Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bundeswehr Typ 181 parts -> US 1973 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Bundeswehr Typ 181 parts -> US 1973 Thing Reply with quote

I recently purchased a US spec 1973 Thing. Does anyone know what Bundeswehr Typ 181 parts will interchange with a US spec 1973 Thing? Items that I'd be interested in would be steering wheel and the gas heater. My car does not have the gas heater, and the steering wheel is cracked.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems from previous posts steering wheels changed mid-1974 model year (VIN unknown as of now), so unless you swapped out more then just the steering wheel, anything prior to the mid-'74 switch should be okay.

As far as I know (not totally definitive), gas heaters when originally equipped were never changed.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd take my time with the research. It may be that military 181's have a two spoke wheel. I believe they also have the wiper switch in the dash rather than on the steering column. If that's the case, the steering column might be different than the ones on both the 73 and 74 Thing. Maybe from an earlier Beetle? I don't know, but you should get a solid answer before you start buying parts.

Installing a gas heater in a car that has never had one will take some determination. I seem to remember reading that one forum member offered another a template for drilling the holes. Question: on a U.S. '73 Thing with no heater, what accommodation is there for a defroster?
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that the BW Typ 181 had a two spoke wheel, it would seem that if the nut and the steering shaft are the same as my US spec 1973 Thing, in theory, they'd swap out.

Ah, good point on the turn directions, they'd be a easy swap, remove dash on my Thing and replace with BW one, hook up the switch. Had to do that with my 1985 Citroen 2CV6, built turn directional switch with two, two position switch, mounted to a plastic faceplate, and screwed it into the dash. What was nice was that I then had emergency flashers as well as turn directionals!

As for the gas heater, the BN-4 was removed from my car, but the temp switch is still there. If I could get all of the BW bits, in theory, it should mount in my US spec Thing.

I need to locate a BW tech manual . . .
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Bundeswehr 181 vehicles with both the 2 spoke wheel as well as the more conventional one you're used to. one in particular i remember as a 69 had the "import" wheel. Possibly a motor pool swap of the column...
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stering wheel on the bw cars also change on 1974... for the 4 arms one...

Mine 181 was an ex-bw... is from 1978 and have the wiper switch on the stering colum...

The bn4 heater only have one "hole" under the dash... and for the card boxes under the dash for the windscreen...
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing a resto on a 74 that has a BN2 installed. Very interesting mod. The pre US Type 181 for Europe came with the 2 spoke wheel like the one in a 66 bug. But the Post US Type 181s came with the late model bug wheel. During assembly of the European 181 the factory tended to install whatever part was on the shelf. Euro VWs had 6v volt systems as late as 1970. My wife's first car was her Dad's 66 Euro sunroof bug. It had all kinds of cool stuff not seen in the US until a few years later or not at all. In the late 70s there were Things shipped to Indonesia that had the old 1200 motor with swing axle and reduction boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses! I was able to locate an interior shot of a Bundesgrenzschutz Typ 181, and it has a two spoke wheel with turn directional on the column.

Assuming I can locate the bits, and the cost, it does not appear it will require too much effort to change out the steering wheel, as well as the dash plates.

http://www.fahrzeugbilder.de/name/einzelbild/numbe...Kubel.html
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going swap out the light switch as well? There are some BW Thing wiring diagrams here:

http://www.vintagebus.com/
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
I am doing a resto on a 74 that has a BN2 installed. Very interesting mod. The pre US Type 181 for Europe came with the 2 spoke wheel like the one in a 66 bug. But the Post US Type 181s came with the late model bug wheel. During assembly of the European 181 the factory tended to install whatever part was on the shelf. Euro VWs had 6v volt systems as late as 1970. My wife's first car was her Dad's 66 Euro sunroof bug. It had all kinds of cool stuff not seen in the US until a few years later or not at all. In the late 70s there were Things shipped to Indonesia that had the old 1200 motor with swing axle and reduction boxes.

The first 181s were made in Germany in 1969... and they have the two spoke stering wheels, like the 1200 std beetles and the fridolins. They were used until 71 or 72 on beetles... and the rest of them were used on the 181s until late 73, early 74. The european models were being build on Mexico side by side with the USA and mexican models (with several diferences like the rear lights from the super beetle)... The US versions have been made only for two years, and have seal lights up front... etc, etc... maybe in that time they use both types of wheels.

In Indonesia they also assembled the 182, the rhd version of the 181s...

When you say that beetles have the 6v system until 70s is true... but in 1967 they also have the 12v system for the deluxe models... VW also used the the metal sunroof at the same time that used the rag top on the std models until 1966... They simple used all the old parts until they finished... Laughing

The 181s from the BW have two fuse boxes... one for the "civilian" lights, and another one for the "black out" ones...
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My years of gathered data on the VW Thing agrees with your posted facts. My wife's 66 metal sun roof Euro bug was a 12 volt deluxe model and it had the back up lights on the rear bumper as seen in the 67 Bug US models. I definitely agree that the Euro and Indo models were built using parts until the supply was exhausted then they use the next group of parts (to include the steering wheel issue). The 182 rhd was used in the countries that had enjoyed British "invasion" including Indonesia, The Bahamas and more. in 2004 we imported ( through Berlin) a Swiss civil service, Red (factory color), 1975, Civil Service, Type 181. It had the late model (4 spoke) steering wheel, the bus style tail lights, small front turn signals, ribbed engine deck lid and sported a factory installed 1500 single port motor matched to a LSD swing trans with reduction boxes and 15" stock steel wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:
I do believe that the BW Typ 181 had a two spoke wheel, it would seem that if the nut and the steering shaft are the same as my US spec 1973 Thing, in theory, they'd swap out.

Ah, good point on the turn directions, they'd be a easy swap, remove dash on my Thing and replace with BW one, hook up the switch. Had to do that with my 1985 Citroen 2CV6, built turn directional switch with two, two position switch, mounted to a plastic faceplate, and screwed it into the dash. What was nice was that I then had emergency flashers as well as turn directionals!

As for the gas heater, the BN-4 was removed from my car, but the temp switch is still there. If I could get all of the BW bits, in theory, it should mount in my US spec Thing.

I need to locate a BW tech manual . . .

I don't understand why you had so much trouble with the 2CV switch, there are millions of 2CV parts around for a song. If you needed them, send me a PM.

I am translating the Tech manual as we speak into English, I have more time now and will be wporking on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: