Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine removal automatic trans without VW785 tool
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Engine removal automatic trans without VW785 tool Reply with quote

I want to remove engine only in my 73 Westfalia with automatic trans and I dont have the vw785 tool to support the trans ... would you think I could support it with a bottle jack and piece of wood?
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine removal automatic trans without VW785 tool Reply with quote

I use a ratchet strap, then the bus can be moved if needed.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine removal automatic trans without VW785 tool Reply with quote

I have never understood why it needs anything to support it at all.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine removal automatic trans without VW785 tool Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I have never understood why it needs anything to support it at all.

Some folks like to disconnect the "ear" supports that hold up transaxles when removing late bay engines. If you leave a manual transaxle to dangle, your shift coupler gets all bent up if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, the shift rod bends and transmits vibration into the chassis, which makes the cabin 'hum' with resonance. Extreme cases could probably cause damage to components in the nosecone, but I haven't heard of that myself.

Since the OP has an early automatic, I'll leave it with Bentley.
Robbie

Bentley, Automatic Transmission, 13.2 wrote:

The selector lever cable must never be kinked or bent.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal automatic trans without VW785 tool Reply with quote

I am with Jeff, a ratchet straps works great. However, I cannot remember, does the auto trans mount above the torque converter, like the manual trans does above the flywheel? And if it does, do you even have to disconnect those mounts on as auto to drop the motor, as you don't have to slide it that far back, as you don't have the input shaft to disengage? If it does bolt up there, you may not need to unbolt it at all, then no strap needed. But I cannot remember, I have avoided auto trans's most of my life.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal automatic trans without VW785 tool Reply with quote

Auto engine pull is easy for the reason you state, no input shaft protruding out. I just strapped it anyway, since I didn’t check for carrier bolts. Those bolts are hell to get back in so many wrenchers leave the suckers out at engine installation time.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal automatic trans without VW785 tool Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
Auto engine pull is easy for the reason you state, no input shaft protruding out. I just strapped it anyway, since I didn’t check for carrier bolts. Those bolts are hell to get back in so many wrenchers leave the suckers out at engine installation time.

Those bolts are the reason I carry a small lightweight impact with me on tour. Shhh

For the engine to come out without removing an automatic transmission, I deal with the ATF dipstick tube/engine tin interference by draining the ATF and removing the tube. I hate removing installing that tin, so I don't want to remove the tin to do it that way.

I suppose that's why I prefer removing the engine and transmission together, but I know it's not always possible or ideal working at home.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: