Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Vert "Bud"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Not to dig up an old comment but now is time to address it.

Do I have deep pockets? Not deep enough to fix all this stuff. Smile
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

1. Remove the rear tin and work the body to engine seal down around the head tins. Then reinstall the rear tin working the body to engine seal around it properly.

2. You are missing the accelerator boden tube.

3. The fresh air tubes seals in the rear tin are not proper for your year, instead are for 1970s engines. The correct ones would be the fatter earlier ones.

4. Clutch boden tube curve looks good.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Eric and Barb - thanks for the replies.
1. Engine seal - that sounds a lot easier than dropping the engine.
2. Accelerator Bowden tube - I meant to add that to the list - I remember seeing you post about it missing in another post. It definitely looks naked.
3. My engine has been identified as a July 1972 engine (page 1 of this story book/novel). I've got a fair number of parts/upgrades that aren't correct for 1965 so I'm okay with it.

I've started a wishlist so I don't have to keep paying for shipping and handling.

Thanks for your keen eye and suggestions. I'm always grateful for any feedback.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

To recap:
1. Hood release needs adjusting - currently takes two to get it open
2. Clutch adjustment - DONE (edit - almost. Remove washer).
3. New fuel sending unit - just arrived via mail
4. Wipers aren't working. I bought a reconditioned 12v motor but it drains the battery when hooked up.
5. Steering adjustment - the car wanders on the road and the steering has way to much play in it and is very stiff.
6. Repair hand brake - currently not functional
7. Get a slimmer spare tire - the current one won't fit in the spare tire holder
8. Work on rubber seals - windows won't close completely and when rolling them down, the rubber wants to retract with the window.
9. Install rubber/chrome when it comes in - currently on back order
10. Rechrome or paint fuel sending unit cover when it arrives
11.Adjust brakes
12.New shifter bushing and coupler.
13.Fix the engine seal - seat it properly. Crap! What a job that was! I removed the tin as suggested by Eric and Barb but I couldn't get the sides under. I had to drop the engine a few inches. And you can imagine that turned into other things but it's done. My engine only had three bolts and getting the fourth one in was a learning experience. I learned that one of the bolts has a captive nut and after I got the last bolt in, put the clutch cable back in, accelerator cable back in, etc. - DONE.
14.Order/install heater box to body hoses. Hook up heater cables. Replace/repair one of the heater boxes.
15.Order/install accelerator bowden tube.
16.The air cleaner preheat tube is not installed correctly. (I think).
And here is a picture of the hex socket head bolt - the one that caused me some extra time because it wasn't installed when the engine was put in and I didn't know it had a captive nut. That's it hiding behind the clutch arm.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

17.Replace the distributor and carburetor. The distributor has a very small amount of wiggle to it if you rotate it back and forth. I'm assuming that isn't normal. I had planned on replacing it anyway.
18.Replace fuel filter

Last edited by bigdog1962 on Fri May 31, 2019 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

That washer on the clutch cable should not be on that arm. The cable nut needs to slide slightly to keep the swedged on end straight with the cable. Otherwise the cable will keep getting bent and snap off at the swedged end.
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Awesome build, and it's a vert.

On a separate subject, what do you do in the Army? I ask because I just finished my 35 yr career with them. A mix of active, guard and reserve time. Thanks for serving troop.

This is my 65
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Smeag - that's a beauty you got there.
35 years? I wish. I did 8 years, but I didn't join until I was 45 in the medical corp as a nurse. I got to see and do a lot of things and I met a lot of interesting people. My most memorable time was being part of a joint effort with all the branches of the military running a clinic in the middle of nowhere in Africa. My only regret is that I didn't join sooner.

Congratulations on your 35 years of service!

Eric and Barb - thanks and I will add it to my list. Keep it coming as I post along.
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Hey you did your time. I started in the active in MI, then in the guard I was Inf. I finished out in the reserves as a medic. I was a 1SG of the hospital unit in Mosul Iraq. My civilian job was as a Fire LT. I just retired from that with 30 yrs. Thanks again for serving. That vert of yours is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see the glam shots when she's done done.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Washers removed - alignment w cable and clutch arm is better. And the wing nut had the nipples, so it "clicked" into place. (Thanks E&B)

Next I decided to tackle the shifting problem - sloppy.
There is alot of good information that I got from this post.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157519&highlight=shift+bushing
The first thing I noticed was that the plate was mounted on top of some carpet fragments.

The shift rod was in good shape, already lightly coated with grease - I used more on the install.

I used a variety of techniques suggested in the above post. One of the most important was the string and inserting the new clip and bushing in it. Without the string, I would have dropped the bushing into the tunnel several times.

Other techniques included the broom stick push and the PVC cradle (I already had the PVC pipe).

The PVC method didn't work as well as I had hoped, I had to reach in with the wire hook to grab the shift rod and reposition it. But with alot of grunting and groaning, tons of patience, and a little luck I got it in. I trimmed the carpet and shifter area back, put it all together and it shifts much better. Also replaced the coupler. The shifting isn't perfect, but much better. It will suffice for now.

Last edited by bigdog1962 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 am; edited 2 times in total
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Next was replacing the leaky fuel sender unit with a new one.. The first thing I noticed was the float was half full of gasoline. I don't think that's normal.

And the gasket was toast.

With the new gasket, I added a little extra protection.

Reinstalled and done.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

More a sinker than a floater Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

The hood is stuck down. Really stuck. When I picked the car up, I was shown how to get it open - one person pull the release while the other person pushes down in the middle of the hood and simultaneously pulling up on the handle. It won't budge now and I don't want to risk putting a dent in the hood. I know of two ways to get it open - 1. cut the handle in half and spin the halves until the hood is released. I've done that on another VW I had but you sacrifice the handle. 2. My local VW guy tells me you can get it open by using a crowbar through the backside hole. I tried but couldn't do it. I'm going to give him a shot at it in the next week or two and if he can't do it - I'll go back to #1. Peering in the hole from underneath the car

I had thought about getting some extensions and sockets and take the nuts off but thought I might make things worse. I'll wait.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

The parking brake. When I picked the car up, the rod and button were not engaged with the cam. Relying on past experience many years ago, I took it all apart (it needed greasing anyway) and put it back together. Of course I didn't pay much attention when I took it apart but I knew I had the Bentley manual to back me up. What wasn't clear to me, was the route of the cables. I knew they were routed underneath the pin so I put it back together and it still wasn't engaging. The Bentley manual wasn't clear to me on the route the cables needed to go. I decided to wait until the next day to take another look. In the meantime, I looked on line and a video showed me what I missed - the groove on the underside of the handle - it provides the leverage and shortens the cable engaging the parking brake. See it at the very end of the handle.

I took it all apart (I'm becoming an expert on my parking brake by now with sweat soaking my clothes and getting in my eyes) and reinstalled it all. I also read that you should set the brake pads before tightening down the parking brake so I did that.
I tightened down the nuts on the cables but it still isn't engaging. I took one hub off to ensure the cables are engaged on the lever on the rear brakes and it was.
I don't think that the cable is too long - it was original with the car and worked before. It could be but I doubt it.
The only other thing that I could think of that is wrong is that they are the wrong size brake cylinders. The spacer bars look like they are installed in the right direction.
I'm going to ask my VW mechanic to take a look.
The right rear brakes. The cable does move when you pull up on the handle - the cables are not broken.

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

The car was idling way too fast when I picked it up. Given that it has a knock off carb, it still shouldn't be idling as fast as it was. A quick message to wcfvw69 (thank you!) to ask about possible causes - I had already adjusted the fast idle screw as low as it would go. (Guess I don't have the experience to pick up on something as simple as this). I told him that the throttle arm screw was not resting on the cam. He gave me a couple of things to look at and for once it was an easy fix. They had installed the accelerator cable too tight. Loosed it up, adjusted and now it's fine (I wasn't looking to get the precise adjustment at the moment, I just wanted to slow it down to where it sounded right. More precise adjustment at a later date).

That carburetor is going to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Right now my priorities are 1. The parking brake 2. Clutch/transmission - grinding when shifting from 1st to second - you have to wait until the engine slows down. It leads me to believe that it's the 54 year old transmission needing to be rebuilt because it shifts fine from second to third and third to fourth. 3. Getting that darn hood open and adjusted.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Might be that the cable is set too loose or stretched a bit. Try pushing down on the hood handle (with hood cable not pulled) three times and then see if it will open.
gamaray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

"2. Clutch/transmission - grinding when shifting from 1st to second - you have to wait until the engine slows down. It leads me to believe that it's the 54 year old transmission needing to be rebuilt because it shifts fine from second to third and third to fourth."

My 65 tranny is doing the same thing after 54 years. I've learned to shift going slow and easy straight back for now into 2nd. Our instinct is to go from 1st to 2nd with a slight pull down and to the left a little. in turn, it slips trying to go in reverse and grinds!! makes me jump like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. My plan, being the middle of summer, I'm gonna wait until winter when I pull my engine to detail and upgrade my carb setup.I plpan to swap out for a rebuilt transmission. Bet you'll do the same as I'm sure your itching to cruise in that beauty! lol
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Still no luck on getting the hood open. It will be resolved this week or next. While waiting on that to happen, the driver's door - left side - dropped and won't close without lifting up on it. The passenger's side - right side - is okay. That's not good for new paint. I've done a lot of reading on door alignment here on the Samba. The door seems to have dropped equally on both sides - maybe tilted just a tad but minimal. The doors were aligned when I picked it up.

The first thing I did was take a look at the hinges and to be sure they were tight, adjusted upwards, etc. They look good and the screws were super tight. The hinges are as far up as they would go - I tried raising them to be sure.

Then I took a look at the back mounting points - both had pads installed and looked tight. The left side is torn on the outside.

Now the front - right side - has a pad but you can spin it - not tight.

And the front left - the side where the problem is - an obvious gap.

I'm not sure of the reason why it's this way - I'm hoping that something isn't stripped out. My theory is it wasn't tightened down and the doors closed as it was. As the car was driven, the geometry changed and that changed the driver's door. Of course you can't get to the bolt because there isn't room - the gas tank will have to come out. And you have to have the hood open to do that. (Arrggh!) So, at least I think I know the solution, tighten the body points down, add shims as needed, etc. Hopefully, just a matter of adjustment and nothing structural.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

gamaray - I've got to do some investigating on the rebuilt transmission - something I wouldn't even dream about touching. I've got other priorities now and of course it's hot as hades here even though I'm in the shade and have a big fan.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Have you checked out the "Body Leaks" in the "Look, Listen, Do It Better/Dealer Level Training" manuals? Those are thru the "Technical" button at top of the web page. That has the how to adjust the doors info.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

E&B - didn't know that section existed - an interesting read. I find it interesting that they don't even mention the front mounts - I guess they usually don't have be be adjusted once they are secured. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: