Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Had some time for my '58 low light today
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

I have managed to get the window scrapers installed. I need to do the driver's side again as I am not really happy with the fit. But the passenger side went in much more cleanly. I installed the outer chrome strip as well. I think that it looks pretty good ... more small steps. It certainly is an odd system. I need to trim the rubber at the ends yet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave
1965 Sunroof Notch build thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5600139&highlight=#5600139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

It's really clunky and seems tenuous, I thought it would all fall apart the first time I rolled my windows up and down, but so far., so good.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

So, I re-did the driver's side window and it all fits and looks OK. And this came home today:

I need to install the tin and manifolds etc and then the builder will come back and start it and run it in. So far so good.

Dave
1965 Sunroof Notch build thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5600139&highlight=#5600139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Porschedave wrote:
So, I re-did the driver's side window and it all fits and looks OK. And this came home today:

I need to install the tin and manifolds etc and then the builder will come back and start it and run it in. So far so good.

Dave

Now that’s an engine refresh!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Was that block water blasted? It looks as clean as a whistle. Nice work!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Engine looks nice!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

I built a jig to hold my front beam in a workable position.

I've rebuilt the king pins and the front brake assembly and am now trying to sort out the steering parts. I guess at some point in the near future I'll place the shell back on the pan. By the way, do you use silicon on the rubber seal when you re-assemble the shell and the pan or is the rubber seal alone good enough seal?

Dave
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

I’ve always just used the rubber seal.
Maybe where there are gaps where the sections abut they used seam sealer or putty back in the day.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hi Braukuche

I have another question. I have completely assembled the front beam, and have realized there is a difference in the left-side tie rod.

The top is the original and the bottom the replacement from CIP. I'm not convinced that it will fit properly because one end needs to be re-oriented to match the orientation of the steering box. I see at Airhead they have an angled tie rod end so perhaps I need purchase that or maybe clean out and repack the original with new covers. Wha's your experience?

Dave
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

It depends on what front beam parts you have on your Ghia (over time the beam might have been replaced with a beetle beam or parts changed). Low light Ghias had specific front end parts on them that made them different from beetles. 56-57 Ghias had specific tie rods and sway bar, while the 58-59 Ghias had specific tie rods, sway bar and pitman arm. The tie rods (including the ball joints) are all straight. The beetle has a "bent" end on the short tie rod while the Ghia one is straight. The 58-59 Ghia pitman arm has a slight bend to it, while the beetle version is straight. Here are some images from low light parts books showing the specific parts:

56-57 Ghia:

58-59 Ghia:

Here is a beelte short tie rod on top and a low light Ghia tie rod on bottom:

The long tie rod is longer on a Ghia compared to the beetle counter part. The beetle tie rod is on top and the low light Ghia rod is on bottom:

Here you can see how much longer the Ghia tie rod is than the beetle one:

The 58-59 Ghia pitman arm looks like a beetle one from the top, but from the side you can see it has a bend in it:

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Embarassed

Your 58 Ghia is looking great!!!
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hi Loren

Thanks for those comments - you didn't hijack the thread. My Ghia was built at the end of '58 and I have no idea what was original and what not. I just went out to look at the postman arm and it has a curve as you suggested so I think that it is original. The front beam is not in the car so I do not know the orientation for the steering box so it is not clear to me that the straight short tie rod fits. I'll know better when I actually start putting the whole car together. Looking at my picture, are you thinking that the short tie rod was not a ghia part?

Dave
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

I think your original tie rod is for a beetle. The new one looks correct. You might look at the clamp on your steering box to make sure the box is oriented correctly. The clamp that holds the steering box has a notch on either side to align the box correctly for beetle or Ghia, depending on which way you flip it. There is a lug on the beam to match the notch up to. Some clamps are stamped with a 13 and a 14 to designate which notch to use.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hey Dave,
I’d listen to Loren on this. Mine is a 56 so it’s a different beast when it comes to the front end.
Dan

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hi Dan and Loren

When I bought the car I had thought that it was original albeit in lousy condition. The engine number matched what the factory installed and so on, However, the tranny was not the original - it's not a split case. And so maybe there were other changes made like with this tie rod. I'll have to look closely at things when I actually start to reassemble the car, like putting the shell on the pan etc.

Cheers

Dave
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Looking good.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Porschedave wrote:

Dave

Purdy
I was at Brothers Machine Shop the other day, some of the 36rs were mind blowing re what they were doing to make them scoot Cool
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hi Folks

In this time of crisis, I hope all of you are well no matter where you live. This covid-19 crisis is certainly having a big impact on the world. But not on my ghia. I have a couple of updates.

First, recall that I asked about those small tabs that hold the door rubber inlace. Mine were brass. We live in an old house and I found an old switch plate made from brass, and so sacrificed it for the new pieces.

And then there is the headliner. I've read as many headliner threads as I could but even so it was much more of a challenge than I expected. I bought a headliner from TMI and it seems to come with lots of extra material. It was a challenge to get rid of wrinkles and puckers, especially in the corners. I've worked on it for about 3 days and now feel that it's acceptable. Mind you, I'll have to look at it again tomorrow but here's a couple of pics:

Thanks to Kevin, the aussie trimmer for his helpful advice and his instructions that are in the headliner sticky.

Dave
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Coming together very nicely, Keep up the good work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hi Guys, especially you low light fellas

I think that I am OK with the headliner and am now looking at getting the window rubber and moldings in place. But I have some questions regarding these items and am hoping that you can help me ...

1. The 1958 ghia aluminum trim on the driver and passenger side seems to have been screwed and glued in. I see that in 1960 VW opted to use a rubber seal. Do you think it is OK to use that for mine? Here's a pic of mine, not glued in but no rubber and the second shows the trim with rubber. It seems to me that the rubber is a more elegant solution.

2. The quarter window rubber does not appear to cover the screws on the inside. Somehow I thought that they would be covered. Is this correct?

3. This is the window rubber for the front windows. Is it oriented such that the top side is the outside edge, the one that contacts the window?

4. The front edge of the quarter window has an aluminum piece on it. Is this simply glued in? One was missing on my car the the other side had no visible connection to the body. And there must be a piece of rubber where it connects to the door window I guess.

Thanks in advance everyone for your help.

Dave
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Like you said above, the aluminum trim had a tar like glue sealing it to the body. This black goo did tend to ooze out a little, not a bad thing if you had a black Ghia Very Happy You could use the rubber between the body and the aluminum trim as on 60 and later Ghias, but I wonder if it would effect the door glass adjustment??? Maybe it isn't thick enough to make a difference, I don't know, but something to think about.

Not the best shot, but here is a small shot of the quarter window seal on an original 59 Ghia:

It looks like the seal covers the screws and metal strip.

The chrome trim on the outside of the quarter window is held in place with small screws just like the trim on the top of the doors. Here is a video from Scott at KGPR showing how to install a low light quarter window:

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 32

Jump to: