Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
inch pincher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: 1962 Wiring Reply with quote

yeah i have the headlights with the turnsignals shaved and remounted in the buckets

i have no clue how to fix this mess and i searched trying to find a diagram

the front left headlight works fine with brights and driving lights

the rear left tail light does not work at all

the brake lights do not work at all

the rear turn signals do not work at all

the front turn signals do not work at all

the front right headlight only works in the brights mode

ummmm what the hell is going on?

i need a diagram of what goes to the fuse box, I have a feeling the inputs are wrong or some thing

i keep blowing these fuses

x I I I x I I

if you look at the fuse box from the inside thats what it looks like

when i first got the car all of the lights worked except the rear left tail light was about twice as bright as the other tail light
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusbox is here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/63bugfuses.jpg

wiring and key are here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_62.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_62_key.jpg

As for your wiring problems... sounds like a mess. So many things it's hard to say where to start. Good grounds to all the lights are important. The blowing fuses, hopefully something hasnt happened to the main wiring harness in the roof of the car - I saw that happen once which required replacement.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlebeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds almost like my car when I bought it. You need to slow down and take one thing at a time. Run each circuit from one point to another. Like, from the headlight to the fuse or the other way. Slow and steady. Don't get frustrated because a crossed wire can burn up the car.

Here is how I did mine. This pic is the way it was original.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is what it looks like now. The charging circuit isn't updated because I put in an Alternator kit and the ignition is different because of the Compufire but it should help you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JOe
inch pincher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay making progress

running headlights- check
running tail lights- check
brights- check
front turn signals- check

rear turnsignals- all bad

dun dun dun more work tomorrow

oh and this may sound strange but uhh when i hit my tail lights hard they turn on and off. like if i knock it itll flicker on. i havent opened it up though maybe the wires got loose when i put em back in.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad ground. are there star washers between fender and nuts holding taillights to it as were original? is the screw that holds bulb assy to tailight housing tight?

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAM62BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I got my 62. The problem turned out to be a bad ground in one of the rear tailights. i did some sanding and scraping, and they started to work fine. Check all grounds first. Refer to wiring diagrams......
Good luck
oogee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: 62' electrical problems Reply with quote

I've got a 62' Bug that originally had just a inop speedo. After I swapped it out with one that was working, the far left (drivers side) fuse blew, and the generator light remains on after starting the engine. It actually does not light up when the key is turned on, but after it cranks and starts, it illuminates. Brake lights and horn also do not work. Not sure what wires I crossed when I did the speedo swap out, but I don't think I could have screwed up too much with that simple procedure.
I had a mechanic tell me to check the amps going thru each wire plugged into that fuse slot. I checked, but it's cold. Can someone clarify how to hook up the ammeter/volt tester? Maybe I am hooking it up wrong.
Any one have any ideas?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the wiring diagrams linked to above. NOT the black and white ones, but use these links to the full colour diagram instead:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_62.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_62_key.jpg

The wiring on a 62 is very simple, and it shouldn't be too hard to determine what wire got displaced. I'd just check, circuit by circuit. Check that nothing got pinched when you were in there as well.

And as for current draw tests - those don't sound like what you need to do here. It's more of a current supply test I'd do, which would be to check for voltage reaching the proper places.

But since you asked, if you are going to check current draw at the fusebox, you plug the leads in your meter to the 10amp or 20amp or whatever amp plugs you have (the positive connection in the meter for current-amps is almost always a separate socket - it may be fused internally or not fused, depending on the meter) Then you take out the fuse and connect the leads from the meter to where the fuse used to go, one to each side. Be careful though! Because, if you have a direct short that is causing that fuse to blow, this will also blow the internal fuse in your ammeter. Or if your meter is unfused (it should say) it can ruin your meter.

-Andy
oogee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: 62 wiring woes Reply with quote

I figured out the speedo problem - actually the old cable, where it goes in at the wheel broke off the last 1/2 inch, and was stuck in the dust cap. I pushed the end in, then pulled on the other end to remove it; didn't notice the end was missing. When I went to put the new cable in, it merely pushed that broken piece back through the dust cap, making it look like all was well. I figured it all out when I jacked the car up and spun the tire.
My fix for the gen light is still not determined. I kept blowing the fuse on the far left, so I pulled all wires out that were connected to it, and re-connected them one at a time. This car (62' Bug vert') has a 12v conversion, that I think is messing up something. The wire that blows the fuse is related to the turn signals, still working that one.
I could use some help with the gen light still. It is off when I turn the key on, and when I crank the engine up, the light comes on. I checked the voltage on the fuse box, and I am getting 14volts. It's like the light is working the opposite way it should.

Anyone have any suggestions here?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 wiring woes Reply with quote

oogee wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions here?

Did you ever solve it???
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Wiring Reply with quote

14 years later? I hope so.

I sent him a PM to let him know you asked
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Wiring Reply with quote

Maybe he's still patiently waiting for an answer fourteen years on. Very Happy

Quote:
My fix for the gen light is still not determined. I kept blowing the fuse on the far left, so I pulled all wires out that were connected to it, and re-connected them one at a time. This car (62' Bug vert') has a 12v conversion, that I think is messing up something. The wire that blows the fuse is related to the turn signals, still working that one.
I could use some help with the gen light still. It is off when I turn the key on, and when I crank the engine up, the light comes on. I checked the voltage on the fuse box, and I am getting 14volts. It's like the light is working the opposite way it should.

The gen light not coming on with key on/engine off means it's not getting power from the fuse block or speedometer bus bar -- assuming the oil light functions normally, it's likely the speedometer bus bar is cracked/broken or conversely you have a bad ground through the VR terminal 61. With the gen light coming on when the engine is running, that tells us you have power coming into the speedometer via the VR terminal 61 wire and it is finding a ground path -- most likely through the turn signal bulb and flasher, though the Gn/Wt/Bk turn signal power wire or signal switch itself may be shorted to ground. The latter possibility would also explain why the turn signal blows fuse 1 when it's connected to the fuse block.
oogee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Wiring Reply with quote

thanks Mr B for letting me know!

I sold that Bug quite awhile ago, I think in 2010. I never did figure out the gen light problem. I'm now sinking $$ into Buses...

But thanks for the explanation!

Previous:
Type 1: 1956, 62, 69, 71, and another '69
Type 2: 1971, 74, and another '71
H2O: Mk4 Jetta, Mk4 Golf, Mk6 GTI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: