Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windsheild wipers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jac harnett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Windsheild wipers Reply with quote

The wipers on my 78 ce westie move on there own some times when I turn the steering wheel. Driving seems ok. They do it when pulling hard in a parking lot turning right. The do not go through a full cycle just move up about 2".If I cycle them, they go back to there park location. It has the oe brown switch in it.
Today I had time, pulled the plug off the motor. Pulled hard back and to the right, I could here a relay chatter. Strange because I do not find the int. spot on the switch.
A little back round. I got the bus with the ign tumbler out and the steering unlocked, they lost the key. I have replaced it and all that works fine. I see a 3/4 inch gap between the wheel and cover. The top bearing feels loose, I have one ordered.
Any ideas on this gremlin?
Jac
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have a bad bushing or such in the column and/or something wrong with the cancellation mechanism. In general on these older rigs I do not even attempt to repair a cancellation mechanism, I just disable it, and buy a flasher relay that makes enough noise for me to hear it easily.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lock housing has a bolt on it that allows it to move up and down. If you pulled that off you may have disturbed the height. There really is no bearing that goes bad in the column. The rubber puck on the bottom fails sometimes and I guess that might affect height. Bentley has the dimension you need to adjust that gap to. Were it me I would just replace the wiper switch as it sound like it may be bad. The wiper switch and turn signal switch are in the housing. One mod you might look at while you are working on this area is with one jumper and a different relay you can set the bus up like later cars where you can flash the lights even when off with the high beam switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: