Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

My speedo pod for the Heb. It's in ratty shape, but fairly complete.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Been over a year since my last update. I will be starting the build with a tired 53 oval. Floor pans, and heater channels are going to be the starting point. I will be building it from the chassis up with many new parts and refurbished original quarter panels and ribbed doors.

Notice the early rear quarters with the double trim hole toward the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlmartinez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Glad to see you are posting again. Looking forward to updates.
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Nice!
Strange though... The service hatch behind rearseat was ended in june -52....
Also the holepattern for rear side trim look like very pre-52...?
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

You're correct. I'm thinking this car was either re-bodied or just put
Together with parts on hand. Both quarter panels are like that. I found out about this car on my birthday this year and bought it on the same day. I'm wanting to get the birth certificate To see more of the story.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Planning on drilling out the several hundred spot welds tomorrow that holding the original floor pans in.
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Hi. Can see some work is ahead of you Smile The edge of the floor plates looks pretty ok. Would it be an option just to replace the inside plates - think Mika makes them - just to keep as much of the original as possible?

/René
1956 Unimog 411
30 old farm tractors and stationary engines
1999 Golf - daily driver
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

maskinmester wrote:
Hi. Can see some work is ahead of you Smile The edge of the floor plates looks pretty ok. Would it be an option just to replace the inside plates - think Mika makes them - just to keep as much of the original as possible?

/René

Haha! That's funny you say that because a good friend of mine who lives in
Hong Kong said "Matt, you're sure taking the scenic route on this one!"
Basically saying there is a lot of work. I have already bought the full pan halves and heater channels from Klassic Fab to make things quicker. You cannot see in this picture very well, but there is some rust where the pan meets the tunnel. Sadly, this pan was probably in great condition when the previous owner bought the car in the 1980s. The choice was made to upgrade to a 1966 Chassis and roll this chassis outside. I am going to save as much of the pans as I can for future restorations
T2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Glad you are posting again. Keep up the progress. It is inspiring.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Great start car you have... I can see the face of your friend in Hong Kong while saying that... I know him also as a good friend. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

We did a little work on the driver's side channel. We began by letting my number one little man lightly sand the primer to expose the spot welds on the bottom plate of the channel. The sandpaper dulls the top layer, but since the spot weld is lower than the surface, it is left as a darker area. Then, we marked the spot welds with a black marker. Drilled with a sharp stepped bit and drilled and drilled. It is necessary to open up this assembly to install a vertical stiffener inside to lessen body flex. After the stiffener is added, we can paint the inside for rust prevention and weld it back together. The convertible stiffenener rail under the heater channel is not enough by itself to prevent this body flex. There is also a wiring conduit that needs to be installed on the passenger side. Thanks to Peter Schepmuller for the advice and photos.

VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
Great start car you have... I can see the face of your friend in Hong Kong while saying that... I know him also as a good friend. Wink

Thanks for the help and photos. I have had many conversations with very friendly VW people worldwide.
WrennMetallWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Well planned... looking good. Very Happy

Purpose Over Pleasure 🕊

“Hard Werk ⚒ God First “

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PSeV52tZ4&si=wpcuRnQyvIFo2nCJ
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCorLXzC5w&si=cbzT8fjlzVlIWfSV
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoE5aYSutY&si=mkZKPxd_41QA1kfs
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzUyyVexAE&feature=share
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8yUrIWS7E&feature=share
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

TheResurrectionProject wrote:
Well planned... looking good. Very Happy
it has been over 20 years of investigating and researching. Parts collecting,etc I am very thankful to the VW community for being so helpful.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Yet another discovery for the tribute car. These quarter panels were used on early cars and were shorter in the beam area.

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Keep on that Heb man, And Keep the pic's coming. I suspect this will be a very special build.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
Keep on that Heb man, And Keep the pic's coming. I suspect this will be a very special build.

It's been a while since my last post. I keep looking at the car for inspiration. Trying to connect somehow with it's history or past owners. I've been cleaning out a spot in my garage so the transformation can begin.
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:
Yet another discovery for the tribute car. These quarter panels were used on early cars and were shorter in the beam area.

The beam is the same lenght on later too just that on these early bodies they had more clearance to the quarterpanels.

Your quarterpanels also indicate that the body is a pre-52 body. Wink
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Here you see the 3D rendering from Wolfparts new product upcoming. This is 52-60. Basically the same as pre-52 but with lifter rear corner to give more clearance to the steeringrods as they needed more clearance when the front was slightly lowered and got softer frontsprings from -52 on.

http://wolfparts.com/?product=front-quarter-panel-beetle-52-60-right

The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:

That detail never changed. It continued all the way up until the end of standard beetle production. At least into the late 60's.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: