Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

seat release latch help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gutwrencher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: seat release latch help Reply with quote

Anyone have any nifty ideas about how to rig a fix for a front seat missing the pull handle that releases the latch so the back of the seat can be moved up? This is on a 64 notchback where I have a missing one on the passenger side. Thanks for any help!

Gut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping somebody else with more knowledge of the early cars would have answered this, but since nobody did, I guess I will try. The 64 didn't use a pull lever on the side of the seat. It used a spring loaded cable release that was operated by the door. Look at the front lower corner of the door opening and see if there are remenents of the flipper device still there. If so then you need to look under the seat and see if the cable is still at that end. If so, you might be able to loosen the wing nut and take the slack out of the cable and try moving the seat back forward. This might require a couple of tries to get it to work. If however there is no flipper or cable, you might try using a piece of wire sticking thru the front that you can pull to release the latch. Or you can totally disable the latch by tying it in the unlatched position, this will allow you to flip the back rest anytime you want. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
gutwrencher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bobnotch. I will take a look for door release. Currently under my driver side seat facing the back seat, there is a white knob that connects via an 'L' shaped cable/tube to the latch on the side of the seat. This doesnt exist on the passenger side and I assumed it somehow was 'lost' by a PO. I will also heed your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Gut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed this at first...

As he said, there should be a cable that runs from the lower door jam to a connection under the passenger front seat.

Here's a picture of the under-the-seat connection (not connected, obviously):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/scrapbook/63variant/11162002/floor_plate_drivers_side.jpg

The little piece in the door jam can be seen near the bottom of this photo:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/scrapbook/63variant/12202001/doorpanel.jpg
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did some years of seats have both the door cable release and the knob on the side of the seat? i can't find where my cables hook to the seat. its a '66 and there are both types.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knobs only appeared on '68 and later Type 3 seats.

Except for Type 3 Ghias, those are always different...

The cables hook underneath the seat, directly to the lock on side of the seat.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

I have a 1970 Fastback that I have a build thread already created for, but thought that an existing one on this topic might be a better place to find an answer to my problem for. I purchased a set of low back front seats from a 66-7 Type 3 for my car. These seats use the cable operated release seatback release system. Ideally, I would like to get this to work with my late model car.

Can anyone tell me if the cable operated system is reliable, and is it something I can add onto my car? I have not yet looked, but I assume I would have to locate good used parts for this. How does the system stay properly adjusted-would moving the seats forward and backwards on the track no change the cable adjustment?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
I have a 1970 Fastback that I have a build thread already created for, but thought that an existing one on this topic might be a better place to find an answer to my problem for. I purchased a set of low back front seats from a 66-7 Type 3 for my car. These seats use the cable operated release seatback release system. Ideally, I would like to get this to work with my late model car.

Can anyone tell me if the cable operated system is reliable, and is it something I can add onto my car? I have not yet looked, but I assume I would have to locate good used parts for this. How does the system stay properly adjusted-would moving the seats forward and backwards on the track no change the cable adjustment?

It is reliable when installed correctly. If an existing system is broken and repaired correctly - it is reliable. The seats don't have enough adjustment in them to cause a problem for the seat release system. I've owned several early cars and never had an issue with the cable release system.

Adding this system to a car doesn't seem like a good time. There are brackets welded to the body that hold the lever in place and additional holes in the A pillar for the lever. to operate. It's not something I would look to add to a later car. Get seats from a 68 or 69 and convert those to low backs if that's why you're buying early seats.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

That is why, and I do have the original seats...I have just not come across converted seats that don't look like they've been converted. Perhaps there is a way to make them look correct.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

Tram bent sheetmetal seatback foot operated releases for the lower back of the front seats.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

I was trying to find where I had read a solution about nine months ago, but did not bookmark or print it. So Sorry about this is from memory.
What I saw as a Hack solution was using a modified choke cable attached and anchored under the 61-66 seat. The knob sort of stuck out on the seat bottom rear. (don't remember how) And the other end was attached to the eyelet on the Seat release. And the knob was pulled to release the seat.
I considered doing that before getting the correct cable and door release mounts. (Thanks to Mike F for the cable). My fear was the door mount assy. was too far gone on Gretchen. But I was lucky. I now just have to get the cable placed and functional before I install the carpeting this Summer.
My question is more about the rail mount. Would the older seats slide properly on a newer rail set up? I am ignorant about that.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
My question is more about the rail mount. Would the older seats slide properly on a newer rail set up? I am ignorant about that.

The seat rails were the same until 72 when they went to a 3 point system.
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

get yourself some new seat track bushings and some silicone spray
and they will slide like new

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

put some in the panelvan when i redid the seats and they slide perfectly

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

Quote:
The knob sort of stuck out on the seat bottom rear. (don't remember how) And the other end was attached to the eyelet on the Seat release. And the knob was pulled to release the seat.

mines like that, I just made a bar with a large bearing ball to push down to release the seat, it sticks out behind the seat

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
michaelpainter0917@gmail.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

I am working on a 1965 notchback for my boss. He is wanting the flip seat cables installed that function when opening the door. Is there anyone with a diagram of how it works. As well as were parts can be found. I have passenger side cable but it is not hooked up to the seat. It is missing a bracket or whatever secures it to the seat.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

michaelpainter0917@gmail. wrote:
I am working on a 1965 notchback for my boss. He is wanting the flip seat cables installed that function when opening the door. Is there anyone with a diagram of how it works. As well as were parts can be found. I have passenger side cable but it is not hooked up to the seat. It is missing a bracket or whatever secures it to the seat.

You should probably post up some pictures of what you're working with. The system itself is fairly simple, but some of the parts are pretty hard to come by.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

So the "S" hook gets hooked into the latch that holds the seat back upright on the outside of the seat base. The piece with the part number, slides over a stud, and is held in place with a wing nut.

You can see most of the pieces here:

https://vwispwest.com/type3/body/interior/squareback/seats/

The piece held in place with the wing nut is under #13. You can probably just get away with a nut if you can't locate a wing nut.

Sometimes the switch side, where the door pushes against it or releases it when the door is open, can be very stiff and cause issues with the door closing, etc. I've seen a ton of dented doors here, where the operating switch is basically locked up. Make sure yours is functional.

Lastly, a lot of these no longer work. Don't be too surprised if yours doesn't. But hopefully it does!

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: seat release latch help Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the help. I will keep it all in mind
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: