Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Differential oil plug?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMuckian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Automatic Differential oil plug? Reply with quote

New Westy owner, and I've discovered that I have an oil leak from my automatic differential. I was looking at possibly fixing it myself, but have had difficulty in finding much information on replacing the oil on the differential part of the A/T... particularly where the fill plug is. I at least want to be able to check the level/add oil.

I think I found it today, and would like some independent verification if it's not too much of a bother. So, is it this thing here with the huge hex head indicated by the arrow?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks.
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it... drop the pan, check the magnet for filings, replace with new gasket, refill at that plug with gear oil (I like Royal Purple). From your picture it looks like the PO tried to seal with silicone.

I made a tool for pulling that plug with the appropriate sized bolt head (I don't recall the size) maxed out with nuts and lock washers... worked like a charm.

Edit: The plug takes a 17mm hex.
1979 Land Rover Series III 109 Safari
2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Magnum
2004 Range Rover HSE (latest project... looking for a motor!)
JMuckian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for the verification, and the info on getting in there an replacing that gasket. One other question...

... I think I may have a leak from the oil governor on the other side of the differential. I know there's a seal in there, but how easy is that to fix? Can it be done without dropping the transmission?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: