Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intermittent Starting Issue
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheEv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Intermittent Starting Issue Reply with quote

About 80% of the time, my bus starts fine. The other 20%, when I turn the key over to start it, there is nothing. Doesn't even attempt to crank over as if no power is getting to the starter at all.

I've had several instances where my bus didn't start in the morning before work, or when leaving work for the day. I'll come back to get the bus later and it will start with no hesitation and runs strong.

Any help would be appreciated!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to enlighten us as to your level of knowledge in this area, have you followed any of the other 9,432 posts on this same problem?

Is it manual or automatic?
TheEv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't read all 9,432 posts, but I did read many. The beauty and fault of forums that have been around this long - there is so much knowledge and threads, but it can get increasingly complex to wade through - especially someone like me who is not mechanically minded and is unclear the the correct terms to search for.

It's a manual.

The unique part about my problem is that it either starts up quickly and normally or it seems like no power is getting to the starter at all. No sounds, no clicks - just the dash lights coming on.

The battery is fairly new and seems fine. Perhaps a grounding problem that is only effected at certain times for some reason?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't think your key switch isn't working all the time? One way to check that is to see if your inside light dims when you try to crank? If not, then either the ignitions switch is bad or its a relay between there and the starter solenoid or it could be a intermittent wire connection somehere. If it dims then it's bad battery cables or transaxle grounds or something or it could be a bad starter or it could just be the solenoid that is if it dims!
kevin11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be dirt in the ign. switch connections . I get the same thing but just do the old screwdriver on the solenoid connections and go about my business. I need to clean my switch and see if that helps!! all connections are good at starter. sometimes the ign. wire at the starter seems a tad loose... I replaced the connector before. Might just do that again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter going bad? Next time it won't start, get under and hit the started with a hammer or wrench(not too hard) a couple of times. Try to start it then. If it starts, replace the starter.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue with my starter last summer. I was able to solve the problem by pulling the starter and cleaning and lubing the solenoid so that it moved freely. I also checked all the connectors and wires to and from the starter with terminal cleaner and a bit of fine sandpaper.

It was really easy but you will need to remove the solenoid which also means removing the starter. I cleaned the solenoid with bit of carb cleaner and then lubed it with lithium spray grease and light coat of synthetic grease on the plunger and any other moving part.

Assemble and I also used a bit of dielectric grease on the starter connectors and hopefully that fixes your issue. I haven't had a problem since.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
TheEv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm sure I'll solve by problem by running through all of these. I'll try and report back on what I find.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheEv wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm sure I'll solve by problem by running through all of these. I'll try and report back on what I find.

Best way to go about it is turn your overhead light on. Even the solenoid will dim it a little. If the light dims at all the starter switch is good and the solenoid has gotten sticky. If the light doesn't dim at all, even a little, then the ignition switch is bad. If it really dims down a lot, you probably have a dirty battery connection.

Automatics also have a neutral switch that can go bad.
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked for me. intermittant problems started few weeks ago. just took out the crappy chinese aftermarket started and put a bosch in... no issues anymore. starts right up every time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: