Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cv boot replacement
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
safariboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: cv boot replacement Reply with quote

OK

When you guys see my boot in the pic under the topic "cables at cv joint " it shows a pretty wasted boot. Although it appears to be a "recent" cv replacement all my boots are cracked. What is the easiest way to replace these boots without alot of humbug and mess. What boots will last?

BTW all my front end ball joint boots are cracked the same way. The rubber appears fresh but it looks like someone drove this thru this thing thru the
rubber dead zone. i may have to do them one at a time

SB

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my post on your other question I think you have a bus transmission in your thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted you will need to first resolve the question on the transmission.

Once you do that you will know how to proceed.

With respect to just replacing the boots TTS sells a complete axle all set up:

http://www.thethingshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=181501CV-SET

I have replaced just my boots using this:

http://www.thethingshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=211598201

You will need a special socket/tool such as this to do the job:

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=cv+joint+tool&sort=7&Search1=Search
safariboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on the other thread.

What characteristic/tranny code/pic would give you guys enough to tell what kind of tranny I have.

What problem would one have if there is a 68' bus tranny underneath. I'm about 1 week away from putting mine on the street. I bought it a couple years ago and drove it a couple times around the block then put it on jack stands until now to clean and restore a few things. The cv boots were going to be my last job.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently decided to regrease the CVs and install new boots. I did not have any clicking initially. Post regrease, I now have audible clicking on turns. I did break down the CV joints. Keeping the cages together and only mixing up the ball bearings but keeping them with the CV joints they came from. Some ball bearings had wear as well as the cages. OY VEY!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safariboy wrote:
I posted this on the other thread.

What characteristic/tranny code/pic would give you guys enough to tell what kind of tranny I have.

What problem would one have if there is a 68' bus tranny underneath. I'm about 1 week away from putting mine on the street. I bought it a couple years ago and drove it a couple times around the block then put it on jack stands until now to clean and restore a few things. The cv boots were going to be my last job.

I think the bus gearing is different which may or may not be a problem depending on your use. I also thought I saw something about the angle of the driveshafts. They would be different from a bus and result in premature wear of the CV joints. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this can confirm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: