Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Once warm splutters and won't rev.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notablecarrot3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Once warm splutters and won't rev. Reply with quote

Hi guys, firstly I'm starting to hate my beetle after 4 years of ownership, problem after problem after problem Crying or Very sad

Basically now my problem is that when I start it up it runs perfectly until the engine is warm after a few minutes. It still ticks over perfectly but when I try to accelerate it either stalls or starts popping. Carb was set up by pro and hasn't been adjusted since, worked perfectly. Timing OK, haven't checked points yet.

Any ideas?

P.S it's a RHD '67 standard with a 1200

EverettB wrote:
Is it wrong to be jealous of their facial hair abilities?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with the usual tune-up stuff, both to make sure they are right, and also because many minor failures are discovered while checking and adjusting these things.

Do you know how to adjust the choke? Sounds like it might be stuck closed. You may also have a vacuum leak that is masked by the operation of the choke when cold.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, do a tune up first.

If still a problem check if the accelerator nozzle is partly or fully clogged.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of specific things to check as you tune it: check the ignition advance as well as the spray of the accel pump.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point's cans sure cause this, It could be last time they were changed they were not re-adjusted after a drive. Points tend to close up over time. I set the new points at 20 thousandths then after about 100 miles or so check the timing it will usually be retarded 5' degrees sometimes more. After the points have a few miles on them check the Dwell or make sure they have at least 16 thousandths of opening. Are you intake manifold and carb to manifold bolts tight?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: