Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'46 Generator?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

I have this generator (left) with an "8B" stamped on it. In Bosch codes that would be August 1946. I never really believed that it could be that old. Tonight I compared it to a "10F" (Oct 1950). The housing is identical. But the 8B one is 2600A15, and the later one 2600AL15. Also note the differences in logos and the "Germany" lettering.

Can anyone confirm that the early gens have this lettering/numbers? I suppose it could be for another car, but the bores and openings in it are exactly like the other one, and even if, it is still date coded 8B.

Any thoughts??

Click on the pic, it is big...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type is left one?Looks like ND 180/6 if i can see it right,then it is not Volkswagen generator.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is a "RED 130/6" just like the right. Click on the pic to see it full size, you can read it better. ANYONE have an old gen or even pics of one from the 40s??

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wartime beetle, schwimmers and kubels have the RedK 130/6 2600AL15 in the parts list, it would perhaps be strange if 1946 was different without a good reason? I have heard (never looked inside) that there was some winding difference wartime to save copper but I doubt there was much difference in its availability in the immediate post war period either?

Cheers
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
ANYONE have an old gen or even pics of one from the 40s??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

John, I don't know if this will help you it may add more questions....
Here is my November 47' Generator. It is marked "REDK 90/6 2200 AL15"
it is same as your supposed 46' unit by not having the script underneath the Bosch word, but thats where similarites end. Mine is also dated below the arrow like later units, not like yours or the 42' unit posted. Not sure why kine is 90/6 and 2200 compared to 1xx/6 and 2600. Note: My unit also has its original voltage regulator which is also dated 47.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Do you know what the 90/6/2200 on your generator means? It stands for an output of 90 Watts/at 6 Volts/at 2200 RPM (Revs per minute). I believe this is spec is for 1947 only. Would I put it on my 47? No, not if I was going to actually use the car! Why on earth they were produced them like that I couldn't begin to imagine. You'll need to make sure that the D shaped regulator is matched to the generator output. I've been offered these previously, and maybe you bought yours from the same source.

If you think about it, if you have your headlights on alone, and had the measly 45 Watt bulbs usually fitted in those days, that alone would take up the whole output from the generator, never mind all of the other electrical items on the vehicle requiring power, and the need to have some power to put into the battery, if you didn't always want to be hand cranking the engine to start it.

I would investigate the possibility of changing the internals, so as to have a higher power output. Failing that, use bicycle dynamos on each of the 4 wheels to aid output!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Do you know what the 90/6/2200 on your generator means? It stands for an output of 90 Watts/at 6 Volts/at 2200 RPM (Revs per minute). I believe this is spec is for 1947 only. Would I put it on my 47? No, not if I was going to actually use the car! Why on earth they were produced them like that I couldn't begin to imagine. You'll need to make sure that the D shaped regulator is matched to the generator output. I've been offered these previously, and maybe you bought yours from the same source.

If you think about it, if you have your headlights on alone, and had the measly 45 Watt bulbs usually fitted in those days, that alone would take up the whole output from the generator, never mind all of the other electrical items on the vehicle requiring power, and the need to have some power to put into the battery, if you didn't always want to be hand cranking the engine to start it.

I would investigate the possibility of changing the internals, so as to have a higher power output. Failing that, use bicycle dynamos on each of the 4 wheels to aid output!

very good point you make Martin. This unit and its VR were tested but I dont have the results (output) in front of me at the moment. Im wanting to go check the markings on the regulator now to see what they say...
Any idea of why they would use a unit with such specifications in light of all of what you just said????
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Here is the markings on the one side of the V Reg. Im assuming the 90 means 90 watts then?
Maybe they didnt expect them to drive these cars around in the dark... 😂

Btw, sorry to sort of highjack yoir thread John...

56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I also took some pictures comparing my 1946(?) generator with a 1950 generator.

There are some differences to note when you compare mine with the other generators in this topic:
- location of the date stamping: I have another 1946 generator that came with my incomplete 46 engine (if anybody has parts for me? Very Happy Very Happy )
I thought its Jan. 44 but then I noticed the "B" stamping. What does the 1Z stands for?
- Can't read the the original code that was stamped in, because it was removed. If you look closely, a "RED" sign can be read. The code ends with "46", could this be a reference for the year?
- There is only a Bosch logo, no Bosch script as on the other generators here
- There is a rabbet that goes across the generator body

Just some input...
I love to see all the invisible and unimportant changings that were done in the 40's

Cheers,
Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Forgot the pics Laughing
There you go!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

From this thread
Bosch Hella SWF SHO Blaupunkt date codes

1Z is January, 1944 but a B code is 1946

I'm not sure why your generator is stamped twice or which date code is correct.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Yes Everett, you're right!
That's a neat thing with the Bosch date coding!!!

On my other 46 generator, there are also two stampings.

My guess is that 1Z doesn't stand for the date code, but I don't know any other use of this code.
Or it was made in 44 and was rebuilt in 46? That could explain why they changed the stamping
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
Or it was made in 44 and was rebuilt in 46? That could explain why they changed the stamping

I was wondering that too since it has an "X" on it but I don't know and was hoping someone with more super early experience could answer it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

I have a 90 watt regulator. Marked 1Y wich is 1943?!
That would fit an 90 watt generator. Must have been enough power back then?

56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:

Yes appears to be correct for kdf vehicles, although these regulators were used on almost every German car during this period
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:

Usaierman,

Is the generator itself on your car a 90 watt? Anyone else reading this have a 46 or 47 and have a 90W gen on their car? and if so, does it seem to power the car sufficiently? Very curious on this....
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

No, I just have found this regulator two years ago.
My cars are not older than 1949.

But when there are 90w regs and gens from a certain time period, it looks like it worked. They drove those cars didnīt they?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Yes, and headlight bulbs were 35 watt, not 45 as someone above posted. Wasn't a whole lot of margin, but with a good battery it would be just fine.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab

Last edited by johnshenry on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Good info John!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: