Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooling an air cooled with Water
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
A properly tuned and maintained bus will LONG outlast the driver in intense heat. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dude, I loved you in MIB3!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:
Did you see the thread by Colin about driving his early baywindow bus through Death Valley in the peak of summer? I'm satisifed that a properly maintained, stock engine will do just fine even in the hottest of climates.

Do you figure that rapid cooling of your engine by means of water on a hot day may cause thermal cracking? Sure a rainstorm gets things wet, but isn't the weather (and so the intake air) already cool? I would be very concerned about rapid, moist cooling on a hot air cooled engine.

This. There is a little thing called thermal shock that is quite prevalent on cast iron. Ever run cold water on a hot cast iron pan? It will crack right in half. Iron does not have the carbon bonds that makes steel flexible. If you squirt cold water on hot cast iron cylinders, be ready for thermal shock to take place and your cylinders to crack in half. If you really want to make the difference with temps, make sure the engine compartment is completely sealed and the cylinders and oil cooler have nothing blocking them.

I don't know about the thermal shock issue. I have had my hot aircooled engine in my buggy submerged up to the carb almost and never saw any issues with it. It's also run through good sized puddles of cold water while at operating temp with no issues. So I am not thinking a shot of water would hurt the engine in that way.
orbus777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run a mist into the fan intake on a type 1. It worked good.100 plus air ambient brought oil temps down from 220 to 210 . Hooked it to a sump pump via a switch.Still running same engine 3 years later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: