Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice to new owner
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Advice to new owner Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi all. I just retired after working the same job for 26 years and bought my dream car- an '84 Westfalia! I'm going to drive my two beloved mutts cross country in November, taking my time and camping along the way. The Vanagon has 180k miles, and supposedly has a rebuilt engine. I'm not a mechanic, so I'm having a local reputable shop here in Seattle inspect it throughly before departing on my trip. These are the things I will ask the shop to check:

replace all rubber fuel hoses and clamps
replace brake fluid and check brakes
inspect radiator, coolant lines. drain and replace coolant with phosphate and silica free coolant
grease CV joints
perform compression test and leak test
check transmission and clutch
replace oil and oil filter
check steering
check suspension

Any suggestions what else I should do to the Vanagon before leaving?

I will have my two elderly pooches with me so I want to avoid stranding them for a breakdown and prolonged repair.
Would I be smarter (but >$10k poorer) to swap out the engine for a Subaru?
Thanks to all in advance for the advice. And I'm a newbie to this site so I hope I'm following proper etiquette.

LOVE MY VANAGON!!!
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a good list started and this should be a sticky

add:

1. replace all rubber brake hoses with new factory rubber

2. check the date code on the tires and make sure they are less than 6 years old; if they are replace
- get them balanced & have the vehicle aligned

be sure they inspect the CV joint races & balls not just grease them

Go thru the old service/parts receipts & enter them into Excel including the mileage and service date

then compare the dates/mileages since each service was done with the list that GoWesty has on their website and plan on or get each one done before leaving (especially if it could disable the vehicle)

Buy a Bentley manual and keep it in the Van for an out of the ay mechanic to use, even if you can't

It helps if you are young, flexible, and trained as a mechanic, but you could still buy a Haynes manual and read thru it - also talk to your mechanic and ask for information on how things work, what is likely to fail on a VW Vanagon, etc.

also, go to the FAQs section and look for threads on what tools & parts to carry on a trip - a test light & multimeter will be high on the list
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Trip Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Welcome! Your list is good , and Randy list is good. Also add a AAA card , Lot's of money, and the Vanagon Rescue Squad app on your smart phone. Very Happy https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_vanagon.Rescue&hl=en
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest planning a shorter trip(s) to work out all the kinks. Then when you're done with your trip, take it back to the mechanic and have them go over it again. I'm not sure what shop you are at, but you're lucky to live in an area with a few vanagon specific shops. These short trips will build your confidence in the vehicle, address things you might want to change, and definitely whittle down the camping list. I'd suggest reading some of the threads on here from people who live in their van full time to get an idea of the gear they are carrying.

Also, figure out ahead of time all of the emergency vets along the way. There's nothing more stressful than being in a strange place and having to scramble to find a reputable emergency vet or not knowing where the nearest one is located. I tell you this from personal experience. I now plan appropriately just in case one of my pups gets sick again.
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few additional things I'd have on the list.

1. The fuel rails/injectors are probably original, and if they fail they're right above the exhaust.

2. There is a plastic fuel connector at the engine bulkhead hidden behind the 2 coolant lines. That was apparently for easy engine assembly by the manufacturer, but was not designed for 30 year usage. Plastic gets brittle with age.

3. The high pressure tank cap is something I always have a replacement for in the van.
They occasionally fail to release into the the overflow tank, or fail to even maintain proper pressure.

4. The plastic temp sensor at the high pressure coolant tank.
It's only a $10 item and takes 5 minutes to switch out.
Same reason, could very likely be original, and if the pressure cap fails to release, the sensor cap could be the weakest link.
It was for me.

5. I wouldn't even bother with inspection of the radiator.
If it's not really obvious that it's brand new, I would automatically replace it with a new one.
They're about $170 I think, including shipping, and eliminate a potential headache.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change tranny fluid if it is of unknown age.

check tire pressures

andf like someone lese mentioned, get rid of the plastic fuel rails and bulkhead fitting. you can bypass the bulkhead fitting with a big fat gromment (my fitting cracked, and dumped fuel, very dangerous) the plastic fuel rails can be replaced with metal ones, or even some metal hose tees. the metal rails on mine came from a typeIV 914 motor, metal tees can be had at well stocked hardware stores. the failure mode on the plastic rails is that the rubber seal on the crimped end fails.

todays government mandated gasoline is very hard on these old plastic and rubber parts.

besure the shop only uses the expensive 30R9 hose (NOT 30R7) the R9 hose is lined with a fuel resistance liner. lesser hoses will not last, the R9 hose may well outlast you. well worth the expense.

also get an oil pressure gage installed, this s the single most important add on gage you can have, and wil forwarn you of low oil levels, and potential engine failures before they leave you stranded. this engine is near the upper end of life, sure some cgo further, but you in that range where you want to monitor it, the oil gage is great for this.

besure to follow the owners manual for oil wieghts, you do NOT want to run the modern fuel saving super light wieght oils (unless you drive in the artic!!!) 20W-50 is often a good choice unless you in a cold region, see the Bentely shop manual for recommendations based on temperature. your oil gage will also help you select correct oil thickness. you ideally want about 10 si minimum for each 1000 rpm one the motor is warmed up. (ie about 40 psi min, on the freeway). if you only get 20 psi on the freeway, and you have the recommened oil then suspect that the engien is well worn.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
5. I wouldn't even bother with inspection of the radiator.
If it's not really obvious that it's brand new, I would automatically replace it with a new one.

I would echo the same advise about every part of the coolant system. I just replaced mine and was surprised about the number of things that were about to leave me stranded somewhere (i.e. big gash in a hose to the oil cooler, the plastic coolant tower broke while I tugged on a hose, the t-stat housing was already leaking, a couple really weak hoses).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice to new owner Reply with quote

Good advice in the above.

Definitely a shorter shake-down trip to sort out not just the vehicle but what you need and (more importantly) what you don't need.

If not already you'll want to get familiar with the Rescue Squad and Road Haus Shops Review websites as a hedge against the day when you need a hand.

markscullen wrote:
...I'm not a mechanic...

Not yet anyway.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First - congratulations on retirement and getting a great travel vehicle! Perfect for dogs too.

A great thread for info is http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457174&highlight=maintainance+maintenance

I would add that adding a headlight relay kit and a hot-start relay kit limit the current going through the headlight and ignition switch - both known failure prone areas.
see https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/-the-switch-saver-relay-master-kit
I'd also swap out the ignition switch now - cheap and fairly easy DIY. http://cabby-info.com/OldBlue/files/Vanagon-ReplacingIgnitionSwitch.pdf
I'd resistance check the spark slug wires, pull the plugs, check cap and rotor, and if the coil has not been replaced, I'd just replace it - they degrade with age and the resistance check is not always an indicator for such.
I'd pull the the voltage regulator off the back of the alternator and see if the brushes are in good shape. Also see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363115

I would echo changing out the plastic coolant parts and also a spare of the coolant pressure tank, cap and level sensor. If a new radiator has not been installed during it's life, it's not a bad idea to replace it.

OF course, one can get carried away with replacing everything! Fuel lines and eliminating the firewall fitting is first, as you have planned, and I'd say addressing the cooling system is 2nd.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I really appreciate your advice. I've added your suggestions to my list, and I am taking the van to the shop tomorrow. I plan to ask them to do all that you recommended here.

"an ounce of prevention..."
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None were westys but owned 3 '84's and my favorite, 1 a GL was over 330K and still running well (orig trans),orig eng. If a hot oil press is good & no leaks i wouldn't worry as the 1.9 is tough and u can run at speed limit all u want. Have a '86 syncro and a '88 westy now but still the '84 my fav, simpler too.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I'm going to drive my two beloved mutts cross country in November, taking my time and camping along the way.

I look forward to more photos of your trip. AAA has a special benefit, if you get stranded during a Vacation they pay for your hotel I hear Smile
mirthpeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question about the engine. If it runs good and has enough power for you, then leave it in there. If you check and replace all the stuff that everyone advises, then your Westy should be reasonably reliable.
-Eric
2000 Cabrio- Needs lots of work
2002 Golf TDI- Future Vanagon transplant?
mirthpeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, You did follow proper etiquette, you posted a pic of your van!
Laughing
-Eric
2000 Cabrio- Needs lots of work
2002 Golf TDI- Future Vanagon transplant?
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van passed a full safety on a Thursday. I took it out with the family Saturday for our first road outing without issue 250 miles total.

Monday on way to work a Transport locked up its wheels and I had to slam on my brakes. The metal brake line busted under the extreme pressure and I nearly put my Westy into the back of a semi... thankfully I was in the slow lane and had to wheel it into the shoulder.

Since Clutch and Brakes are hydraulic, I would consider giving them a good test or look see for corrosion. These vans are in the 30 year mark so as important as it is to go, it is more important to stop Smile

The P.O. replaced all the flex lines and brakes before I bought it. False sense of security.

Bring an extra accelerator cable and extra cooling and alternator belts. Simple fix items that I have in the past touring with my 79 Westy had to replace in parking lots across the USA ...

Enjoy the trip, I am envious !!! ......
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an update:
I bought the van from CL. In the ad, the seller stated "rebuilt transmission, motor, and all suspension" (I saved a copy of the ad)
I took the van to Wolsberg Motorwerks here in Seattle to be inspected. Andy (very nice guy) at Wolfsberg told me essentially everything was original. The only good news was the compression test was fine. (He did say one cylinder was surprisingly high-180. Is that bad?)
So I emailed the seller to ask for the name of the shop where he had work done.
I called the shop and asked them:
"Rebuilt engine"? - the spark plugs had been changed.
"Rebuilt transmission"? - new clutch
"Rebuilt suspension"?- nothing done.
As I said, I'm not a mechanic, but new spark plugs don't seem to qualify as a "rebuilt" engine. Stupid me. And the seller seemed so nice.
So Andy is working on replacing all hoses, lines, clamps, fluids, belts, cv joints, plugs, filters, etc. He said the radiator seemed fine. But I will ask him to replace it anyway (thank you Levi).
I asked him about replacing the plastic fuel rails with metal ones (thank you bluebus86) but he had never seen metal fuel rails, only plastic. Could someone recommend a source? He was going to retool the injectors I think.
And I will take the van on short trips to check it out before my cross country adventure (thank you 61scout). I joined AAA too. (Thanks Jon_Slider). Rescue Squad is now an app on my phone (thank you Ahwahnee)
I will post photos of what was done on the van when i get it back from the shop, and later photos of my trip.
Thanks again to all. You've been a great help.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unh....sorry to hear about that.
But, you have a great attitude about it, just keep moving forward.

About the fuel rails....
In my original post I only mentioned them and the plastic firewall connector, I was in a rush.

I'm glad blue bus brought up the metal option.

Here is a link with more info of the situation

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=296263&highlight=fire

Van-cafe has metal fuel rails

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/search?keywords=fuel+rail&x=0&y=0[/img]
gonna see life my way

2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you levi for the source for the aluminum fuel rails. I've ordered two from Van Cafe.
I just got the call from Wolfsburg Motorwerks. So far over $7,000 in work needed, and they haven't event gotten to the engine itself. I think I'll cry. On second thought, I think I'll pour myself a stiff drink! It's expensive, but I know I'm doing the right thing. This was my retirement dream after all. And a man has to dream...
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute! 7, 000!
A list please.....

Seriously, a lot of stuff you can do yourself

And about the engine, the 1.9 is a tough one.
I had almost 250, 000 miles on my original untouched 1.9 that I WANTED to die, (so I could put in a subaru) and it just wouldn't.
I traveled all over the USA in it, quite a few times w/out issue.

It didn't even use oil...
Finally I just gave it away
gonna see life my way

HENDO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to buy a very nice set of tools. YOU, my friend, are about to BECOME a mechanic!

Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: