Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

Anyone having experience of NDIX on 36 hp based engines? Are they possible to jet for a 1300cc engine (69,5 mm crank, WW okrasa heads, 8:1)? I am thinking of using the ones with the 24 mm venturi. But, as they where intended for a 1600 cc engine from the beginning I am worried that there is no jets small enough.
blacksheep214
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zenith was also marketed and sold as a tune-up for the 1200 34/40 hp engine. So the possibilities should be there. Old claudes buggies tuning charts lists jetting for a 1200.
I've bought a zenith/intake carb off ebay for a 36 hp, but haven't tried to see whether it works yet.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

My intention is to use them in a double configuration using manifolds for the Okrasa heads.

Do you have the jetting charts from CB so you can share and do you know the "standard" jetting in those kits? If the intake was a non-plenum I guess the jetting can't be too far off a dual set-up.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this will help a little.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I was looking for! Many thanks!
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my vintage speed 36er with Zenith carbs. Its a 1558 83x72. Built it and was in the final stages of assembly, then someone called me out of the blue an bought the car I was going to put it in. The car wasn't even for sale at the time. Laughing Haven't even fired it up yet. Got me a '56 kombi earlier this summer and thinking of putting it in there. That wasn't my original idea and still don't think it is the right engine for the bus so I am still looking for an early bug to put my engine in. Working kinda ass backwards now huh.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how close that looks to the 1958 Porsche 356 Engine, The Zenith NDIX 32's were used on.

Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

Finally have been able to get back on this engine. I had sold the car that I planned on putting it in. Picked up a new car last December and about have it road worthy. So I started finishing up this engine to put in the car. I have everything about dialed it so I can brake in the cam, tune it then stuff it in the car. I am looking for some info on the oil filter inline restriction. What is the easiest way to put the restriction in the inlet, and how big is the inner diameter of the inlet fitting after the restriction? Have read some conflicting info. Any help would be great. Thanks
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

When I checked for the size of the restrictor, the answer was 1.0 mm.

If someone have other information, please call in.

Edit: in last post: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...restrictor

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

Joshua B wrote:

Finally have been able to get back on this engine. I had sold the car that I planned on putting it in. Picked up a new car last December and about have it road worthy. So I started finishing up this engine to put in the car. I have everything about dialed it so I can brake in the cam, tune it then stuff it in the car. I am looking for some info on the oil filter inline restriction. What is the easiest way to put the restriction in the inlet, and how big is the inner diameter of the inlet fitting after the restriction? Have read some conflicting info. Any help would be great. Thanks

What an awesome engine!
Looks kinda original with all the 25hp parts Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

That's a good looking engine.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

With regard to jetting, there's a seller on eBay based in Italy who seems to offer any jet you want.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-NDIX-MAIN-JETS-/291250396201?vxp=mtr&hash=item43cfe05c29

Cheers,

Pau

Richard Feynman
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys! Got the engine stuffed into the car, Was able to weld up the 90 inlet fitting and drill the hole for the restriction. Now I just need to wire the car so I can fire the engine.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

OT Alert.

Joshua B, how do you plan on hooking your accelerator cable to the Porsche linkage?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

When I fabbed the Porsche linkage to the VW shroud I moved everything to line up the way VW originally had the accelerator cable come into the engine bay. Then I cut and welded a piece of tubing to the rear tin to guide cable up. After that I cut the accelerator cable cable to size and installed one of the cable shortening kits.
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

Here are some photos: They are a bit tough to see but it is a tight fit on the install. Before welding on the linkage I tried to dial in the geometry as much as possible. There there is linkage adjustment at the back as well.

I installed the top end while it was on the jack about and not fully connected to the trans. It made it a little easier. Laughing

I welded up the oil filter inlet fitting and drilled it our for the restriction. Does this look correct?

oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

Hi Joshua,

Your motor looks great! I've got a 1500cc 36er with the same early Porsche fuel filter. On your install of the fuel lines from the pump what is the diameter and did you need to tap the pump to match the filter which I believe is larger?

Thanks
Trevor
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

oldbusboy wrote:
Hi Joshua,

Your motor looks great! I've got a 1500cc 36er with the same early Porsche fuel filter. On your install of the fuel lines from the pump what is the diameter and did you need to tap the pump to match the filter which I believe is larger?

Thanks
Trevor

Thanks! I used the pre Zwitter 8mm split fuel pump. I then used 8mm OD stainless with an 8mm union Tee and had some 8mm banjo fittings tigged to my lines to connect to the carbs. Mocked it all up in copper first to avoid any costly mistakes. The T is a compression fit with hex nuts to tighten. This way if I was a little off or to aid in removal it could be adjusted or removed at the T. Also for trouble shooting, I could easily add a fuel pressure gauge. The banjo fittings were the hardest part to find. You live in Canada so the metric stuff should be way more available.

Hope that helps.
JonnySox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

It looks to me like most everyone is using a behind the fan linkage? I called GB and their 452 says it works with some modification....I would love to see pics of what linkage your using for your Zenith dual carb set up. Thank you in advance. JON

-1956 Vert
-1956 DD Panel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX on 36 hp based 1300cc Reply with quote

I am planning to run a CSP linkage with my zeniths
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: