Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Arduino Economy Computer
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Arduino Economy Computer Reply with quote

So as not to hijack rumitcu's thread on his great battery monitor using an Arduino, I've copied several posts from that post to start this one.

spitsnrovers wrote:
Quote:

I'm also in the process of setting up an Arduino liters/kilometre computer unit in a 2.1 Westfalia. I posted a question on this list about a year ago, asking if anyone had info on finding the VSS signal, and the injector signal - no replies.

and volksaholic replied:
Quote:
the Vanagon speedometer has a knockout for the Jetta VSS. It's just a matter of screwing it in and connecting the wires (Power+, GND, Signal).

then r390 said:
Quote:

It is simply the 3 wire sensor from many A2s and some Audis. Not the 2 wire one A1s and Vanagons use.

The wbx injectors all get pulsed together at the same time. I believe the pulse width varies by load. So you would just tap into the signal in the ecu based on the schematic from the Bentley.

As my '88 has factory cruise control, I know there is the VSS signal at the speedo. But does the reference to 3 wire vs 2 wires apply to the VSS signal?

And is the fact that wbx engines injectors all get pulsed at the same time significant? The Arduino computer chip needs one pulse per injector firing, although there is provision in the software to set multipliers and other factors.

I do have the Bentley, but haven't fathomed the ECU stuff Sad

Appreciating all input and suggestions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino Economy Computer Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
As my '88 has factory cruise control, I know there is the VSS signal at the speedo. But does the reference to 3 wire vs 2 wires apply to the VSS signal?

And is the fact that wbx engines injectors all get pulsed at the same time significant? The Arduino computer chip needs one pulse per injector firing, although there is provision in the software to set multipliers and other factors.

r390's post implies that yours would have the 2 wire VSS, but I can't say for sure as mine didn't have factory cruise. It would be easy enough to pop the speedo housing off and check... there should be a little rectangular block screwed on the back of the speedometer with several wires coming out. My Jetta VSS is yellow... I don't know if that's the same.

I haven't put a lot of thought into a fuel economy computer, but I would think that having the injectors firing simultaneously would simplify your computation.

pd
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Digijet/Digifant pulse ALL 4 injectors at the same time. I know GM's ECU's ran a PWM signal to the injectors at a fixed frequency, varying the pulse's width to modulate fuel delivery. If you look at the video posted the other day, it looks like Bosch did the same thing (or maybe GM did the same thing as Bosch).Video is in this thread. It looks like a fixed frequency, but I'd throw a scope on there to be 100% sure.

But I guess that doesn't really matter, PWM vs Frequency, you just need to know the amount of time the injectors are on. Most uControllers have timers that can be interrupt driven.

So you'd have to measure the ON time, and accumulate it, multiply that by the injectors CC-of-fuel/unit time, to get the amount of fuel going into 1 cylinder. Multiply again by 4 to get all the fuel going in. This will get you pretty close, but error will be introduced by the fuel regulator, since that is partially controlled by manifold vacuum, the pressure that the injectors see is not constant. But you should be pretty darn close, as they say, close enough for government work. Smile

This, by the way, is how it's done by automakers (BMW and it's vacuum/economy gauge not withstanding).

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUH! I understand!

The trick is the time measurement. It is actually (almost) frequency independent. (Almost because you need to measure fast enough.) You just want the on time. What you are trying to do is make a computed flow meter.

If you have constant pressure and know the flow rate of the injector, you know how much fuel. When you have your injectors cleaned, you get a nice chart of flow rates. In other words, old injectors will cause errors.

Now you got to worry if you can code your controller timers well enough so you can capture time with out errors introduced in the interrupt service routine.

I just can not guess how close you will be.

FYI: I have seen commercial flow meters that are put in line with the system feed line to measure the flow.

This is a neat exercise, but can you tell me why you want to do this?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
Checked the Bentley and found pin 12 is THE wire to the 4 injectors, with pin 14 being the common return.

Yes, the VSS unit on the speedo is a 2 wire system. But the Arduino needs only 1 wire for signal, so hope that works.

Spinaltap, The computations you gave should be able to be worked into the Arduino set up. Work won't start on testing and installing till sometime after June 1st.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a O-scope to check the signals. I don't know what sort of signal conditioning your controller requires.

I am a PIC / ARM / Atmel person and hence am a bit more deeply embedded looking at things.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I did it with arduino was to use one of the chip's interrupts to count the number of times the injectors fire every cycle of main loop inthe sketch. Ofcourse you need to have accurate timing of the cycles, but it works ok.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
DUH! I understand!

[EDIT]...My response here was probably not the nicest thing I could have said...apologies.

r39o wrote:

This is a neat exercise, but can you tell me why you want to do this?

Because he/she wants to know, real-time, the fuel economy of the beer run!

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.

Last edited by Spinal Tap on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, just maybe, there is an rpm or load related indication you can get in real time. Great. Great if that helps. Maybe you can see things better in real time than on a per tank basis. Fine.

I can think of LOTS of other things the processor can watch that would make a real world difference in real time. Better dynamic oil pressure monitoring. Real coolant temperature (or close to it,) other voltages or, perhaps, charge current. Stuff that can ruin your day if something happens. But, that is just me, I guess....

Keep having fun!

tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but.... Perhaps someone else is reading it. On the 1987 VW Golf GLI, which is the convertible in Europe, there was a small flowmeter installed on the fuel line running to the little in-dash clock/computer, which among other things displayed fuel consumption.

Just thought I'd mention it, as that could perhaps be another route to achieve the same.
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tilstad wrote:
... there was a small flowmeter installed on the fuel line running to the little in-dash clock/computer, which among other things displayed fuel consumption.

Just thought I'd mention it, as that could perhaps be another route to achieve the same.

You could use two fuel flow meters. One after the filter, and one on the return. Their difference is the fuel consumed.

Unfortunately, the error in the sensor reading will probably be significant. Still.. would be nice to have some indication of fuel in-efficiency.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see the renewed interest. I had put this project in the Too Hard basked, but will have to revive it again. I guess the truth is I'm scared to get involved with the wiring of the ECU. Confused
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that Golf computer/clock could have been substituted for the vanagon digital clock. They were about the same size. Then again, it's quite some time ago I had a Golf like this, so I can't vouch for a good fit.

It did have a stalk though, with various buttons on it.

I believe this is how the cluster looked like, and based on the symbols I guess one could assume the functions of it. I seemed to remember it did dual trips aswell.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older VW trip computer (had one in my 84 scirocco) fuel mileage computer calculations are based on engine vacuum, so reasonably accurate but not nearly as precise as measuring fuel flow via injector duty cycles. Recent fuel mileage add ons are using this information via ODBII, so will not work on the vanagon. The reason you don't see flow meters installed is the fact that as mentioned, you would need two and enough intelligence to provide the difference between the two. The fuel pump runs 100% duty cycle, and any therefore any excess from the regulator is returned to the tank via fuel return.

I did a fair bit of reading on the topic of late, so simply installing a vacuum gauge to monitor will change your driving habits. Injector pulse, and some intelligence is the best way to monitor fuel flow...and being that we don' have ODBII, I would be all over this project using Arduino Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: