Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

US / EURO Wiring: Any simple aproach for both worlds?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: US / EURO Wiring: Any simple aproach for both worlds? Reply with quote

Well if the answer is here I can't find it anywhere searching to the point I now have a headache....

So I have a euro spec car, but I wanted US spec blinkers on the corners... Needed to replace the harness anyway so bought a new 56/57 harness from WW. Got a good 6 wire switch a pair of good SWF flashers off a donor car and I thought this was going to be an easy task until I started reading & after searching quite extensively in every corner here... And yeah I get the physics of the problem, but... All I want to do is run blinkers at the corners and have the semaphores go up and down as they should... I don't need to make the semaphores blink, unless it is just simple byproduct of the predicament, it is not a requirement.

No one on the planet seems to have a work-around for something that seems so damn simple. All I can seem to conclude is I have one of two options...

Buying someones $200.00 accessory...
...Or...
Buying a used $100.00 3-post ACC or barndoor switch to run them...

And the second option doesn't really bother me as I do have an empty choke hole to fill anyway but it still got me wondering, why is this not so simple..? There's has be a better solution... Or I'm just looking in the wrong places here..?
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the first option by using this:

http://www.vwjim.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1205060-Semaphore-Control-Box-Kit.html

Really easy to install. Brake light now flash on the rear and installed running light bulb holders in my euro headlights with orange bulbs. (On my euro '58, not an oval but should still work the same)
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this work? If not, Why?

Looking at the actual schematic all I see is the switch needs to be powered for the obvious reasons but why cant a pair of flasher, one for left and one for right run independently to allow the switch to be uninterrupted? or am I reading this wrong...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Foxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won't work for you.
When you apply the brakes it'll operate both flasher relays causing all sorts of problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's was the only snag I saw with the dual filament holder & bulb... Thought maybe it could be tricked somehow...

What if I were to use one of the improved 6v led setups that Chip B. just started making that now has three separate circuits..? One for running, one for directional, one for brake...

Would that allow it to work?
Foxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think they will help because you'll still need the rear lights to flash when the brakes are applied. Unless they are making them with integrated circuitry which makes allowances for this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well assuming he is targeting customers with this exact problem I would say yes?
Chip B. wrote:
*NEW FOR AUGUST 2013* I have added the option to add 18 more LEDs and an additional circuit to these lights. This will allow those of you that are converting 62 and later bugs to snowflake lights to keep your brake and turn signal circuits separate. NO MORE NEED FOR TRAILER LIGHT CONVERTERS! It also provides a turn circuit for those of you who are trying to come up with a clean method for adding turns to your semaphore equipped cars. LEDs available in RED or AMBER, both show their color through the red lens.

And if that is the case, then would it be safe to say that if you simply relocating the brake terminal off of the switch it's just a mater of adding an extra single terminal strip (or using a 3 space terminal strip, of which I have one) so that it just does not tie into the circuit at the T2 location and after omission from the switch just relocate it to #30 on the light switch?

And just another hunch here... if this does allow it too run isolated you now have the extra set of gray indicator return wires for the dash indicator lamp (as you would be using the gray one from the flashers to the indicator dash light) and with the extra unused return wires off the semaphores now you could simply isolate them as well and mod their light connection to them and wire direct to the semaphores light and run it back to the "S" positions on the flashers and wind up with the freebie and also make the bulb flash completely independently of the semaphores standard operation... (just rambling thinking there)
Donovan D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
Well assuming he is targeting customers with this exact problem I would say yes?
Chip B. wrote:
*NEW FOR AUGUST 2013* I have added the option to add 18 more LEDs and an additional circuit to these lights. This will allow those of you that are converting 62 and later bugs to snowflake lights to keep your brake and turn signal circuits separate. NO MORE NEED FOR TRAILER LIGHT CONVERTERS! It also provides a turn circuit for those of you who are trying to come up with a clean method for adding turns to your semaphore equipped cars. LEDs available in RED or AMBER, both show their color through the red lens.

And if that is the case, then would it be safe to say that if you simply relocating the brake terminal off of the switch it's just a mater of adding an extra single terminal strip (or using a 3 space terminal strip, of which I have one) so that it just does not tie into the circuit at the T2 location and after omission from the switch just relocate it to #30 on the light switch?

And just another hunch here... if this does allow it too run isolated you now have the extra set of gray indicator return wires for the dash indicator lamp (as you would be using the gray one from the flashers to the indicator dash light) and with the extra unused return wires off the semaphores now you could simply isolate them as well and mod their light connection to them and wire direct to the semaphores light and run it back to the "S" positions on the flashers and wind up with the freebie and also make the bulb flash completely independently of the semaphores standard operation... (just rambling thinking there)

Did you ever manage to get the semaphores working with your front and rear blinkers using the 6 wire switch ?
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: US / EURO Wiring: Any simple aproach for both worlds? Reply with quote

Yes... Installed a new US spec wiring harness to allow it to blink at all four corners with the 6 wire switch & for the semaphores we simply circumvented the blinker circuitry and just added a bus semaphore switch, put it in the choke hole which I wasn't using anyway & added a matching ivory knob to match the others and then threw in a set of the blinking led festoons... Both separate worlds work great...

To be honest, semaphores in traffic are a bit of a distraction for drivers around you as most people have no clue what they are. And after watching drivers around me trying to take pics of them when one was up while sitting at red lights, I just use the blinkers most of the time, way safer...
Donovan D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: US / EURO Wiring: Any simple aproach for both worlds? Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
Yes...

Thanks for the feedback, I think this might be the best option. Best of both worlds.
Donovan D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: US / EURO Wiring: Any simple aproach for both worlds? Reply with quote

Here is what I did, still testing.
Also used the choke hole and choke knob on a rotary switch.
Semaphores running through a 50watt 1 ohm resistor.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: