Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Vert "Bud"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Here we go again. Question, before paint, shouldn't you have the rear wood bow already installed? I'm not familiar with '65 but on my '60 it needs to be in place before paint. Keep the updates coming.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

there are a couple of things that need to be done before paint, including welding on the lip to hold the top above the rear apron. Not sure why it was removed, the previous owner had screws in the top and there wasn't a lip. I'm not familiar with the wooden bow being in before paint. Can you post a picture? I'll be researching in the meantime.

Scheduled for paint Oct. 16th.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is the rear wood bow you are referring to in orange in this picture? If so, is it supposed to be installed and painted along with the body?
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Ahhhh.. body shop road blocks.. . .gotta love em.. Confused

The rear body bow should be secured before painting.. Its normally painted right long with the body.. that way the tack/screw holes are filled and painted too..
On a 65 the bow has vertical bolts along with horizontal tacks..or screws from the outside (both have been found used along the years) ..which are normally filled over. (Hell.. I didnt notice any on a few because they were so rotted..)

Prep under the bow first of course.

As for the rear top securing "U lip"
That was not implemented into production until after approx Oct 66 post VIN 157250032
The 65/66/ early 67 seemed more prone to rip the bow from the body due to the tension. Hence the change..

The u lip secures a cable which tucks and pinches the top.
At that time.. I think the rear chrome that hid the normal tack/staples was dropped.

The U lip can be added (from what I've heard) if desired for better securing.
Probably not a bad option.

Now is the time to make sure that bow will never pull loose again.

Frankly.. the bow.. moving and loosening under top and headliner tension is a problem on all early Beetles. That accompanied with rot.. = bad mixture.

Probably another reason Karmann made a running change..
Plus it seals up better.

Early rear holes.

and lots of times.. as they rot.. more holes get added..

Oct (ish) 1966 and later U lip

Edit.. addition

If you want to add the U lip.. you will need to also add the brackets and holes for the cable..
I think if my memory is correct... the holes are in the U (or J) lip...
Chucks Convertible parts sells the repair sections as well.
https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/index.php/metal-u-channel.html

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Volkswagnut,

Thanks for the info and pix. I'm going to look at Chuck's and go from there. As always, I appreciate any and all feedback.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

I took Volkswagnut's advice and called Chuck's convertible. After discussion of the pro's and con's of adding the u lip, I've decided not to as you run into other problems with the fitting of the top. I've ordered the three piece tack strip that needs to be installed prior to paint. He also reminded me to have the lip on the outside window scraper that runs along both front and rear window removed prior to paint.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

I understand that work has begun on my bug at Georgia Mountain Customs. Hope to have some pictures soon.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Popcorn
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Paint and body has begun...

The body sheet metal has been aligned and removed in preparation for paint

Door #1

Door #2

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

[quote="bigdog1962"]Paint and body has begun...

The body sheet metal has been aligned and removed in preparation for paint

Now your making some progress, the body looks really good, can't wait to see some color on it. Heck you might even be driving it by summer. I have that same crack in one of my doors by the window slot as well, though not as long.
Keep the updates coming. Exciting stuff going on in your world.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible -

Thanks for the encouragement. I do hope to be riding by spring - although the top might not be done by then. I just have to see how the rest of the project goes and compare it to what my bank account says.
ADDA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Sorry to hear all the pain you had with the bodyshop fiasocos I avoided all that so far by doing it myself though that is not without its challenges if you've never done it before. Anyway glad to see you re on the home straight keep it up Very Happy
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Final body work underway. Hopefully to paint by the end of January.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

The progress.. looks good.. Applause

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerLuftkuhler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

i just read this thread thru in one go. What a story! So awesome to see a crashed car get a new life - with no corners cut in the process.

Subscribed, keep it coming!
Metamatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Great thread! Applause

Are you pleased with the IGP fender? Does it fit well, like an original?

I'm Wondering because I'm also restoring a -65 vert and need a new rear fender.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Thanks for the continued interest - it's been quite the journey! So far as the fender, I haven't been up to Ga Mtn Customs paint and body to ask his opinion about it yet but in the past, he's been pleased with the quality. I'll be going there (2.5 hours away) by the end of the month and I'll report back on the quality.

When I bought the car, I didn't really plan this to go the way it has. I envisioned minimal work and just driving it. Needless to say, one think led to another and that's where I am today.

But I won't be doing this again. Very Happy

Next time, for my next VW (I'll never sell this one), I'll be going out west to get one ready/almost ready to go.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

More progress....getting excited Very Happy

Primer being applied.....
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

You must have deep pockets, are you going to do any work yourself on this car?
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

If you mean am I going to do body work which I realize that I don't have the skill set for? no....I'm not going to do it or replace the pans. Am I going to paint it which I don't have the skill set for? No.

And no, I'm not going to replace the top. That will come later when I can afford to have it done right. I don't have the skill set for that either.

If it means that I am paying to have the body work done (and whatever else I decide) and that means I have deep pockets, then yes - I have deep pockets. But I have a job and part of the reason I work is so that I can spend it on my bug. I save my pennies.

So far as doing the work myself, reference the earlier pages and you will see.

And please, don't respond. I'm not interested in justifying my decisions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: