Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1915 Critique and Advice
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighDesert56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject: 1915 Critique and Advice Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I'm starting to gather parts for a 1915cc daily driver. Current setup is a '65 T1, stock 1600dp with dual drla 36's and CSP super comp exhaust. I love the way it runs and sounds; just looking to freshen it up with a decent bit more grunt. Not looking to rev it to the moon, 5k should be plenty, and some decent milage and longevity would be a bonus. The commute consists of city and hwy driving with a few small hills and temps over 100 in the summer.
I'd appreciate any and all input from the newbies and experts alike, and TIA.

Buying:
AA 94 mm piston and barrel kit
CB 2239 cam or Web 119
Tims super stock heads

Have:
Stock crank and rods
Stock dual relief case
DRLA 36's w 28 and 30mm vents on hand
CSP super comp 1.5" exhaust
SVDA

Last edited by HighDesert56 on Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

HighDesert56 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm starting to gather parts for a 1915cc daily driver. Current setup is a '65 T1, stock 1600dp with dual drla 36's and CSP super comp exhaust. I love the way it runs and sounds; just looking to freshen it up with a decent bit more grunt. Not looking to rev it to the moon, 5k should be plenty, and some decent milage and longevity would be a bonus. The commute consists of city and hwy driving with a few small hills and temps over 100 in the summer.

Buying:
CB 2239 cam or Web 119
Tims super stock heads

Have:
Stock crank and rods
Stock dual relief case
SVDA
...........................................................................................................every one builds there motors the way they want to. and every one has the best motor build . you have to build your motor with parts that make you happy . from what i see your doing a great job .i am sure that motor will run the way you want to. great job .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

The one suggestion would be to have your crank counterweighted by DPR machine. I would choose the WEB 119 over the CB cam. I will have one in stock shortly and go to the first person to pay for it. The rest of it looks like a good low budget plan.

Dan
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
HighDesert56 wrote:
Hello everyone,
…….
SVDA
...........................................................................................................every one builds there motors the way they want to. and every one has the best motor build . you have to build your motor with parts that make you happy . from what i see your doing a great job .i am sure that motor will run the way you want to. great job .

That has to be one of the best statements ive seen on here, it’s forewarning yet positive, sensible, and encouraging.

I dont think it belongs on the Samba , Glenn i think this post needs flagged or removed or something.

Also if it were me id get a new counter balanced crank, unfortunately these days to turn a crank around here is close enough to the price of buying a new crank that its not worth doing.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HighDesert56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

Quote:
The one suggestion would be to have your crank counterweighted by DPR machine.

Quote:
Also if it were me id get a new counter balanced crank, unfortunately these days to turn a crank around here is close enough to the price of buying a new crank that its not worth doing.

I had a feeling the crank would be brought up. I'd originally intended on building a 90.5x74, but wanted to keep the cost down and not mess with the engine width.
I'm not opposed to getting a new crank, and am now looking at DPR's website and comparing options/prices.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

HighDesert56 wrote:
Quote:
The one suggestion would be to have your crank counterweighted by DPR machine.

Quote:

I had a feeling the crank would be brought up. I'd originally intended on building a 90.5x74, but wanted to keep the cost down and not mess with the engine width.
I'm not opposed to getting a new crank, and am now looking at DPR's website and comparing options/prices.

I would rather have an OG VW crank with counterweights added then a made in China crank.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advice Reply with quote

I'd build it with the stock crank.
Balance the rods and pistons so they are all the same and build it. You said you aren't revving over 5000 rpm...
I put 43,000 miles on my 1679 turbo with all stock bottom end revving to 5800 rpm and the crank and rod bearings were in good enough shape they could have gone another 40,000 miles.
No pounded out case or any of the other tales spoken on the internet.
For a daily driver you should be fine.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advice Reply with quote

make SURE you get the hand ported and polished super stock heads, a 1915 is going to want to breathe, even if you aren't revving it to the moon.

also, get a set of Grant rings to go on those pistons. The stock AA rings are no bueno.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

HighDesert56 wrote:

Build the 1904.

Bigger is not always better. I promise the 90.5 pistons will run cooler and last longer than the 94's. You will also need to increase the engine compartment ventilation putting it into a '65
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:

That is correct, and also the basic reason to why there are so many crap engines out there. It is the achilles heel of the ACVW game. I for one do my best to weed out the worst comboīs, set ups and parts for that matter.
HighDesert56 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Buying:
CB 2239 cam or Web 119
Tims super stock heads

Have:
Stock crank and rods
Stock dual relief case
SVDA

Agree on the ported Super stocks. That is a good solition.
Whether you chose the 2239 or the 119 will not make that much of a difference. The 119 will run quieter, thats for sure. That said, both choicesd may even be on the high side if you never want to go beyond 5000 rpm, because both cams have a peak power potential between 5000 & 5700ish rpm. You may want to consider to back down to ported stock valve heads and the CB 2280 cam with 1,25 rockers. That will give you more usable power in the rpm band you are aiming at. I want the 1,25 rockers to give you more rpm power when you want it.
If your current crank does not need to be turned down I would send the rotating ass to DPR and get it balanced and continue basicly as you laid out.
If the crank needs to get turned down I would definitely consider a CW crank due to the facts already mentioned. Then you can consider whether you want to go 69 or 74 stroke.
Not directly comparable, but it will give you an idea. bwlow is a 1776 buggy engine with a 2239 cam, Super stock heads by me, 9,1 CR, modified 36 IDF and a crappy Manx header
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The header was later swopped to an A1 sidewinder with a custom (longer) sec. collector and it took care of about half of the afr dip and gave us over 122 hp @ approx 5500 rpm. and better lower rpm behaviure too.

Here is a 1641 type 3 stocker plus with a split lift CB 2280 cam 41/396" lift. modified carbs to 34 mm etc. Massaged stock heads, 9-1 CR, Gutted and modified stock air cleaner and muffler.

Pay attention to especially the torque curve and then decide which behaviure you would want.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:

That is correct, and also the basic reason to why there are so many crap engines out there. It is the achilles heel of the ACVW game. I for one do my best to weed out the worst comboīs, set ups and parts for that matter.
HighDesert56 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Buying:
CB 2239 cam or Web 119
Tims super stock heads

Have:
Stock crank and rods
Stock dual relief case
SVDA

Whether you chose the 2239 or the 119 will not make that much of a difference. The 119 will run quieter, thats for sure. That said, both choicesd may even be on the high side if you never want to go beyond 5000 rpm, because both cams have a peak power potential between 5000 & 5700ish rpm. You may want to consider to back down to ported stock valve heads and the CB 2280 cam with 1,25 rockers. That will give you more usable power in the rpm band you are aiming at. I want the 1,25 rockers to give you more rpm power when you want it.
If your current crank does not need to be turned down I would send the rotating ass to DPR and get it balanced and continue basicly as you laid out.
If the crank needs to get turned down I would definitely consider a CW crank due to the facts already mentioned. Then you can consider whether you want to go 69 or 74 stroke.
Not directly comparable, but it will give you an idea. bwlow is a 1776 buggy engine with a 2239 cam, Super stock heads by me, 9,1 CR, modified 36 IDF and a crappy Manx header

The header was later swopped to an A1 sidewinder with a custom (longer) sec. collector and it took care of about half of the afr dip and gave us over 122 hp @ approx 5500 rpm. and better lower rpm behaviure too.

Here is a 1641 type 3 stocker plus with a split lift CB 2280 cam 41/396" lift. modified carbs to 34 mm etc. Massaged stock heads, 9-1 CR, Gutted and modified stock air cleaner and muffler.

Pay attention to especially the torque curve and then decide which behaviure you would want.
...................................................................................................................what you missed my point was you can tell some one what parts you would build for a motor and so can 10 other people and most of the time they turn around and build there motor. there way and most of the time there happy with there build i see it all the time on samba. by the way .your all way posting on samba when do you find the time to build all these motor you say you build ???? i have better things to do than spend my life posting on samba i dont try to sell parts like you do
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:

HighDesert56 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Buying:
CB 2239 cam or Web 119
Tims super stock heads

Have:
Stock crank and rods
Stock dual relief case
SVDA

...................................................................................................................what you missed my point was you can tell some one what parts you would build for a motor and so can 10 other people and most of the time they turn around and build there motor. there way and most of the time there happy with there build i see it all the time on samba. by the way .your all way posting on samba when do you find the time to build all these motor you say you build ???? i have better things to do than spend my life posting on samba i dont try to sell parts like you do
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
/quote]...................................................................................................................what you missed my point was you can tell some one what parts you would build for a motor and so can 10 other people and most of the time they turn around and build there motor. there way and most of the time there happy with there build i see it all the time on samba. by the way .your all way posting on samba when do you find the time to build all these motor you say you build ???? i have better things to do than spend my life posting on samba i dont try to sell parts like you do

Wow. You did a 180. You went from giving no advice at all and just saying warm fuzzy stuff that means nothing to telling Alstrup he has no time to do build engines and hes just trying to sell parts. Alstrup doesnt sell anything. He helps people for free.

So lets just not give any advice at all, so brilliant. Lets just tell everyone their builds are just fine cause they are not got listen. Your such a pioneer.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
what you missed my point was you can tell some one what parts you would build for a motor and so can 10 other people and most of the time they turn around and build there motor. there way and most of the time there happy with there build

Many people are not looking for advice or suggestions. All they are looking for is permission to do what they already chosen.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
/quote]...................................................................................................................what you missed my point was you can tell some one what parts you would build for a motor and so can 10 other people and most of the time they turn around and build there motor. there way and most of the time there happy with there build i see it all the time on samba. by the way .your all way posting on samba when do you find the time to build all these motor you say you build ???? i have better things to do than spend my life posting on samba i dont try to sell parts like you do

Wow. You did a 180. You went from giving no advice at all and just saying warm fuzzy stuff that means nothing to telling Alstrup he has no time to do build engines and hes just trying to sell parts. Alstrup doesnt sell anything. He helps people for free.

So lets just not give any advice at all, so brilliant. Lets just tell everyone their builds are just fine cause they are not got listen. Your such a pioneer.
......................................................................................................what ever happen to free speach ????alstrup does make sales on samba where have you been .your from CA need i say any more . if he would build his motor righ now he would be happy with it think about this he might not have the money to build a motor your way . i am sure alstrup can defend him self .hes a big boy he dont need some red neck kid defending him from CA.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
.........................................................................................what you missed my point was you can tell some one what parts you would build for a motor and so can 10 other people and most of the time they turn around and build there motor. there way and most of the time there happy with there build i see it all the time on samba. by the way .your all way posting on samba when do you find the time to build all these motor you say you build ???? i have better things to do than spend my life posting on samba i dont try to sell parts like you do

I appreciate that you have better things to do. That doesnt mean that you are right. Me neither for that matter. You are welcome to prove me wrong, and I am NOT too proud to listen if you do. First step in solving a problem is realizing there is one.
I donīt build a lot anymore. 2-4 from the ground up + several repairs a year, along with the occasional exotic Italian and British stuff.
How do I manage? I donīt. Iīm always behind scedule. Not having a large family to take care of helps too.
Also, having had probably 250 ACVW cars/engines on the rolls over the years, both customer engines and my own, gives a pretty good indication about what works well, what is average and what donīt. So no need to get all shook up at that Wink A drag strip is a decent to good way of finding best ET, but very little useful to find driveability. Two different things.
AND, I do sell parts, but only on a minor scale. Mostly to people who want something specific.

Now, lets get back to the OPīs subject.

Last edited by Alstrup on Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advise Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
.........................................................................................what you missed my point was you can tell some one what parts you would build for a motor and so can 10 other people and most of the time they turn around and build there motor. there way and most of the time there happy with there build i see it all the time on samba. by the way .your all way posting on samba when do you find the time to build all these motor you say you build ???? i have better things to do than spend my life posting on samba i dont try to sell parts like you do

I appreciate that you have better things to do. That doesnt mean that you are right. Me neither for that matter. You are welcome to prove me wrong, and I am NOT too proud to listen if you do. First step in solving a problem is realizing there is one.
I donīt build a lot anymore. 2-4 from the ground up + several repairs a year, and the occasional exotic Italian and British stuff.
How do I manage? I donīt. Iīm always behind scedule. Not having a large family to take care of helps too.
Also, having had probably 250 ACVW cars/engines on the rolls over the years, both customer engines and my own, gives a pretty good indication about what works well, what is average and what donīt. So no need to get all shook up at that Wink A drag strip is a decent to good way of finding best ET, but very little useful to find driveability. Two different things.
AND, I do sell parts, but only on a minor scale. Mostly to people who want something specific.

Now, lets get back to the OPīs subject.
................................................ point taken well said. your right this got out hand. what i am trying to say is not every one has a lot of money to build a there dream motor there is a lot of stock crank 94 motors running on the road as long as you dont go over 5,000 rpm they do live over the years i have built a lot of them . yes it would be better to build a 92 thick wall cyl. motor . here in ohio the vw shop i by my parts off of has seen a 35% loss in sales because of the crazy cost to buy parts so it has a lot to do why a person builds a motor most of the time i try to keep things simple when i build a motor take care peace jack spencer

Last edited by spencerfvee on Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advice Reply with quote

I'd go 92 thick wall over 94's but that's just me, I sell cars so don't listen to me though Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advice Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I'd go 92 thick wall over 94's but that's just me, I sell cars so don't listen to me though Laughing
.....................................................your funny your right 92 thick wall
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 Critique and Advice Reply with quote

I ran a 1915 for years.
Stock crank and rods, a Scat C-35 cam, 042 heads with 40x35.5 valves and a Weber Progressive carb of all things. Never really liked it as the power came in late so not much grunt off the line.
Changed to an Erson VW200 cam, a pair of 40 Dells and Monza exhaust.
I loved that combo. Would really scoot and still got 28-32 mpg.
Now I’m running a 2276 with dual 45 Dells, Web 86a cam and CB mini wedge ports. I’m surprised at the increased grunt from the longer stroke.
Not to obfuscate your decisions though.
Just saying that you can have a nice, reliable and fuel efficient 1915 with your stock crank as long as you pay attention to the other factors.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: