Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal body clips for plastic coolant lines same as Diesel?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Metal body clips for plastic coolant lines same as Diesel? Reply with quote

Well, somehow I managed to misplace one of the 2 metal body clips while doing a complete coolant hose replacement.

Can anyone tell me if the Diesel Transporters (82) would use the same type of body clip for their coolant hoses ?

Bentley didn't even cover them at all and I thought that perhaps before I try and weasel my way under the 82 that someone may know.

What other options have people used to secure them to the body ?

Cheers !
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I know what you mean by body clips. If you're talking about the metal straps that screw to the underside and also hold the heater hoses as well, then I would use what is known "plumber's tape" It's metal strapping that comes in a roll. It is typically galvanized and has holes punched through it every inch or so. You can find it at Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. It's in the plumbing Department. Some is better (thicker) than others. A good plumbing supply place may have the better type.

If you lost the screws as well, you can use self-drilling, self tapping screws or find some that fit the existing screw holes.

Another option would be zip-ties. You'll find that the floor has ridges in it where it contacts the frame. These will allow small gaps between the frame rails and the floor panel that zip-ties will slip through.

Don't know what years had different diameter pipes but they did change them. so not all are the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 86, there are wire framed clips that look like a set of dental 'braces'. They hook into 2 tiny slots on the cross members and just clip in, no screws or anything.

Yeah, the diesel pipes are smaller and metal instead of plastic .... maybe they changed this clip design a number of times over the years ....
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

per the bentley,if upgrading to newer plastic pipes,use two vw type 181 "thing" fuel pump clamps...no joke.i used these on my diesel when converting to plastic pipes and they worked great!
Part number is 411 261 679
There is a complete write up in the bentley,pages 19-7a 19-7b.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalispell365 wrote:
per the bentley,if upgrading to newer plastic pipes,use two vw type 181 "thing" fuel pump clamps...no joke.i used these on my diesel when converting to plastic pipes and they worked great!
Part number is 411 261 679
There is a complete write up in the bentley,pages 19-7a 19-7b.

I looked under the diesel section and didn't see the pipes in the diagrams under cooling system, oy ....

Thanks for the reference point ... Boy those clamps are nothing like the big wire clip in ones that came from the factory but I can see how they would work just fine. I'll find something like that if another search of the shop doesn't uncover it, thx ...
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are actually quite strong...leave it to the germans to repurpose an item from the 70's which is a perfect fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: