Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broke down in Grand Junction...Update
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it back to Durango. Man that uhaul is a gas hog. The passes were knarly! Snow the whole time, I am glad I made it. Didn't lose traction one time.
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
aryue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipes! Summer is over.

richparker wrote:
I made it back to Durango. Man that uhaul is a gas hog. The passes were knarly! Snow the whole time, I am glad I made it. Didn't lose traction one time.

[/img]

- Andrew in Austin, TX -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister and brother-in-law live in Ouray. I need to call then and ask about the "beautiful fall weather" they have been having.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aryue wrote:
Yipes! Summer is over.

No kidding. Today was our big transition to below 100. Hardly used the cooler. We might be back up into the tripple digets in a week or so and then finally done with it for the year by mid oct.

My bus and I sure wouldn't want to be on that road Rolling Eyes
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to have a real respect for the Rocky Mountains and High Elevation! It always snows on the passes there if there is any weather system at all! At least this time of year it does. Probably be a foot on the ground by morning! Glad your safe. Yeah those U H trucks get about 9 MPG on diesel! Make the 20 MPG or so we get in the VW Bus's look pretty good.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had rain here in Sacramento and snow in the Sierra's yesterday. Headed east now. You'll see more in a day or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the vdub gods were keeping me from driving on those snowy passes in my bus.
I realize that I probably could have pulled the brakes apart in the parking lot I was in and attempted to fix the problem, I did have all the tools and plenty of brake fluid. My thoughs when it happened were, it's 12 noon on a Sunday, my wife wanted me home ASAP to help with our 3 month old son, it was drizzling and about to dump out. Also have to work at 9 am tomorrow.
If I tried to fix it, weather or not I was able to, how much time was I gonna lose and would it brake again. I figured towing it home was the best, easiest, safest and fastest option to get home ASAP. I know that it make the brake job $400 more but at least I'm home and so is my bus.
I did replace both rear cylinders like 2 or so years ago. I did use the cheaper ones tho and it just bit me in the a$$. So new German cylinders it is. This also gives me the chance to readjust the rear torsion. I made it to stiff when I did it last time, I need to rotate the inner splines 1 spline clockwise. Since its one a few more bolts once I have the brakes apart, why not.
This is the second time I'm buying parts twice because I bought the wrong ones the first time. Last time was tires and I should have listened to the tire sticky. I'm only buying the correct parts from now on. No need to skimp to try to save some money. I could have almost replaced the whole brake system for $400. Thanks for helping and posting your thoughts.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally they don't blow out like that unless the brakes are too loose and the drum too big. The pistons are pushing the brakes out. As the shoes wear the bottom of the brakes need to be adjusted farther apart so the cylinders don't do as much work. If they travel too far they can suddenly leak. Generally on a bus I adjust the brakes at the same time I do an oil change and valve job. They are not self-adjusting like modern cars.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
normally they don't blow out like that unless the brakes are too loose and the drum too big. The pistons are pushing the brakes out. As the shoes wear the bottom of the brakes need to be adjusted farther apart so the cylinders don't do as much work. If they travel too far they can suddenly leak. Generally on a bus I adjust the brakes at the same time I do an oil change and valve job. They are not self-adjusting like modern cars.

The brakes were a little looser then they were from the last time I adjusted them. Which was about 2500 miles ago. I have not heard of adjusting them every oil change. I will do that from now on, thanks for the tip. I'm betting it didn't break and the piston just came out. Weather or not it happened because they were loose or because they were cheap cylinders I do not know and probably will never know.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Weather or not it happened because they were loose or because they were cheap cylinders I do not know and probably will never know.

Exclamation Take the drum off and look. Did the pistons pop out due to too much travel? Or did the cheap seals blow by? Or did the cylinder crack? Or did the fluid line connector fail? You really need to see what's goin on in there so you can take corrective action.

What about a re-enactment? If nothing is obviously wrong at first glance, have your wife/friend, etc. pump on the brakes with the drum off and see what exactly is happening. I would think this would be a great time to learn what went wrong so you can avoid a repeat.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:
have your wife/friend, etc. pump on the brakes with the drum off and see what exactly is happening. I would think this would be a great time to learn...............

Have someone video it from a few feet back and wearing goggles. Without the drum restraining the shoe travel naturally the pistons will blow out.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:
have your wife/friend, etc. pump on the brakes with the drum off and see what exactly is happening. I would think this would be a great time to learn...............

Have someone video it from a few feet back and wearing goggles. Without the drum restraining the shoe travel naturally the pistons will blow out.

Heh...yeah. Forgot about that part Exclamation ... Embarassed

So, wrap a a few turns of wire, nylon strap or rope around the shoes, or jam them into the inside rim of the dust shield, then do it. Whatever you decide to do, you probably won't learn how to prevent this from happening again unless you find the nature of the failure.
aryue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While your are doing the rear suspension - pop on over to a local brake shop and have the inner diameter of the rear drums measured to see if they over-sized.

Someone else has posted in another thread that the Varga brake cylinders need to be disassembled and clean out really well.

- Andrew in Austin, TX -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally got the time to fix the Bone Bus. The driver side brake cylinder did blow out, the piston extended to far and the seal blew out. It blew out because the pads were not adjusted correctly. Also installed new pads.
While I had the brakes apart I took the time to adjust the rear torsion bars again. First time I adjusted them I only adjusted the swing plate one tooth. This changed the the angle from 21* to 28.5*. This was way to stiff and it was toping out on the stop plate all the time. So I got a angle finder and readjusted the bars. I ended up rotating the the inner 4 teeth and the outer 5 teeth. This gave me a an angle of 25.5*. I'm happy with the final result. It sits real nice now.
I also installed new KYB shocks on the front.
After I was done we went on a 75 mile round trip drive to a friends house for a BBQ. Bus drove great, tracked great and it didn't top out on the stops once.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke cylinder

Reason the cylinder broke, misadjusted pads.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New KYBs

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, those little springs in your picture, the two angled ones on the bottom, shouldn't be there. Also the bottom spring that does go across, needs to be flipped to the back side.

Green Bentley>Brakes and Wheels>pg. 23
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are missing the little spring clip that is supposed to keep the adjuster from turning on its own. Add a wheel seal that looks like it is weeping enough to keep the adjuster lubricated and you end up with a really loose shoe.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Bentley it states that there should be 2 return springs on 68-70. Would those be the angled springs I have in there? Or do those go on the rear of a type 1 or type 3 rear. Photo in the Bentley is from a 71 or later.
I also don't see where in the Bentley where is talks about, or shows a pic of a retaning clip to stop the adjusters from moving. Rear wheel bearings are new FAG inner and outer. They are not leaking. The pic I took was before I took the brake apart. That is brake fluid that is everywhere.
I do understand that I have extra springs in there. I'm thinking they can stay there until I have to take it apart again. The pedal is tight and the brakes seem to be working great.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Looks like you are missing the little spring clip that is supposed to keep the adjuster from turning on its own. Add a wheel seal that looks like it is weeping enough to keep the adjuster lubricated and you end up with a really loose shoe.

Please check what Widlthings suggested. At the bottom of this photo is the adjuster. On the bottom of it there is a square protrusion. If you look, inside a slot in that protrusion there is a piece of spring steel. That piece of spring steel should extend to where it grabs each adjuster and holds it in place. The part that grabs the adjuster sometimes gets broken, then there is nothing to keep the adjusters from turning themselves. Hence your brakes could have been perfectly adjusted and without that spring steel lock that one side turned itself back in. Check to make sure that tang of spring steel extends to lock each adjuster wheel. Glance at this thread as it shows the part being referred to http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544656&start=0

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: