Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Hi Matt . . . . . as a real HEBMÜLLER VW owner in the past . . . (14-00258) please take photos of your HEBMÜLLER VW
creation and post them on this site !! Over time . . . you will be a legacy as well !! I appreciate all your effort !! . . BoB

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Hacksaw-BoB wrote:
Hi Matt . . . . . as a real HEBMÜLLER VW owner in the past . . . (14-00258) please take photos of your HEBMÜLLER VW
creation and post them on this site !! Over time . . . you will be a legacy as well !! I appreciate all your effort !! . . BoB

Thanks Bob, you have been very inspiring along the way. Pleasure to have met you last year at the Heb Reunion. I have an extensive photo documentation of all aspects. Looking forward to seeing you in September if you are able to make it.

Last edited by VEE DUB BOYS on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Seems like the pursuit of parts can be Endless….
My fellow VW buddy Ed found these parts a couple weeks ago. They are the rear tack strip and rear window. He is a true friend and VW brother and has helped me find so many parts
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:
Seems like the pursuit of parts can be Endless….
My fellow VW buddy Ed found these parts a couple weeks ago. They are the rear tack strip and rear window. He is a true friend and VW brother and has helped me find so many parts

Sure the rear bow is from a Heb? Looks different and rather thick. Might be Karmann ghia style . Hebs had different style of joint to make the 3 parts into one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Peter, this is a rear tack strip from a Ghia convertible up to 1968. Do you have a picture of a rear Hebmuller tack strip?

Passenger side:

Passenger side and rear.

It looks to me like they did not do the joint like you are talking about and made the three pieces to fit separately. I agree, it looks like there is some more sanding/shaping to do. Thank you for your much needed help!
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

That´s where you should end up with.

VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
That´s where you should end up with.

Shocked thanks!! Looks great Carsten
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

No credits towards me.
Mine does not yet look like that.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

A much needed update. Worked on the old gal this weekend. Passenger ribbed door is taking shape

peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Bravo . Looks good. Be sure the gap between the outer panel and the inner pannel is big enough, windowframe in aloy is rahter wider as a normal glass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
Bravo . Looks good. Be sure the gap between the outer panel and the inner pannel is big enough, windowframe in aloy is rahter wider as a normal glass.

Great point Peter. I am constantly having to stop progress and check with original Hebs in Cincinnati. Hopefully, I can measure one in September.
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

If I remember correct the gap should be 30mm all the way?
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Hebster52 wrote:
If I remember correct the gap should be 30mm all the way?

You have a good memory Wink
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

One question I would have is how does that affect the inside and outside dimensions? Does the outside door opening from the sedan remain the same or does it change?
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Had a little time to work on the tribute car today. Tightened up the cowl supports. I already had the majority of the work done on them, but had to get
the angle correct. A shout goes out to the Ken, Helen and Steve Swan family for letting me make templates of Heb 428 way back in March of 2016! Fitted nicely to my buddy's 1950 standard. The angle is so drastic on the Hebmuller compared to a sedan. Also, the inner rear door panel mounting area needs to be moved outward for the clearance of the convertible top mechanism. This is the reason for the cowl support not being all the way snug to the wheelhouse.

Last edited by VEE DUB BOYS on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Also started working on the new cowl. The previous cowl was a practice piece only. Warpage occurred while peening the 84 holes. There were maybe 6-8 hammer strikes per hole!

After some metal straightening:

Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Nice!
Here you see the innerpanel from b-pillar and backwards. Later bodies also have punch holes as on my template.

The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Thanks Kristian! The friends world wide have been a great help!
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Small victories are still fun to post. Here is the bump on the cowl for the trim.

peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

nice detail again . That bump is bolted on the rear cowl and afterwards leaded together on older Hebs. Later cars had it pressed in the rear cowl. The same for the rain gutter. First series was hand made, second was a pressed rain gutter and welded on the rear cowl, last serie was in one piece pressed.
Greetings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: