Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Great CB Cam Shortage
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

It continues, just got an email, no blanks, and no ETA, think they need a new supplier, there still cant be supply chain issues this far on; Seems everyone else is able to churn out cams, I see places stockin WebCam, Engle, and other cams, whats up with these guys? I like a lot of CBs grinds but this is ridiculous, plenty of cheap grinds out there ie Kuhltek, Empi etc, they have no issues pumping cams out, why are the 'better cam' guys having trouble?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

What grind are you looking, I have one CB cam in stock.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

I'm guessing loyalty issues. There are a few vendors CB will not buy from and there are a few vendors that will not sell to CB. Sometimes bad bridges are burned in the corporate world.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

I think you may be spot on there Dave.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

Everybody is still out of ep cam blanks.
So, keep waiting or find a good cam and have it reground.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

Last I heard they were only grinding their most popular 4-5 grinds, and you were limited to 1 per order. I ordered one of my usual's about 3 months ago, and got it no problem.

Lots of guys have extra cams around. Post what you are after, and maybe someone has one on the shelf? I have about 8 brand new cams on the shelf, and I know Dan has quite a few in stock also.

Brian
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

I don't know what everyone in these forums does for a living (except those of you who build VW engines. Laughing )......but I work with a wide range of clients/factories spanning a huge range of industries......and I can tell you that....NO....supply chains are nowhere near normal and they are not the same issues as during covid or during the transportation debacle a couple of years back.

There is a huge range of raw material and sub-assembly raw/feeder materials that are in short supply for everything from plastics, chemicals of all types and lots of metal products, additives etc.

The root cause is that many, many factories have never returned to their pre-covid number of production lines. Some because of labor. That was the FIRST problem. As that continued through raw material suppliers, those with no labor issues started running into the raw ingredient shortages. Less production lines means that they have large time gaps between when they run certain low demand products.

Add in high fuel costs, container shortages (August, September and October) and the fact that air freight is snowed under.....and it's going to be a while. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

Ray I agree. For 51 years worked in the elevator industry. I visited the last company I worked for that repaired older elevators. Everything is rush. From schools to Emergency rooms. Left 3 years ago, when I entered I saw every inch was pacted with customers parts. I said OMG you guys must be busy I can't believe the amount of parts that needed repair, wow you must be making some bucks, ha. Wrong , they can't get parts. Otis, Schindler, Kone, Westinghouse, Dover etc. Very unhappy customers.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

I get that this thread is about CB cam shortages but, what about other suppliers?

Does anyone know if Shag has his cam grinding machine up and producing his SL-1 camshafts yet?
I was under the impression that he would start producing camshafts within a few months of purchasing Steve Longs (RIP) cam grinding machine.

I have a few Webcams here that need repair due to the lobes being wiped by poor lifter selection or car thief damage. Crying or Very sad
Maybe I can send those off to Webcam and have them repaired.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bedlamite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Sometimes bad bridges are burned in the corporate world.

Sometimes explosives are used.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

Shiaaa, glad I got my CB2280 when I did! (thanks millionmph for the early 2280 trade!) And X2 there most certainly are still supply chain issues, for varying reasons. As I type I'm trying to source some recessed light trims for a customer that have been unobtanium for months
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

I will getting batch of webcams in about a week, I will post here what I have available. I do have a new CB 2240 in stock now and two Web 252’s. All are on ep12 blanks.
flatair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

CB Will have EP billets back in stock this week.
Get them while you can.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

I just checked a bunch and they are all in stock now. Get them while they are hot....
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Does anyone know if Shag has his cam grinding machine up and producing his SL-1 camshafts yet?
I was under the impression that he would start producing camshafts within a few months of purchasing Steve Longs (RIP) cam grinding machine.

I reached out to Shag a couple of months ago about grinding a cam for me, he was not up and running yet, I haven't seen anything from him saying that he was in that position since that time either.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

HA! Just now got an email from Marianne saying the 2232 i wanted months ago is now in stock.. Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

Just got the list of Webcams shipped to me today. Some for customers who ordered them.

86a likely sold
86-5 likely sold

These I have in stock, two std 252's
CB 2240 Helping and engine build customer to move it.
webcam 252+3 on 111 LC strokers cleared on EP12 blank
Engle FK89 on scat blank all the others are EP12 blanks.

Been told by Web more are coming once they get back from heat treat. Also said getting blanks is still a problem.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:

CB 2240 Helping and engine build customer to move it.

The 2240 is basicly a Web 218 on steroids. Can make very good power, especially if you are not affraid of compression. Needs approx 225 lbs over the nose if you are exploiting it.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

Raw materials aren't making it past the great firewall of china
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great CB Cam Shortage Reply with quote

CB's popular 2280 just got a bump in duration. Its now 230 instead of the old 222 at .050"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: