Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1957 VW with 13,000 Miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful car, you are very lucky and I think the car is also lucky to have fallen into the hands of someone who appreciates its originality!

I can't believe the mileage.. that's amazing!
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canni wrote:
What a beautiful car, you are very lucky and I think the car is also lucky to have fallen into the hands of someone who appreciates its originality!

I can't believe the mileage.. that's amazing!

Hi Canni,

Thanks for the nice comments! Yes, I am something of a fanatic about maintaining the "from the factory" originality of this car. Next spring, I'll be replacing the now 35 year old (and dry-rotted on the inside, no doubt) Continental bias-ply tires with the correct style Firestone "pie-crust" sidewall bias-ply tires. They will not be whitewalls, as the car was shipped from the factory with blackwall tires.

As you can imagine, it takes a fair amount of dedication and effort to preserve the paint, chrome, rubber components, and the interior from the ravages of time. I thank goodness the original owner always kept her garaged and treated her with real pride of ownership before I acquired the car in 1978.

The original owner was a man born in Germany who was 70 years old (!!!) when he purchased this VW in July of 1957.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Several fellow enthusiasts have requested that I post a photo of the outer rim color of the road wheels on my car, to assist in correctly duplicating the color for their restoration.

This is the original paint on these rims from May of 1957. You can clearly see that the color is not Polar Silver, but rather an almost light slate non-metallic gray color. Polar Silver is of course a metallic finish. The two colors are completely different.

Wolfsburg West has a color chart for the 1956-1957 L324 Polar Silver finish cars that states that the color and related VW color code for the outer wheel rim is Steel Gray, L328. I do not believe that this aspect of the color chart is correct. If I am not mistaken, VW may have also used the color name and paint code "steel gray, L328" for another color they used on the 1950s Karmann Ghia cars, as well as other trim parts, such as the door handles for the type 111 Standard model, etc., and that color is completely different from the color of the outer wheel rim on my car. As such, I believe that L328 is not the correct color for the outer wheel rim, and my guess is that perhaps the correct paint color code is lost to antiquity at this point.

My feeling is that if you have a 1956-1957 Polar Silver vehicle, and desire to paint the outer wheel rim in the correct color, I think you will have to match the outer rim paint by taking either an actual sample of it (from a 1956-1957 wheel rim from a Polar Silver color car, probably easier said than done) to an automotive paint supplier, or provide them with a high quality photo of the outer wheel rim color. They can then custom mix the color for you. And honestly, even the gray color depicted in the photo I have posted here does not look 100% quite right from an exact color/shade standpoint, when compared to actually looking at the outer rim color in person. It could be my camera, my monitor, the lighting when I took the photo...........

I hope that this helps!

Bruce
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.

Last edited by Bruce Berman on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:43 pm; edited 10 times in total
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several folks have requested that I post a photo of the original rubber cover mat for the running boards, as used on the earlier VW cars. You will notice that the end of the cover has a section where the ribbing is not present. On later running boards, the ribbing extends to the end of the rubber cover.

This is the original rubber running board cover on my car, from May of 1957.

I hope that this helps. Perhaps someone will make a correct reproduction of this item for use on the earlier VW sedans.

Best Regards,

Bruce
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are decent looking reproduction running board mats , but they are a real pain in the ass to put on because the slot that wrap around the back side is not deep enough.

And yes, beautiful car.
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous! Cool
Nirvana09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Berman wrote:

Several fellow enthusiasts have requested that I post a photo of the outer rim color of the road wheels on my car, to assist in correctly duplicating the color for their restoration.

This is the original paint on these rims from May of 1957. You can clearly see that the color is not Polar Silver, but rather an almost light slate non-metallic gray color. Polar Silver is of course a metallic finish. The two colors are completely different.

Wolfsburg West has a color chart for the 1956-1957 L324 Polar Silver finish cars that states that the color and related VW color code for the outer wheel rim is Steel Gray, L328. I do not believe that this aspect of the color chart is correct. If I am not mistaken, VW may have also used the color name and paint code "steel gray, L328" for another color they used on the 1950s Karmann Ghia cars, as well as other trim parts, such as the door handles for the type 111 Standard model, etc., and that color is completely different from the color of the outer wheel rim on my car. As such, I believe that L328 is not the correct color for the outer wheel rim, and my guess is that perhaps the correct paint color code is lost to antiquity at this point.

My feeling is that if you have a 1956-1957 Polar Silver vehicle, and desire to paint the outer wheel rim in the correct color, I think you will have to match the outer rim paint by taking either an actual sample of it (from a 1956-1957 wheel rim from a Polar Silver color car, probably easier said than done) to an automotive paint supplier, or provide them with a high quality photo of the outer wheel rim color. They can then custom mix the color for you. And honestly, even the photo I have posted here does not look 100% quite right from an exact color/shade standpoint. It could be my camera, my monitor, the lighting when I took the photo...........

I hope that this helps!

Bruce

Bruce thank you so much! It's information like this that will make the restorations of the future that much more correct. Keep up the good work!
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nirvana09 wrote:
Bruce Berman wrote:

My feeling is that if you have a 1956-1957 Polar Silver vehicle, and desire to paint the outer wheel rim in the correct color, I think you will have to match the outer rim paint by taking either an actual sample of it (from a 1956-1957 wheel rim from a Polar Silver color car, probably easier said than done) to an automotive paint supplier, or provide them with a high quality photo of the outer wheel rim color. They can then custom mix the color for you. And honestly, even the photo I have posted here does not look 100% quite right from an exact color/shade standpoint. It could be my camera, my monitor, the lighting when I took the photo...........

I hope that this helps!

Bruce

Bruce thank you so much! It's information like this that will make the restorations of the future that much more correct. Keep up the good work!

You are very welcome!

If anyone needs any reference photos of my car for their restoration, please let me know, and I'll try to help out.

Bruce
GhiaBug In Chicago
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting from the book "The Car of the Century - Volume One 1930-1960", the color for the wheel outer rims is stated as "L329 Shetln Gray M". I have quoted from this book in previous threads and have twice received a comment from the same Samba member advising that he/she felt that there may be inaccuracies in the book. Corrections and sources were not provided by the member.
Nirvana09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhiaBug In Chicago wrote:
Quoting from the book "The Car of the Century - Volume One 1930-1960", the color for the wheel outer rims is stated as "L329 Shetln Gray M". I have quoted from this book in previous threads and have twice received a comment from the same Samba member advising that he/she felt that there may be inaccuracies in the book. Corrections and sources were not provided by the member.

Shetland grey very well could have been the first color used from the earliest '56 models. We aren't really sure what was used on pre-april cars. From April '56 on, Wolfsburg's charts show Steel grey which very well could on Bruce's car here. Although this is from another thread.

IN2VWS wrote:
Also, I am not 100% certain on the earlier Polar Silver, but from April 1956 your wheels should be L87 Pearl White and L328 Steel Grey.
L328 Steel Grey is very similar to Polar Silver, but not exactly the same, as can be seen in this pic. On the left is Polar Silver and on the right is Steel Grey.

I do not know where this member got those paint chip books. They do look official. Does that mean that Polar silver cars may have come with multiple different colored rims i.e. metallic and non-metallic? Are there any examples of cars painted other colors with multiple different rims?

Is the grey color on Bruce's outer rim even considered Steel Grey? We do know that due to the incredible originality of his car they are probably what the car left with the factory with. Lets just assume for a second that IN2VWS information is correct, and Bruce's rims couldn't be Steel grey. What color are they in that case?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBT in Belgium has been reproducing those "correct" running board runner replacements for a few years now. My June '55 completely unrestored Deluxe Sunroof Beetle (we drive ours, "Martha", it currently has almost 70K miles) still has it's slightly weathered original running board mats, but I bought a set of the new repro mats to use on my '57 Deluxe Beetle Kabriolett someday.

Beautiful Oval! You need to drive it more, otherwise it's just a garage sculpture. Enjoy the ride!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's finally back on the road again, with brand-new, period-correct, pie-crust style sidewall Firestone bias-ply tires.

Sorry for the terrible image quality; I shot it right into the sun. I'll post some better images of the car in a few days.

Next week she goes in for the annual New York State safety inspection.

The previous set of tires on the car were Continental bias ply, and I installed them in 1979 to replace the original Engleberts as installed by the factory in 1957. After 36 years, I deemed the Continentals to be completely unsafe to drive on, due to potential dry rot issues.

The guy who installed the new Firestone tires did a really fine job; he took great care so as to not scratch the painted rims at all, and he put the wheel balance weights only on the inner aspect of each wheel. Thanks, Carlos!

Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! Thank you for the picture. Over the past winter I picked up a 57 that was according to the birth certificate was "polar." Being new to classic bugs, and the fact the car is red with white (polar) fenders I figured it was supposed to be all white. Imagine my surprise when I found out the "polar" was SILVER!! Thank you for posting your very nice pictures. I do love my "new" old beetle!!
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing car!

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how I would love to own skmetng like this. Very nice.
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some much better images of the car that I took earlier today. She just came back from her annual New York State safety inspection this morning, and passed with flying colors.

You can see the new Firestone period-correct pie-crust style bias-ply tires I had installed about 2 weeks ago.

Bruce

Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: My 1957 VW with 13,000 Miles Reply with quote

I know that I promised these a long time ago, but here are some additional photos I shot of my car in early August.

Hopefully these photos can of be of some value to you for use in your restoration project.

And yes, I know that the ignition coil is incorrect for this car. A number of years ago, the original coil was becoming weak and she was getting difficult to start, so I replaced the coil with this later style "short" coil, as it has the correct screw-type terminals. If anyone has a NOS correct TE6B3 ignition coil (I think that is the right Bosch part number) for my car, I would like to buy it!

I'll be taking some photos of the front and trunk area of her shortly, and get them up here as well.

Last edited by Bruce Berman on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures! Thank you for being such a good steward of this car; it's a valuable resource and we all benefit from your care and attention. More pics please!

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
Beautiful pictures! Thank you for being such a good steward of this car; it's a valuable resource and we all benefit from your care and attention. More pics please!

byron

Dito!!! text book stuff, this car should be a Sticky, surely? Thanks again for posting the great photos, and hosting them on the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Gwdghiaguy wrote:

byron

Dito!!! text book stuff, this car should be a Sticky, surely? Thanks again for posting the great photos, and hosting them on the Samba.

Yes, thanks for posting more pics, this car is incredible.

This thread is linked from the Oval Window FAQ
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: