that at some point they do that in order to have a finer regulation of the position of the wheel and allthough different splines,you could still fix it properly and whith the nut tighten, it would not be a problem. I did just that and never had an issue. So I don`t know exactly if that was true, but I'll chech in this one...
veeduboscar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: steering column lenght Reply with quote

Thanks Andk5591, I`m gonna do just that...seen a couple of pictures and have an idea what should look like!
cheers
veeduboscar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column lenght Reply with quote

well, having pulled all apart, the actual difference is not only in the splines (corase shaft, fine wheel) but in the diameter. The shaft is 24mm while the steering hole is 20mm. so I'll have to sort out that first. Thanks again for your help fellows
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column lenght Reply with quote

veeduboscar wrote:
well, having pulled all apart, the actual difference is not only in the splines (corase shaft, fine wheel) but in the diameter. The shaft is 24mm while the steering hole is 20mm. so I'll have to sort out that first. Thanks again for your help fellows

Yup, exactly what I was referring to.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
veeduboscar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column lenght Reply with quote

The splines were no problem, length is different, but it gets solved, diameter is more important and found out that there at least 3 different diameters looking in to the pile of old vw materials(you can not get this new here) 24mm ,21,5mm and also 17,5 that looks like brazilian made vw.I
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: