Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Positive battery cable issue
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Positive battery cable issue Reply with quote

So I went to start my bus this morning and it barely clicked before it acted like the battery was dead. No power to anything. So I swapped the battery out, assuming it was a dead battery (7 years old ) and the bus started right up. Problem solved... Wrong! It started fine for two more starts then bam, acting dead again. I measures the volts across the battery,12.56. So I reconnected the positive again and it started right up. Then I tried a second time to start it and same issue again, dead. I loosened the positive cable on the battery and wiggle it, problem solved... I can do this over and over again with the same results. What might be the issue? Could it be the starter? Or maybe just a shirt in the cable? Any help would be great. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there could be a shirt in the cable but I dont see what that has to do with your bus. The cable has probably worn through somewhere or there is corrosion on either end. Time to climb under and check it out. Battery cables are cheap to replace
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured. I didn't have time today to investigate too much and it was dark by the time I got home. I figured I would replace the cable this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your ground at the battery, ground bolt, and ground strap under the bus too.
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the cable. Look at the connection at the starter or if you have one of those cheap aftermarket clamps on the battery end.

I just had to do this, a few months ago.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: