Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Selector shaft seal removal
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

Silly question,
Is it possible to replace the selector shaft seal w/o dropping the whole tranny? Space looks a bit tight esp. on the reverse light housing side. Just want to make sure its doable before I jump on it.

Cheers.
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this must be a silly question, eh?
I think i can remove and replace the selector shaft seal while trans is in place, right?
Cheers.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't specify 2wd or syncro. Do you have an old fashioned seal puller? I would think if you can get access you can remove and replace the seal. How much is it leaking? I am pretty sure the seal is above the level of the fluid. Be careful not to scratch the aluminum with the end of the seal puller.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, we need to know what you're working on specifically Smile

That said, on my 2.1 2wd westy IIRC it was easy to get out but a bit of a pain to get in, I think I had to go through the wheel well with some extensions and the appropriate deep socket.
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a syncro.
The leak is minor but enough that it coats all the shift boots and parts below it. The oil eventually makes its way to the skid plate rail where it ends. It doesn't leak significantly to the point of dripping on the ground by any means. More a light, fresh coating on all parts near the seal.
would you suggest to leave it until its worse or when i have to rebuild the mother? The stock tranny is mated to a 3.0 suby so its a matter of time before I will need Daryl to rebuild it.
I do like all my stuff neat and clean so if its easy enough to replace I will.
i dont have a puller... I thought i just needed to unbolt the reverse light housing on the other side of the shaft, then i could fairly simply work the seal out by hand and repress a new seal on the shaft. Correct me if i am wrong.
cheers.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try it your way. The seal would be easier to remove with the main shift rod removed. If you don't destroy the old seal, you can use it with a hammer to install the new seal. In answer to your question, I believe you can change this seal while the trans is installed even on a syncro. Good luck.
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to replace the selector shaft seal on my 1985 Westfalia. Van Cafe has a short description here: https://www.vancafe.com/020141733D-p/020141733d.htm but one part is confusing me:
Quote:
Someone shared with us some more detailed instructions that I have added here. Yes it can be done instead, remove the whole reverse switch cover, 3 x 11mm M7bolts, be aware spring pressure and there's a metal cup on top of a circlip on the shaft that may be displaced and fall out; remove the ball arm from the right side and then ensure that in neutral and you will be able to push the shaft through the box, when the threaded end is almost at the seal it will probably feel stuck, a gentle tap may be required.

What does it mean that "it can be done instead"? Instead of what? Is there a way to do it without having an unobtainable spring go flying across the garage?

Weddle Industries has an interesting Tech Tip on their web site where they list the part:
Quote:
Tech Tip: To prevent damage to the sealing lip, we recommend installing the replacement seal after the selector shaft is in place. This will require a deep socket or some other suitable tube shaped tool for installation.

Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

Only speculatin' here, but perhaps that sentence is the victim of unchecked spell-check, and the author in fact intended to write, "Yes it can be done in situ, ..." In situ being a Latin phrase which translates to "in position" or "on site"; in other words, w/o removing the gearbox from the vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

You can remove the old seal with the selector shaft still installed. The problem is the seal is tiny and it's hard to fish it out without scratching the case or the shaft.

With the selector shaft removed, the seal is easier to remove with a conventional seal puller. Weddle method of installing the seal would keep you from accidentally damaging the new seal.

Removing the retaining cover, I don't recall something "jumping" out of the case and flying across the shop. If it does, its a decent size spring that you should be able to easily find.
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

So far so good. I removed the reverse light switch housing. But I'm kind of stuck here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's kind of hard to see, but there is a cup surrounding the shaft that has an inner sleeve. In front if that is a sleeve that has a lobe on it. I can't get the cup off with the lobe on the sleeve in the way. It doesn't want to be pulled off and I'm afraid I'll bugger it up if I use a tool. Should I tap the shaft to force both parts off?

Last edited by Nuthin2It on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

It should come out as an assembly. Be sure you are in neutral. If so, tap the opposite end with a brass hammer. No wailing on it. No brass hammer? Put the nut back on to protect the threads from a steel hammer. It should take minimal force to tap it out. If it’s in gear, you won’t get it out.
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

I may be thinking about this wrong. Do I need to push the shaft over towards the passenger's side or the driver's side to get to the seal?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

The shaft assembly comes out the l/s of the transmission. Opposite the shift lever side.
Yossarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

Any other tips on this? I'm about to replace the seal as part of a rebuild of my shift linkage.

Preferred method it sounds like is to remove the reverse housing, ensure the trans is in neutral and remove the selector shaft from the drivers side of the tans. Then remove the seal, reinstall the selector shaft and install the new seal with the selector shaft in place?

Advice much appreciated. There are so many great videos on yt about all these little projects but oddly I don't see one addressing this one.

Cheers!
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

I replaced mine by removing selector shaft, then placing an aluminum bar a tad bit larger than selector shaft diameter into the selector shaft bore to punch out the old seal. This was the only way to get old seal out in my case.
The aluminum bar must be long enough to reach across the trans, but not too long or you can't fit it into the bore. AND DON'T LET IT FALL INTO TRANNY!
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

Yossarian wrote:
Any other tips on this? I'm about to replace the seal as part of a rebuild of my shift linkage.

Preferred method it sounds like is to remove the reverse housing, ensure the trans is in neutral and remove the selector shaft from the drivers side of the tans. Then remove the seal, reinstall the selector shaft and install the new seal with the selector shaft in place?

Advice much appreciated. There are so many great videos on yt about all these little projects but oddly I don't see one addressing this one.

Cheers!

I did this a couple weeks ago pretty much like you describe, removed reverse switch housing, and with trans in neutral, slid the selector shaft to the left just enough to pop the old seal out (mine came out easily with a little gentle prying with a small screwdriver, ymmv here) and then popped the new one in using a large socket to 'press' it in evenly by hand and with a smear of RTV around the outside to help seal/glue it in place. I then slid the selector back into place and reinstalled the reverse switch housing. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Really, the only thing I did differently from your description is installing the new seal before putting the selector shaft back in place. Seems to me it will be much easier to get the new seal in place first without the shaft in the way.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

Vana Guy wrote:
I replaced mine by removing selector shaft, then placing an aluminum bar a tad bit larger than selector shaft diameter into the selector shaft bore to punch out the old seal. This was the only way to get old seal out in my case.
The aluminum bar must be long enough to reach across the trans, but not too long or you can't fit it into the bore. AND DON'T LET IT FALL INTO TRANNY!

I just remembered, the procedure above was to remove the shaft bushing. A plastic bushing that goes in before the seal.
Yossarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips, I’ll get to this part of the project very soon, will report back on how it goes
Yossarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

Vana Guy wrote:
Vana Guy wrote:

I just remembered, the procedure above was to remove the shaft bushing. A plastic bushing that goes in before the seal.

Ok, since you mentioned it maybe you’ll know - I have everything apart and am replacing the bushing as well as the seal. The old bushing was pretty loose inside the trans, got it out without too much trouble. Tried to install a new replacement bushing and it was tight enough that I had to use a socket to push it in. Still wouldn’t seat all the way, ended up damaging the lip. Since it was in much tighter that one was tricky to get back out (and was now destroyed).

I ordered a couple more to try again. Any tips on this? Anyone else find it a tight fit?
Itsasickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Selector shaft seal removal Reply with quote

Yossarian wrote:
Vana Guy wrote:
Vana Guy wrote:

Ok, since you mentioned it maybe you’ll know - I have everything apart and am replacing the bushing as well as the seal. The old bushing was pretty loose inside the trans, got it out without too much trouble. Tried to install a new replacement bushing and it was tight enough that I had to use a socket to push it in. Still wouldn’t seat all the way, ended up damaging the lip. Since it was in much tighter that one was tricky to get back out (and was now destroyed).

I ordered a couple more to try again. Any tips on this? Anyone else find it a tight fit?

I read this on Weddle's site (https://weddleindustries.com/products/020-141-711-A/020-141-711-A):

SELECTOR SHAFT BUSHING FOR VW 094 TRANS, GENUINE VW. NOTE: ALL EXISTING NEW STOCK HAS A MOLDING DEFECT - EACH PART WILL REQUIRE SANDING OF O.D. AND POSSIBLY I.D. TO OBTAIN PROPER FIT ON SHAFT. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PART UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO SPEND AN EXTRA 10-20 MINUTES ON MODIFICATION BEFORE INSTALLATION.

Manufactured by VW

Not sure if this applies to the stock on Van Cafe...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: