Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

I reviewed the spreadsheet to make sure this wasn’t already mentioned. I zeroed in on St. Louis and I was thinking Italian. Because of the large Italian immigrant population many generations ago there are numerous places to get outstanding food, most would be located in a district known as “The Hill”
Of course there are many other mom and pops waiting to be discovered and the one I’m thinking about began with recipes from some old Italian women from the 1800s. They started with one restaurant and now have a bunch . It’s a local thing but you can get it at the airport too. So if you are ever in STL airport wander on down, grab a beer and look for a place called “The Pasta House” try the salad it’s unique nationally recognized and the dressing is proprietary, it’s a family secret but you can buy it online. Maybe check out their website at
www.pastahouse.com

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Looking at the spreadsheet again couldn’t get it to scroll the states past NE at all. I wanted to mention a small Mom and Pop diner located in Tulsa Oklahoma.
It’s been here since 1929 and serves traditional American comfort food. Award winning chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc. the cooks have been there for decades and it’s a busy place with mixed clientele. It operates like a cafeteria, they load the plates. Reminds of Sunday dinner at grandma’s house.

www.nelsonsbuffeteria.com
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

North Dakota
Minot

Ebeneezer's Eatery and Irish Pub
300 Central Ave E Minot, ND 58701
http://ebeneezersnd.com/

My favorites on their menu:
Beneez’ Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
The Fat Frog
Irish stew
Guinness
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

I'm surprised that Zundfolge hasn't mentioned a little place about 50 miles down the road from him--------The Rock Cafe in Stroud, Oklahoma on Rt 66.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/rock_cafe_stroud.html
http://www.rockcafert66.com/index.html

We had breakfast there and the food, although good, was nothing exceptional.
However----- the historic building, the atmosphere, the friendly staff, and the jolly locals having their morning coffee made for a memorable experience. If you're lucky, you might see the owner ( the inspiration for Sally Carrera in Cars).
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Thanks for the additions..

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Looking at the spreadsheet again couldn’t get it to scroll the states past NE at all.

To scroll through states and others.. go to the bottom of the page.. and use the arrows on the right.
Or use the all sheets (on the bottom left of page) to select a particular sheet state/other.

Welcome to the road trip North Dakota.. Laughing

US states still missing..

Alaska
Mississippi
Montana
Nebraska
South Dakota
West Virginia

All updated.. Wink

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11bmPbm_8rkn6AoDWbYmVgk-lW3HoWSpbeXotJYnBGs8/edit#gid=0

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

^ Done..

I've forgot all about these.. ... until I had the BIG 10.. a few days ago..

Roadside hole.. fried fish joint .. Semi Drive In, Semi Dive Grill.
Expect good typical fried fish.. but the BIG 10 burger is pretty awesome..
Hot dogs are not too bad either.. 5 for 5.. Wink

Cotton's Seafood
Shelby, NC 28150

Update 5/2018
^ the Shelby Cottons is now closed.. due to a bypass around the bypass being built..
Thinkin' Shelby will be Radiator Springs soon.. Confused

Moved here

Cotton's Seafood
1942 Gastonia Hwy
Lincolnton, NC 28092

Cant vouch.. yet.. I'll wait till it's seasoned a bit Laughing

Also.. I was told to try the Hot Dogs here a few years ago.. by a local Sheriff turned Service Manager.. turned Service Writer..

Got to admit.. pretty damn good Hot Dogs w/Chili .
Think old counter service grill.

Barnett's Restaurant..
501 N Post Rd
Shelby, NC 28150

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Thanks for the additions..

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Looking at the spreadsheet again couldn’t get it to scroll the states past NE at all.

To scroll through states and others.. go to the bottom of the page.. and use the arrows on the right.
Or use the all sheets (on the bottom left of page) to select a particular sheet state/other.

Welcome to the road trip North Dakota.. Laughing

US states still missing..

Alaska
Mississippi
Montana
Nebraska
South Dakota
West Virginia

All updated.. Wink

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11bmPbm_8rkn6AoDWbYmVgk-lW3HoWSpbeXotJYnBGs8/edit#gid=0

Montana!
In 2001 we drove from Chicago to Seattle, every gas station and restaurant I stopped at the restroom, or the toilet was not working.
That was weird streak!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

Montana!
In 2001 we drove from Chicago to Seattle, every gas station and restaurant I stopped at the restroom, or the toilet was not working.
That was weird streak!

Hmm inop toilets.. might explain why no food.. Laughing Laughing Laughing
But then again.. mother nature can always take on the load. Laughing Laughing

Usually and often edited
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

That was weird streak!

Nope, we know EXACTLY where that streak came from. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Road trip..

Waynesville NC..

The Sweet Onion
39 Miller St
Waynesville, NC 28786

Birchwood Hall Southern Kitchen
111 N Main St
Waynesville, NC 28786

Both nice.. good food, albiet pricey... great beer selections..

Boojum Brewery and Taproom is also in Waynesville.. and right across the street.
It was slammin' .. so we moved on..
Usually and often edited
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Socorro, Nuevo Mexico: The El Camino. mom and pop shop, generous quantities. this ain't no dang cuisine, this here is food in hungry man quantities. more than their share of lovely youbg lasses with fine narrow footwear is a bonus.

San Antonio, NM: The San Antonio Crane. real central Rio Grande Valley Mexican food, scalding hot chili, and you can see where the chili grew from there. here is a hint about Mexican food places: If you see Escalades and SUVs and work trucks, you are at Taco Bell. if you see off road vehicles, Sanford and Son beater trucks, lowriders and ranch trucks stop what you are doing and get fed right.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Old Stone Steakhouse
23 S Main St
Belmont, NC 28012

Good food, beer, nice small town yet upscale steak house.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pump House

575 Herrons Ferry Road
Rock Hill, SC 29730

Albeit pricey, it's a unique repurposed industrial Catawba river pump station converted to an eclectic restaurant.

Has a main dining with inside/outside seating and an upper roof bar...

Food spot on what you'd expect for such a place..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually and often edited
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Arkansas' only entry is "Pancakes" in Eureka Springs?? Confused

Well, not much to mention around these parts anyway. Lots of places claim to be "one of a kind" or "unique cuisine", NOPE. Lived in this state all my life and can't think of a single place that really sets itself apart.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

^ Interweb.. says.. Pancakes is permanently closed or changed hands and name to The Filling Station?

Confirm.. yay or nay..

Sad.. I found out a month ago my own first DDD recommendation that I've enjoyed since its creation in 1981.... has closed..

Usually and often edited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Well, not much to mention around these parts anyway. Lots of places claim to be "one of a kind" or "unique cuisine", NOPE. Lived in this state all my life and can't think of a single place that really sets itself apart.

Sometimes it’s a regional thing, I can think of one place in Springdale Arkansas actually two locations called AQ Chicken they’ve been cooking chicken since the 40s. On occasion I’ve driven almost 100 miles just to eat there.

www.aqchickenhouse.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Since we’re talking regional here’s a different idea Wintzell’s oyster house located in downtown Mobile Alabama, a city over 300 years old.
J. Oliver Wintzell opened this place in 1938 as a six stool oyster bar. That’s right raw oysters on the half shell outstanding with ice cold beer or as Ollie used to say “fried,stewed or nude” hey if the food was shitty they wouldn’t still be there.

www.wintzellsoysterhouse.com
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Sometimes it’s a regional thing, I can think of one place in Springdale Arkansas actually two locations called AQ Chicken they’ve been cooking chicken since the 40s. On occasion I’ve driven almost 100 miles just to eat there.

www.aqchickenhouse.com

Yeah-- they used to have a place in Fayetteville as well, which I ate a few times when I was going to school. It burned down in early 2000s I believe, rebuilt, and then closed again permanently a couple years ago. The only one left is the Springdale location. Their food is pretty good, but not enough to stand apart from the crowd IMO.

BTW look for a scene shot at the AQ in Springdale in HBO's upcoming True Detective Season 3 (which is supposed to take place around here.)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

What impressed me about the chicken place was the variety of ways it’s served and that thing they do over the coals is pretty good. With all the chain stores/ corporate places I’d go there first. The other claim to fame? Bill Clinton ate there so did Bush😀 maybe that’s a reason not to eat there? Who knows?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
^ Interweb.. says.. Pancakes is permanently closed or changed hands and name to The Filling Station?

Confirm.. yay or nay..

I have no idea if it was formerly "Pancakes", but there is a small restaurant in Eureka Springs called The Filling Station. Had b'fast buffet there a year ago and it was plenty good enough.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

a few new New Jersey ones. Both places have been around for ages but moved out of Trenton and into the burbs. Authentic Trenton Tomato Pies
http://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/index2.html

https://www.papastomatopies.com/

more to follow as i recall all of the places i have been of late....
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: