Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle Reply with quote

has anyone tried using engine support bar from the Type 2 bus or Type 3 in a Beetle?

i know the Berg traction bar works, but i am looking at something i can bolt onto the case just like how VW done it with Type 2s and 3s.
latenightaircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure take the Type III center weld it to a Berg style and you are done. We have done it many times and works great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
latenightaircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure take the Type III center weld it to a Berg style and you are done. We have done it many times and works great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1redvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what i did for my set up because my car is so low that a berg style bar would be the lowest part of the car and drag on the ground. it has worked out good so far
i made it like the 911 Porsche style and just cut the ends off the t3 hanger and welded 1/2" gas pipe to the ends and used 7/16" bolts to 3/16 L brackets bolted to the inside apron/bumper brackets. had to do a lot of grinding for it to fit the oil pump and for my merged header but it fits very nice... even with the an fittinga and a burg pressure relief pump cover.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JPro62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle Reply with quote

1redvert,
What type of exhaust did you run with that support bar?
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle Reply with quote

That is pretty stinking slick. Why is this the first time I have seen anyone mention this? I am not sure if it would clear the a1 lowdown though....definitely not a sidewinder
1redvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle Reply with quote

JPro62 Emeraldlion
I have a Phoenix 1-5/8 mearged header & it works good with this setup. I did have to grind some off for it to fit. Hope that helps.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle Reply with quote

It's a good way to mount the engine.
I'm skeptical that the body is really strong enough.

Never was strong enough to jack up the car to begin with, and the passage of time hasn't helped.

Probably would be an improvement, but, I don't think it's the best setup.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle Reply with quote

I would guess you are right modok. I really like the use of the beefier brace but this is probably where the brace is more than the mounting point and could stress it over time? More so than the berg brace
ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle Reply with quote

i agree with 99% of what modok says so i hate to disagree this one time, but that part of the body is just as strong as any other part of the body on a volkswagen beetle.

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle Reply with quote

ac509 wrote:
i agree with 99% of what modok says so i hate to disagree this one time, but that part of the body is just as strong as any other part of the body on a volkswagen beetle.

Until dirt collects inside the bracket . . . where there is no paint . . . and rust starts to weaken the quarter panel and bumper bracket mount . . . seen it several times!
Might not be a problem in other states . . . I have experience with only California cars! Rolling Eyes
ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: engine support bar from Type 2 and 3 used in Beetle Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
ac509 wrote:

Until dirt collects inside the bracket . . . where there is no paint . . . and rust starts to weaken the quarter panel and bumper bracket mount . . . seen it several times!
Might not be a problem in other states . . . I have experience with only California cars! Rolling Eyes

well, this goes for every aircooled volkswagen. in my experience, they are the worst cars on the planet to own, maintain, restore, operate, drive, etc. i have to continually remind myself that these cars were built to a price point. i didn't learn my lesson with the first 2 veedubs. i had to buy a third and this one has completely broken me.

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: