Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Thanks again for the reply.
Ok I won't rule out the Weber 40s yet. And no I am trying to avoid two single barrel carbs due to the impossibility (in my opinion granted) of ever getting the mixture the same on those two adjacent cylinders due to one cylinder leading and one lagging in the timing sequence. VW did make it work - kind of but, it is not ideal.

Are the Weber copies worth the savings or is it false economy?

The major reason for the fixation on cold weather running is my involvement with a form of ice racing here in our long northern winters that are held right down to -30. Neither my sand rail nor this beach buggy will run consistently enough to be usable presently. Lack of thermostats being the main culprit there. I could heat the cargo trailer I haul them in to help the starting issue with the Webers though. The sand rail with it's stock Solex will start right down to -35 instantly with no block heater. Just will not make a smooth transition to fully warmed and running right without a thermostat.

Oh for a complete type 4 FI system and the parts to keep it running for the next 10 years! Dreamer I know!

Thanks again for taking valuable time out of your day for my questions. Merv
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

The Gen III HPMX seem to be doing OK from what I hear. The gen I carbs had all the cold circuit stuff inside with the block off plate outside and they seemed to leak causing all kinds of tuning issues. The second and third gen versions do not have any cold circuit stuff so that is no longer a potential issue.

Still need to clean them out and set the floats as with all new carbs. The "made in the usa" flat back webers are problematic due to faulty machine work, I would avoid these at all cost

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some have reported good luck with the $100 FAJS weber clones on ebay. Not sure if they have the cold start innards but they are priced about the same as a core carb these days. You can order the jets you need for your specs too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/fajs-40IDF-Carb-Carburetor...mp;vxp=mtr

I see they are also selling a 40 IDA TB now too, maybe your FI dreams can become a reality with a mega squirt CPU and some CB manifolds. A bit pricey but when is FI cheap?

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3161.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40IDA-Throttle-Bodies-repl...SwImRYUoF1
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Hmmm... Ya looks like a bit of a "buyer beware" market out there.

Looked up the CB injection - yikes! A bit pricey for a weekend fun buggy but no doubt good stuff if you are dead serious about FI.

I do have a complete and "running fine 8 years ago" stock FI system in a '70 411 but can't bring myself to part out a complete and restorable car just for that. Call me a sentimental fool! And what to do if one of the components on the original VW system fails...

Thanks for the ideas, I have some time till spring to decide yet.

Merv
Warren43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Wondering what majority prefers when venting dual Dellortos. I've read that it is only necessary to vent the drivers side carb but some prefer to vent both. Any thoughts?
Vicgrcs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Solex 40/44 EIS (Kadron) exploded view

Float level setting:

If using factory thin paper gasket use one thin copper washer under needle valve

If using aftermarket thick cardboard gasket use BOTH thick and thin copper washer supplied in rebuild kit.

A few other notes on getting these to run right.

If you cant get the idle mixture to respond make sure you have the correct Solex EIS/EDIS idle mixture screw.

The two on the left are EIS/EDIS mixture screws, the one on the right is a regular PICT type screw which come in universal rebuild kits. Notice the extended shoulder on the EIS/EDIS which is not present on the screw on the right which tapers immediately after the threads end. The EID/EDIS screw is NLA new, used screws are your only option.

Problems with the emulsion tubes are also common on these carbs. If any water was in the carbs it usually plugs up the tube with "white shit" which requires the removal of the jet/tube to be cleaned properly.

Cracked tubes are also common which causes the tubes to drop off the jet and block the main circuit.

Cracks on the bottom of the tube will allow the small plug at the base to fall out causing other tuning problems.

These parts are NLA and usually require a core carb for parts or replacement.

In some cases you can repair the tubes using solder if spares are not available.

Thanks to VintageSpeed (vwtaiwan) for pics of the tubes.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364481

Accelerator pump circuit.

Another common problem area with these carbs is the pump circuit.

-jet tip location
-check ball frozen or missing
-bowl check valve

The tip of the jet is very close to the venturi where the vacuum draws fuel from the circuit causing the "kad drip" making tuning difficult. To fix this remove jet by turning and lifting at the same time (its pressed in not threaded), anneal, and bend to re position tip above venturi opening.

Stock

Modified

Make sure the check ball is under the pump jet, most of the time its missing. There seem to be two sizes of check balls, early carbs use 2.35mm while replacements in the Radke kits for late model measure 3.15mm. YOU CANNOT USE THE LATE ONES IN AN EARLY BODY AS IT WILL BLOCK THE CIRCUIT!

The last area to check is the bowl check valve. Thanks to bobna54oval for the info.

bobna54oval wrote:
One of my accelerator pumps wasn't working, the pump chamber wasn't getting gas from the float bowl. Inside the float bowl there is a brass plug in the passage (arrow) that is threaded.

I made a tool to pull the plug from a small bolt, turned it down to size on the lathe and threaded it to the size in the plug. (M4X.75) Put a small pice of flat bar with a hole in it across the top of the bowl, thread the screw into the plug and it came out fairly easily. Under the plug is the little black plastic(?) valve, it was stuck in its bore and wouldn't let the fuel flow. I cleaned it all out good and got it moving freely, put it all back together and it works great again. I had soaked the carb in cleaner overnite, I am surprised the plastic didn't get eaten up. Second pic shows the plug, valve and the tool I made.

You can also use the kadron accelerator pump rod to pull the plug as it is also the correct thread

Side note, Radke Services now sells replacement parts that were not available in the past, if your pump jet is broken or cracked, mangled pump rod or melted isolator now you can get a new replacement and save those old cores

Throttle Shaft Bushings

Some GREAT info on TB bushing replacement! Late TBs made after 2010 already have the large 10mm bushing so drilling may not be necessary. In fact the bore is larger than the replacement bushing so other means are required for adequate press fit. Early TBs have the small ring bushing shown below and will need to be opened up.

This will work on most if not all Solex carbs with a 8mm throttle shaft.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662593

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Go to your local industrial supply (eg, granger, applied technologies, etc...) and order 5/16 id x 3/8 od x 1/2 inch long igus iglide T500 bearings. Chuck up the throttle shaft (originally 8mm) in a drill press or lath and lightly sand down the surface of the shaft to smooth it out.

5/16" is slightly smaller than 8mm, so it is a better fit on the old worn shaft, especially after sanding a few thou off the diameter. I found an 8mm id is too large most times on old Solex shafts. If need be you can always open up a 5/16" bearing to fit very nice. You can use a standard drill bit to drill the bore out for the new bearings. Just don't go too deep or you will have junk throttle bodies. Get the holes misaligned too much and the shaft will bind. It isn't too hard. I have done it on a few carbs. These are very good bearings. The cost a couple bucks a pop when you buy them individually, but they are better than bronze bushings.

For using anything other than the stock size bushings, you need to drill out the throttle body for new bearings.

About the size of the hole; igus has specs for press fit, etc. but for this, a 3/8 hole works well. The bearings are slightly oversized on the od for a nice press fit. Just be careful not to deform the soft aluminum throttle bore when installing them. Yes, they can be opened up once installed for a good fit. This is why I recommend 5/16in id bearings rather than 8mm. 5/16in is slightly smaller than 8mm, which gives you wiggle room to open stuff up if needed. Besides, I guarantee that those 8mm throttle shafts are not actually a full 8mm. 5/16in has been a very good fit in my experience with only one needing to be opened up slightly.

Between their dry run lubrication properties, PV rating, and much larger surface area, they will last a very long time.

Hey boss do you know where can i get this piece by any chance? i been loooking for it

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

We have a Type 2 with dual H40-44 EIS solex carbs in the shop. We ordered two overhaul kits. When the van sits, the needle valves are now sticking shut. The stock mechanical pump is not enough to overcome the sticking needle valves. The kits are from Radke Services LLC. I'd use the original needle and seat, but the two I removed don't match.

Any ideas? Are these kits poor quality? Do I need to put in an electric pump to overcome the needle valves? Where can I get a quality needle and seat for these? Thank you. mark
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicgrcs wrote:
Hey boss do you know where can i get this piece by any chance? i been loooking for it

The air correction jet and press fit emulsion tube are not reproduced by the aftermarket as far as I know. Even though Solex is still making these carbs new they only sell the throttle body and floats separate. No hardware, rebuild kits, a/c jet etc.

Your best low budget solution is to just buy another core carb. Ive seen crusty frozen sets for $25 or single ones in the $1 bins at the swaps. The e tube plug and or the tube itself may have dropped from the jet in a junk core, but at least you have the parts to solder back together.

If you cant wait you usually have to pay.

The air jet, pump jet plug/check ball are the last few things you harvest from cores with bad bodies. The last two I had I got $50 ea. and they sold quickly by word of mouth only.

The main thing to look for on used tubes (besides cracks and missing plugs) is the actual jet size. AJ reams his air jets bigger than 150 in an attempt to get rid of the kadron bog. I guess you can solder and redrill them if you HAD to, but not worth it unless they are free.

Ill look to see if I have any extra cores
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
We have a Type 2 with dual H40-44 EIS solex carbs in the shop. We ordered two overhaul kits. When the van sits, the needle valves are now sticking shut. The stock mechanical pump is not enough to overcome the sticking needle valves. The kits are from Radke Services LLC. I'd use the original needle and seat, but the two I removed don't match.

Any ideas? Are these kits poor quality? Do I need to put in an electric pump to overcome the needle valves? Where can I get a quality needle and seat for these? Thank you. mark

I always use genuine solex valves if possible. The aftermarket valves are marginal at best and either stick or flood at 3lb of pressure. Bad gas makes it worse.

Check the valves in other core Solex carbs you may have, Ill bet you will find one to match the others you have.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Thank you. IMC still sells needle and seats for the stock PICT carbs. From memory, they look identical. Ordered a pair and will try again with these parts. I'll update.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Mark, any luck with the new needle and seats?

Vicgrcs, I checked my stash of old carbs and looks like I sold all of my extra kadud parts. Good luck with your search
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I forgot to update. I got the needle and seats from IMC. Nothing unique about them and they did not match the picture in the IMC catalog. I installed them, but also decided to drain the fuel tank and fill with non alcohol fuel. So far so good. The van did not leave because the brake pedal went to the floor when we went to road test it. Single stage master with disc brakes all 4 corners. L/R caliper was leaking. New caliper came today and we bought a dual stage master to retrofit into the 58. Thank you. mark

P.S. After I got the carbs synced and shut off the engine, the fuel pump started weaping fuel out the vent, so I put a new fuel pump on it. I wonder if the regular fuel had an affect on the diaphragm after being exposed to alcohol fuel? Mark
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

You might want to change your oil too.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I saw something about venting the driver side carb.....above a few post's...both of mine are out in the breezzee I wonder if thats good enough venting Confused as for mark wards thingy, dead pumps are some what problematic. old pumps die, pumps that see limited usage and dry put seem to fail also....also all the new gass&additives in them may also be hard on the diafram., or just using a fuel system/injector/carb cleaner can kill them.when ever you do a spring tyme cleanup and use some sort of carb/fuel system cleaner(witch is a very good idea if your car isant a daily driver) always run all of it out of the tank and new fresh gas in. (dont dose it and let it set there in the tank&carbs) put it in with a 3/4 -full tank,drive around however you wish, but try to use that tank of fuel up in a week or so and refill , Ive often wondered about the rubber coumpound the china kits&carbs have in them as well as old nos kits or old carbs that were properly presereved.can they handle the new cleaners? probably not for long so clean&refill. I had 3 bottels of diferent additive's all with about 1" left in them....yup I mixed them to consolidate..... a month or 2 later I noticed the bottle was melting and all deformed.......now befor you start chewing my ass as usual for spelling and mixing additives....when you add a additive to your tank do you know what the fuel had in it to start with????? thus use the cleaner and then run it out and refill..if you store your car use some STABILL in the fuel, dont scrimp use the proper amount, and then when it's tyme to get it out for a run add some fuel system cleaner and go have fun. and run more than 1 fuel filter, one befor the pump and one after the pump. that way nutten gets to the pump to effit up and if the pump takes a shit on it's own or from new/old gas, it catches it befor it gets to your carbs and realy gives you headaches.there's my 3 centavos on fuel systems& issues. if you dont like my spellen dont use any filters. Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Mark! I understood your post!

This stale gas issue may be overstated at times. I went to start up a '92 Jetta last summer that had been sitting for 6 years with 1/2 tank of fuel in it that stunk to high heaven. I thought I would have to drain the fuel system and tank and refill it. Nope - fired up on the second compression and ran the tank out without missing a beat!

I bought a Yamaha bike off a buddy who told me to always use fuel stabilizer as the bike would not start if the gas was more than 2 weeks old. Well the stabilizer didn't change anything, it still won't start after it's sat for a few days unless you drain the carb first. Now get this... last fall I filled up the Yamaha and the Honda out of the same gas can no stabilizer and didn't try to start them until 3 weeks ago. I had a horrible time getting the Yamaha to run but the Honda fired right off!

Some engines may be just fussy.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

On a carb related issue, I am reading on here about fuel pressures and regulators. It seems different opinions exist on what is the proper fuel pressure and how to achieve that.

I have an engine with Kadrons presently that ran rich and poorly with horrible fuel economy. Reading about fuel pressure got me thinking that I may have to address that issue. I admit to not bothering to check what it was running at, just went ahead and made a change. While waiting for a regulator to arrive I just installed a check valve with a cracking pressure of 1 psi in a line from the carb tee back to the inlet of the fuel pump.(I don't comprehend the need to take it all the way back to the tank.) The fuel pressure is now steady at 0.9 psi and the engine already runs night and day better even just sitting on the floor!

The only issue so far was that on one start up one of the carbs had the float stick shut and took a couple raps with a screwdriver handle to fill up with gas. I may need to shim the check valve spring to hold back a bit more pressure. I am anxious to get the engine back in the Buggy now and see how it drives!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I just discovered the reason that car companies use a return line all the way back to the tank. On start up with empty fuel lines the air just keeps recirculating and air locks the fuel pump. Total pain to get purged out!

Once the system is air bubble free you can just discharge the access back into the pump inlet no problem.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Yes indeed. When you shut off the engine the carbs may heat up, and that boils some or, even all, the gas out of the carb, or even the fuel lines. Turns out the air flowing through the carb, and the fuel flowing through the lines is what cools them. I think it is WORSE with gas today, as it contains a a lot more "paint thinner" type stuff now than it did 20-30 year ago, but modern cars can handle that.

Makes sense to have the pump and regulator WAY back right by the fuel tank so they don't ever get hot. This is true for MANY classic cars, not VW specific at all.

The design of the kadrons is not very different from other solex carbs that handle 3-4 psi fuel pressure. Perhaps the needle and seats are poor quality, or there is a vibration problem? It is ODD to have a carburetor that can't handle 3 psi
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I just checked my stock VW pump and it is putting out about 4.5 psi. Not sure exactly as the gauge needle is somewhat below zero at rest. For that small amount I could shim up the pump and likely still have enough volume. I would rather regulate it though.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I just confirmed tonight that it is not physically possible to adjust the left idle mixture screw on my Kadrons with the engine in the buggy!

Very frustrating indeed!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I just confirmed tonight that it is not physically possible to adjust the left idle mixture screw on my Kadrons with the engine in the buggy!

Very frustrating indeed!
thats enough to make you get rid of the Kdogs and gofer a set of empi hpmx's!!
a good thing to do with old stuff that has old fuel in it and it's going to get started with that old fuel in it is to pour 1 or 2 cans of carb cleaner in the tank.good carb/fuel cleaner, not dolllor store stuff.I like the berrymans stuff at wally world. but there are a pile of name brand's out there just stay away from mucas...lucas mucas. even if its seasonal usage run some cleaner through it. gas dries and the residue will make the jets sizes smaller due to the buildup and thus.....burnt piston, butted rings,cracked heads etc.

so did all the gen 2&3 hpmx not have the choke plate on the side?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: