Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boonie Bug
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HudsonN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Boonie Bug Reply with quote

First post.

After doing hours and hours of research I have figured out this doohickey is called a "boonie bug". The only information I can find on it is that it's on a shortened bus frame.

Don't know about the engine, trans, rarity, etc.

How much should I pay for this thing? What's it worth fixed up? Any other information?

Sorry for the straightforwardness. At work and trying to get this posted ASAP. Will edit it when I get home.

Picture related.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots has been written since that things inception. Supposedly, that was the future. I think Popular Mechanics did a spread on it. I'd think it has some value as a period piece but going crazy on price, to me, would be dumb. It fits right in there with the Pacer or Gremlin.
HudsonN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Lots has been written since that things inception. Supposedly, that was the future. I think Popular Mechanics did a spread on it. I'd think it has some value as a period piece but going crazy on price, to me, would be dumb. It fits right in there with the Pacer or Gremlin.

I did see the popular mechanics spread on it, but it doesn't really help me.

I just think it would be awesome to fix it up and drive it around town. I think the looks i would get would be priceless considering it took me days to figure out what the thing was.

How much would you pay for that car as it sits? I didn't get a chance to look at the frame to see if it was rusty or anything like that, but assuming it's in good condition what do you think a fair value is?

Does the rarity of these make it expensive?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They way it looks and the fact that you are in CT (rust) - I would pay about $100 for it. Or whatever value you can see in the Bus parts that are there. I see a set of Bus headlights that look decent.

It will be worth less than whatever money you put into it so you should only buy it if you want something fun to mess around with.
If you think you are going to make any money fixing it up you are dead wrong.

I also found these threads by searching
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152642
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546889
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HudsonN wrote:
BarryL wrote:

I did see the popular mechanics spread on it, but it doesn't really help me.

I just think it would be awesome to fix it up and drive it around town. I think the looks i would get would be priceless considering it took me days to figure out what the thing was.

How much would you pay for that car as it sits? I didn't get a chance to look at the frame to see if it was rusty or anything like that, but assuming it's in good condition what do you think a fair value is?

Does the rarity of these make it expensive?

That looks in pretty rough condition with who-knows-how-many missing parts. Rarity does not make something expensive. Demand makes something expensive. Take a good look at it, in person. Look at it with the idea of getting it back on the road. Look at everything that is missing or needs replacing to get it on the road. Know you will need a complete brake go-through, engine, and possibly tranny. You are talking about a nice chunk of money and time to get this thing road worthy, let alone decent looking.

Now, once you have gotten a general idea of how much you'll need to spend, look at it again as it's value in parts only--parts that others might want, that is. What is there? A couple of VW head lights, mismatched rims of questionable value, some gauges maybe. What's it add up to?

Offer him what you think the value is in parts, less your cost to haul it away.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to say it: this is a pretty cool vehicle. It would be MUCH cooler if it was in better shape.

I can't imagine that it would make any sense to have somebody "fix" it for you. If you can fix it, and if you like it, i say: get for what was suggested above, next to nothing.

I bet a build thread on it would be popular

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal with "The Boonie Bug" as I recall it- and I was a child when I read the either Pop Sci Or Pop Mechanics article when it came out, whatever the periodical- was that it existed primarily as plans one could send away for, and I believe there were blueprints and so forth one could refer to in building the vehicle from scratch, from a Bus frame, as you know.

That being the case there is no real provenance in these vehicles apart from whatever information could be gleaned from the individual that built it, if it is possible to find that person.

Certainly you should look to find whether you can locate a copy of the original plans if you want to restore it. It was touted as something a guy could make in his own shop or garage or driveway. It's probably a lot of Plywood, yes? Imagine what a cool buggy you could make if you employed newer and sounder methods to reconstruct the thing.
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could get one for cheap I would throw a used engine in it and make it into a back woods/beach basher. Dont expect to make millions but you would get a lot of head turns and it would be awesome at shows.
HudsonN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let me put it this way;

I'm 17. Bored out of mind and enjoy tinkering with things. Have a Jeep and needless to say it's in the same category as the boonie bug would be in.

Yeah it's a $3,000 jeep, but guess what? I'm about $20,000 into it. I'd never sell the thing and i understand that the amount i put into it i will never EVER see again. It's just pure fun and i enjoy it. Keeps me on the straight and narrow. Rolling Eyes

I figure if i can get this Boonie bug i can take my time on restoring the thing. I figure it has a VW Bug engine in it along with the VW bug trans behind it. Shouldn't be too hard or expensive to find one of those engines that's already running to swap into the thing.

Hell maybe the one in it runs if i tune it up. I'd assume the thing has live axles front and rear (not sure if the thing is 4x4) but i figure worse case scenario i could swap some jeep axles (they're cheap) under the thing assuming the WMS is close. (Hell even a wider stance might not look bad! Ha)

I think the body is fiberglass, correct? I've never dealt with painting fiberglass but i assume that's not going to be fun. I don't want a professional paint job on the thing. I want it to have that rustic look to it without looking bad if that makes sense.

I read in one of those links the frame was made of box tube? I have a bunch of sticks of 2x4" and 2x6" 3/16" wall box tube laying around. Could easily model a new frame off of the old one and totally re-do the thing.

Thing would be a serious chick magnet. I think i might need a bed back there for ... err sleeping. Rolling Eyes
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on the right track, young fella.
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. I'm glad I didn't have $20k to throw away when I was 17. I would have made some really bad decisions!

I had to scrape together $300 from slingin' tacos to buy two bugs so I could make one good one for my first car.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it!

That thing would look hard as f clearcoated and slammed on some earlies!

Do it!
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That boonie bug looks a bit special to me. Anyone notice one big difference between this boonie bugs and the others posted in the other forums????
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Dang. I'm glad I didn't have $20k to throw away when I was 17. I would have made some really bad decisions!

I had to scrape together $300 from slingin' tacos to buy two bugs so I could make one good one for my first car.

Yeah, My first car, a '55 Chevy, cost me 175 hard-won dollars. That was a ton of dough for a 15-year-old in 1976.
HudsonN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dan. Hahahaha Thank you. I don't even want to know how many lawns i've mowed or the amount of blades i've sharpened.

Was kind of feeling an older muscle car build or something along those lines, but after seeing this thing my mind was quickly changed. I remember the last time i saw an older mustang or camaro on the road. The same can't be said for a boonie bug.

If i buy this thing there will be a build thread. My jeep build thread is approaching 30 pages. Rolling Eyes

Two bugs!? That's it? Razz I'm sure my dad loves me. I've had 5 jeeps so far. Every time i buy another one he scratches his head in confusion as to why i'd want another one. He was really confused when i explained to him that i bought an entire jeep just because the axles under the thing were worth more than the guy was asking for the entire jeep. I considered it a steal he considered he considered me loony. Laughing

I don't think i want to just clearcoat it. I want to paint the thing without going professional on it. Just buy a decent paint gun that hooks up to an air compressor, prep the thing correctly, shoot some base on it, and then shoot the base coat followed up by some more coats if needed. Just not sure what color i'd go with. Opinions? I think it'll stick out regardless.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do it. You'll pull mad trim with that little beast.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one looks to be made from folded steel. It probably sounds like the War Wagon inside. Maybe put a turret on top?
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DudeI If you're going to paint it, you need a mural! Look at those big flat sides, ripe for fantasy art!

Behold!

Find a buddy with an airbrush and get epic!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HudsonN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dan. Hahaha. I like your style. Very Happy

@Barry. That's why i was wondering why everyone said they were fiberglass. Now that you mention it i should of instantly noticed that the body was rusting. Fiberglass doesn't rust. Laughing That's kind of good for me then. I'll just have to unleash the welder, bondo, and sheet metal.

I know i know i know. I just don't want some cliche quote on the side or something that just looks dumb. I want it either one color or something that just screams badass.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely do a search on the Boonie Bug in the Kit car forums. I've got the whole schmear on that kit- the original PM mag, cover letter from the manufacturer, needed materials and tools- and of course complete plans. All a gift from a retired friend who wanted to build one- got the jones for it back in the day- and never moved forward.

That said, I would buy that thing in a second- based on uniqueness alone. Few kit cars ever make it to completion vs. the number of PM plans ordered and mailed out (that would be an interesting statistic IMO)- and they were time-consuming to build. By contrast, glass dune buggies are a piece of cake to build- and do not involve much fabrication. I think the Brubaker Box is by far a better use of energy- but the Boonie Bug is rare.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: