Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

http://www.eagleday.com/ampconnectors.html
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=A122414-ND
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/827551-3/A106202-ND/2054418
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/880810-1/A105234-ND/2054432

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

grtfldan wrote:
re use the old connectors, use heat shrink to connect the boots and such. they dont make the boots new so reuse when you can.

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all of your help..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

reefkeep wrote:
I saw mentioned that Kyle makes up these harnesses I just got the price of the new modern version of the L-Jet FI Harness is $399. And he also says no core required, so the question is where is he getting all of his new connectors for the ECM and AFM and other things?

Possibly pillaging from bad harnesses and old cores. I used 3/4 heat shrink for my final outter coating. Just didnt heat it all the way snug

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

Along with the shrink wrap tubing I used a bit of this on areas with potential for chafing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1OOTDM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

reefkeep wrote:
I saw mentioned that Kyle makes up these harnesses I just got the price of the new modern version of the L-Jet FI Harness is $399. And he also says no core required, so the question is where is he getting all of his new connectors for the ECM and AFM and other things?

Have you looked on the internet?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

Yes I have, been looking on the internet for a solution for awhile now so I decided to came hear to get the help I needed. Everybody has been wonderful sharing there projects and ideas. I have ordered everything I need to rebuild my harness. Will share the project on it's progress and when it's all done . Want to thank every one for your help, this is what makes this site really rock is like people like yourselves .

Last edited by reefkeep on Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

It would be cool if someone could make a wiring plan, so you could take it to Kinkos and have it printed. Mount it to a board and assemble away.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

Hey that's a great idea I'll try to work it into my project
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

reefkeep wrote:
Yes I have, been looking on the internet for a solution for awhile now so I decided to came hear to get the help I needed. Everybody has been wonderful shearing there projects and ideas. I have ordered everything I need to rebuild my harness. Will shear the project on it's progress and when it's all done . Want thank every one for your help, this is what makes this site really rock is like people like yourselves .

Keep us posted, sounds like a good project!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

Well this is the finished FI harness with a few loose ends to deal with. Have learned a lot building this harness, between work and the creeping crud I managed to finished the harness, will be adding more photos and comments along the way.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

Fantastic work! That really looks spectacular.

Do you have the manufacturer and part number for the new connectors you used? Particularly the boot and connector at the AFM?

Cheers.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/880810-1/A105234-ND/2054432

https://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=A122414-ND

Digikey PN: A27935CT-ND

Digikey PN: A107135CT-ND

Digikey PN: A100770CT-ND

Digikey PN: A106202-ND

Digikey PN: A106202-ND

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FS9K53U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FS9K69I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMM4YUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00788LS0S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00788IUJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the list of tools and connectors I used, these are also listed in the first part of this of this post

Last edited by reefkeep on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

Here's some block diagrams that will help and if you have VW shop manuals wiring diagram they will also be of use.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

I charge my clients $100 an hour. When I work at my day job with retirement, edd, soc sec contribution, vacations, holidays etc the state pays about $75 an hour. Think I will pay Kyle cause he is cheaper than using my time on this. I did rebuild my old harness as a temp measure but that only cost me less than an hour's time to replace the connectors and rubber boots.
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

I do these kinds of projects for my own satisfaction and a bit of challenge not that I would do it ever again. I share my information so that it would help people like myself that do want to do it themselves. It's very time consuming but I know in the end I did it myself. Yes I thought about Kyle's way and $$, but now I have the knowledge and the tools to do it again on some other project down the road.. Very Happy
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I charge my clients $100 an hour. When I work at my day job with retirement, edd, soc sec contribution, vacations, holidays etc the state pays about $75 an hour. Think I will pay Kyle cause he is cheaper than using my time on this. I did rebuild my old harness as a temp measure but that only cost me less than an hour's time to replace the connectors and rubber boots.

Really? Rolling Eyes Your wealth of mechanical knowledge is only superseded by your rediculous life lessons and pointless advice you seem to think the community has to take as unquestionable gospel.

Pay someone to do it, because it's not worth doing yourself, yet remember, (your words) it's a 40-50 year old car so you can't expect someone else to fix one's problems and you need to be able to do it yourself if you expect to be able to own a VW bus, with a cue the bear video somewhere. C'mon stop being a walking contradiction

With regards to the harness, I've done it, you have done it, at least 3 others in this thread have done it, there is a great tutorial with pics, but yet you seem to think it's not worth doing now for anyone else thinking about it. This is a how-to thread in fact. I'm sure Kyle get great business, but it's not the only way to skin a cat, nor is it remotely your place to preach what others decide what their time/experience/tooling is worth. It's adding nothing tangible to the hobby.

How does that idiom go, something about my mother and not having anything nice to say....

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:

How does that idiom go, something about my mother and not having anything nice to say....

Seems like you already broke your own rule. I hope you're joking, otherwise that's kind of a d*^% move man. Garbage like that really ruins this place.

He's right. Just because all of us don't have hours and hours to spend on these harnesses, and there's already someone out there that has a good business supporting these harnesses (and makes a quality product), doesn't mean we should all spend our free time because YOU said it's possible...great information sharing, but relax a bit.

I've bought two of Kyles harnesses and they're great. Here's an honest VW vendor supporting our hobby..seems everyone complains when guys like that go out of business....
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

I never meant this to happen at all, let me start off by saying I'm in the middle of restoring my Westy, I would say about 90 %
of it I can do myself and I'm a bit of profectionist and very meticulous on how things get done. Things like body work and paint
I can not do it's just something I'm not good at so I must pay to have it done. With that being said everybody has there own way
accomplishing what needs to be done either you do itself or pay to have it done and there's nothing wrong to pay for someones services
like buying an FI harness, I chose to do my own because it is a little bit of a hybird due to rerouting of the harness because I'm running
it around the front and off to the left side of the engine keeping it away from the all the engine heat. As you well know after 38 to 40 years
of use wires get brittle and hard rebuilding these harnesses usuallly doesn't aways fix the old age so I would say 98% of mine is new due to reusing
some of the old connectors, I'm very happy of the out come it works like a dream.

On closing this story I'm aviaition A&P mechanic of 40 yrs this is where I draw my knowledge and experience from and lot of my knowledge came
from my farther and with that knowledge is power to do anything . Last but not least rebuilding takes time there's no hurry or worries in the end,
it's kind of like building the ship in the bottle it's not done in a day. Very Happy
airhedz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Kyle is still in business? I have emailed and called, with no response.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: