Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro owner puzzler question, SOLVED
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Syncro owner puzzler question, SOLVED Reply with quote

Coming home at night I hit a long board with nails in my street, probably dropped during trash pickup earlier that day. Before I could identify the danger and stop , my front wheels hit it. My otherwise stock Syncro has 2 badly punctured front tires in size 215/70/16. I need to drive the Syncro 20 miles on a busy interstate to a tire shop. I don't have 2 spares of that size, only 1 spare. I still have the puny 205/70/14 wheels I took off. I have the normal tools any syncro guy should have. How do I solve this with the least amount of work using what I have and without any extra stress to the VC?

Mark

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use fix a flat to get to the tire store. Just let them know you put it in the tires.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove frt shaft, put two 14" on front n head to tire shop.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would swap in good wheels in the front, pull the driveshaft and away I would go to get the punctured tires fixed...or have a Buddy drive me and my wheels to a shop and leave the Syncro at home.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could work if they weren't so badly punctured. The tires picked up the board and when the board hit on the front diff carrier the multiple nails ripped their way out of the tires. I tried my can of flat fix on the one that didn't seem as bad but it didn't hold. Easy to try though not the solution.

Mark

DAV!D wrote:
Use fix a flat to get to the tire store. Just let them know you put it in the tires.
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to plug the tires? I've had punctures bad enough I had to use 2 plugs tot get me on the road and to the tire store to get a proper patch.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tires are radial type and punctured badly, the plugs will need to be put in from the inside, meaning the tires need to come off and if any inner damage is seen, the tech may advise you to purchase new tires and I concur.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park it on jack stands or just the wrong tires while you take the affected tires to a repair shop and have them fixed.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
If the tires are radial type and punctured badly, the plugs will need to be put in from the inside, meaning the tires need to come off and if any inner damage is seen, the tech may advise you to purchase new tires and I concur.

I've never had a problem using a plug, radial tire or not, from the outside, as a temporary fix until I could get to the tire store...unless the puncture was a sidewall, or too big and nasty. Of course that's just been my experience, and being a poor country boy, I've "fixed" lots of tires this way.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure that could work. But I just got all my driveline vibrations resolved. I finally lock-tited the driveshaft bolts in and they are staying in. I'd rather pay for a tow than open that can of worms again. But I still won't need a tow to get it to the tire shop.

It is just a dumb puzzler, not real situation.

Mark

IdahoDoug wrote:
Remove frt shaft, put two 14" on front n head to tire shop.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Syncro Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Sounds like a good time to buy a decoupler , then put your stock wheels on the front. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
Blue Bay Bus Sounds like a good time to buy a decoupler , then put your stock wheels on the front. Very Happy

Word up Exclamation
Decouplers are a great addition to any Syncro.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Reply with quote

Yes, decouplers are great and I already own 3 of them. But this puzzler Syncro is stock. That is part of the puzzle. Adding new equipment isn't in the answer.

But lets see, stock front 14 alloys came with 820 rev/mile tires. At 60 mph that is a mile per minute, so 820 front wheel revs per minute. Multiply by 4.86 for a stock front r&p ratio , gives front pinion shaft speed as 4000 per minute.

Rear tires of the puzzle van 215/70/16 about 745 rev/mile X 4.86 rear r&p ratio give rear pinion shaft speed at 60 mph of about 3600 rpm.

3600 rear, 4000 front, decoupler sees almost 400 rpm between input and output ends at 60 mph. I wonder how long the various versions will stand for that?

Mark

insyncro wrote:
joseph928 wrote:

Word up Exclamation
Decouplers are a great addition to any Syncro.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It is just a dumb puzzler, not real situation.

Mark

Some options for your simulation.

Plug the tires temporarily and drive the van to a tire shop.
Pop the bead and do the proper repair yourself.
Pull the 2 bad tires and drive them to the repair shop in the wife's/husband's/boyfriend's/girlfriend's/neighbor's/mom's/dad's/friend's car.
Put the full set of 205/70/14 wheels that you took off back on.
Order new tires from the shop over the phone and take your bad wheels there and back with you on the bus.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yes, decouplers are great and I already own 3 of them..
[/quote
Quit hording the syncros. Take the wheels off and put them in another van go to the tire shop and do business, bring them home and reinstall them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah dude.
It's time for a bush fix, and you have all you need.

Pop out the Prop shaft.
Just take that sucker out. It's easy.

Now stick two front tires on it, whatever the heck they are (Nope, doesn't matter, ideally they're the same on both sides but again, doesn't "really" matter, and you have a matched set).

Drive it there, with the busted tires in hand.

If however you have a good working vehicle or ride to the tire shop, Take the wheels/tires to the tire shop. Easy.

If you really need to patch the tires from the inside (Which by the way, would be the "proper" fix, and is a FIX, but PATCHING it from the outside would work. As would a bottle of SLIME) just take the tire off.
Don't know how to take the tire off?
Get two big screw drivers. And I mean BIG!
Heck, a set of pry bars would be way better.....
And a good friend. Bring a 6 pack (5 packs are okay, you get a reward for planning right?).
Now do some google searching.

Basically, you deflate the tire, you stick a pry bar in and pull up, then you stick another in and start working it around. You pop one bead off, then the other.
It's physical, but not technically "hard".
Plug it.
Stick it on.
Fill it up.
Run out of beer.
Take it there tomorrow (whenever the next "tomorrow" is.)

This plan only works if your planning on REPLACING the two front tires. If not, well, this is all they're going to do anyway.....so either do it yourself and be happy, or carry your rims/tires there.

Have any tubes sitting around?
Tubes, though hard to find for modern tire sizes (especially with the proper valve stem) are awesome for a situation like this.
I carry a tube in my syncro (along with two big screw drivers and a 5 pack) for this reason.
It will get you home when nothing else will.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kburns737
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this a puzzle guys? Quit trying to take the driveshaft out Laughing The point is a clever solution, not the most obvious one. Not that I have a clue, how about putting the two front 14" tires on and deflating the rears til they're all even, obviously you wouldn't want to let out enough air to possibly ruin the tires while driving but who knows maybe you don't have to let that much out to get it close enough. C'mon people, ets hear all the real hairbrained ideas! Twisted Evil
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kburns737 wrote:
C'mon people, ets hear all the real hairbrained ideas! Twisted Evil

Grab some shoe goo and slather it onto large pan head screws and screw them back them into the holes.
Throw a few pallets into the wood chipper. Pop the tire bead and throw all the chipped wood inside to keep the rim off the ground.
Fire up your chopper and airlift the van to the repair shop
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put one of your old wheels on the front, and one on the back. Put one of your remaining two good new wheels (or the spare you have) on the front. Drive to the tire repair place.

Easy peasey.

RonC
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Mark

snowsyncro wrote:
Put one of your old wheels on the front, and one on the back. Put one of your remaining two good new wheels (or the spare you have) on the front. Drive to the tire repair place.

Easy peasey.

RonC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: