Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

jmr1234 wrote:
Is there any reason my recently acquired ‘73 ghia would have dual solex carbs with only the right having an accelerator pump?

did you look on both sides of the carbs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

[quote="APPLEGREENVW"]Great info from John.

If the idle jet is sized properly the idle mixture screws will be out more to get the proper idle mixture, and the mixture will also be correct on progression.

If the idle jet is too big, your idle mixture screws will be in too far (barely cracked) at idle, and while it will have the proper idle mixture it will be very rich on progression.

If the idle jet is too small, the idle screws will be way out at idle (proper idle mixture), but will be way lean on progression.

Weber is not stupid. When the idle jet is sized properly the idle mixture screws will be in a specific range, and will work properly on progression.

What is that specific range for 48 IDAs? Thx in advance

Question Question Question

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

[quote="busey"]
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Great info from John.

If the idle jet is sized properly the idle mixture screws will be out more to get the proper idle mixture, and the mixture will also be correct on progression.

If the idle jet is too big, your idle mixture screws will be in too far (barely cracked) at idle, and while it will have the proper idle mixture it will be very rich on progression.

If the idle jet is too small, the idle screws will be way out at idle (proper idle mixture), but will be way lean on progression.

Weber is not stupid. When the idle jet is sized properly the idle mixture screws will be in a specific range, and will work properly on progression.

What is that specific range for 48 IDAs? Thx in advance

Question Question Question

Did you look here?
http://www.aircooled.net/rebuild-weber-48-ida-vw-carburetors/

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Thought I linked this thread here to help others who may have issues with the empi D series DLRA clone carbs. Seems a manufacturing defect makes them unusable (progression holes drilled in incorrect position).

Looks like the easy test to see if they are usable is to see how many turns it takes to expose the progression hole.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676481

Even though empi keeps saying they have never heard of this problem, I myself have forwarded this thread multiple times and continue to comment on various official empi platforms including their customer service posts they put out on social media. They just dont care.
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
... comment on various official empi platforms including their customer service posts they put out on social media. They just dont care.

That's a shame. Especially after they explained that they wanted to move away from cheap parts and reconnect to quality...
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
M7x1

Weber originally used a half nut, leaving a couple of threads exposed. Subtracting from the strength of the half nut is the two flats on the throttle shaft. It's no wonder that they strip out so easy. I ususally use a full nut for better security. You can find a full M7 nut holding the nosecone of your trans on.

*M7x1.00 Nut, for Weber 40 IDF carburetors.

Great tip from Bruce.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Not sure if I added this here before but thought it had some good info on carb CFM flow between different makes and models.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132830
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Read this thread on rebushing ICT/EPC and thought this was a good inexpensive way to rebush carbs or throttle bodies. Only thing is I dont recommend the use of oil impregnated bushings as the gas will wash it away over time.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738525

Quoted just in case the original site/page goes away

http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/driveline00/1001/jasw.html

Ann & Jake Snyder wrote:
The trick is to use the reamer in a backward sense, with the 5/16 end acting as the pilot, and the reamer being driven from the front end ordinarily used to enter the work. Naturally the reamer must be turned counter-clockwise to present the cutting edges of the flutes. The modifications are to grind cutting edges on the trailing end of the flutes, and to attach a nut on the front end with set screws so the reamer can be turned with a wrench or socket.

What you need to do this:

One reamer, 3/8 inch (comes with 5/16 shaft) (Enco number 331-1124, Enco Manufacturing Company, 1-800-873-3626); one 3/8 inch nut; two 8-32 set set screws 3/16 long. Four bronze bushings, 3/8 outside diameter, 5/16 inside diameter and 1/2 inch long (HIF carburetors) or 3/4 inch long (HS carburetors). The shorter bushings will work in HS carburetters, but longer is better because there is more surface to absorb wear and control air leaks. These cost anywhere from twenty-five cents apiece to three dollars apiece depending where you buy them and whether they come pre-lubricated, The most economical and fastest place to get them is from a company that specializes in distributing bearings.
bushing

Addendum DEC 4, 2005: The bushings that work are 5/16 inch inside diameter, 3/8 inch outside diameter and 1/2 inch long (3/4 will work). They should be of Oilite bronze. The simplest place to get them is from McMaster-Carr as catalog number 6391K153. You will need four. They cost 43 cents each. The 3/4 inch long bushings are part number 6391K155 for a few cents more.

Addendum JUNE 24, 2011: The ENCO reamer 331-1124 (import for $10.5Cool is no longer machined for full length of the chucking shank, so is no longer suitable for this job. ENCO reamer 329-1124 (USA made for $17.42 list or $13.99 web) does have the reduced diameter shank and will work for this task (as shown in these pictures).

A five-dollar reamer and a 20 cent nut are the main parts needed.
Two 8-32 set screws will hold the nut in place.

How you do it:

Step one. Bore out the 3/8 nut with a 3/8 drill so it will pass over the reamer. Bore and tap two holes on two flats of the nut for the set screws. Fasten the nut on the front of the flutes of the reamer and tighten the set screws. Grind them off if they protrude. Grind cutting edges on the trailing end of the flutes: This will become the new cutting end.

The assembled reamer, showing one of the set screws. We have also made some reamers by welding, but the high temperature is probably not a good idea for a precision tool. Note that cutting edges have been ground at the original trailing end. We used a die grinder on this reamer, but we have also had perfectly acceptable results using a hard white stone.

Step two. Disassemble one of the carburetters-do one at a time so there is a reference when something does not make sense. Clean the carburetter body with solvent and a pick. Holding the carburetter body securely in a cushioned vise, and, turning the reamer “backwards”, pass the shaft through the body into the hole on the other side. Ream the near side. Check fit a bushing, then remove it, smear with thread-locker and refit. Then ream the remaining throttle rod hole and fit a bush in the same manner.

ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I realize this is sort of an old thread but I'll give this a try....I have a '59 Ghia with an 1835cc motor and a pair of Solex 40/44 carbs. I just rebuild the carbs after a good cleaning in carb cleaner.
Question is this... should bottoming out the idle mixture screw shut down the cylinders that that carb supplies? I can leave the screw in the closed position and it still runs.
BTW this is a great thread and it answered another question I had about a slight drip from the accelerator pump tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

ron3865 wrote:
I realize this is sort of an old thread but I'll give this a try....I have a '59 Ghia with an 1835cc motor and a pair of Solex 40/44 carbs. I just rebuild the carbs after a good cleaning in carb cleaner.
Question is this... should bottoming out the idle mixture screw shut down the cylinders that that carb supplies? I can leave the screw in the closed position and it still runs.
BTW this is a great thread and it answered another question I had about a slight drip from the accelerator pump tube.

What’s fuel pressure? Kadron carbs like less than 1.5psi
What the jetting?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
ron3865 wrote:

What the jetting?

Jetting is 130/55 and the fuel pump is a stock engine driven pump. I haven't checked the fuel pressure.
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

ron3865 wrote:
Mikedrevguy wrote:
ron3865 wrote:

What the jetting?

Jetting is 130/55 and the fuel pump is a stock engine driven pump. I haven't checked the fuel pressure.

----------------------
OK,...just checked fuel pressure and it was 3psi.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Clone IDFs have been around for a while now, thought this might shed some light on the quality these days

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738306
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Do 36HP style "doghouse" fan shrouds allow theuse of a t-stat or are they all straight through blow all the time?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
Do 36HP style "doghouse" fan shrouds allow theuse of a t-stat or are they all straight through blow all the time?

You would have to drill holes to mount the flaps. none come ready for flaps... you have to make them fit. And many shrouds are empty, no internal vanes.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Awesome Powdercoat sells scat 36hp shrouds that have been modified to accept the OEM flap assemblies.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Backtotheeightiesagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

At least 50%of the problems with aftermarket carbs are the linkage they come with. You can set it OK at idle, or maybe full throttle. But not everywhere. Then as you use it wear changes everything.
An idea that will never catch on as there is no money or profit for manufacturing companies is this.
With one throttle pedal attach two cables. One cable going directly to each carb (pivot). No swivels/arms/bars.
1)cheaper. Cost of two probably longer cables.
2)each cable has 50% less strain
3)pulls same both carbs, not possible to be uneven. Still could have threaded bicycle end fine adjuster.
4)looks tidier/less clutter if you show your vw.
5)less moving parts=less to fail.
Yes don't try it and I'm sure 99% won't. Mainly because no one ever has( one day with spare time I will....whatever I got to loose) .
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I bélieve such a thing exists, but at a rather steep price.
Having said that, it would be easy to make one yourself. You'll just need to source a cable coupler from a flat twin BMW motorbike - the R series - as they use such system.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

It’s called Sync-Link.
https://www.limebug.com/product/view/2128/sync-link-throttle-linkage-ida-idf-delortto

Or here
https://lnengineering.com/sync-link-throttle-linkage-kit-for-weber-idf-carburetors.html

Or here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2169636

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Awesome Powdercoat sells scat 36hp shrouds that have been modified to accept the OEM flap assemblies.

You mean he drills 8 holes?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: