Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Vert "Bud"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Glad to help! Lots of good need to know info in those manuals.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

The hood is open - had to cut the handle in half and spin it loose. Well, almost loose. The bolt started spinning but I had enough room to carefully use my dremel and cut the bolt in two.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Upon further inspection on to why it was stuck, I think these washers behind the mounting bolts threw the lock assembly out of alignment with the lock carrier (attached to the hood). *Edit - that's not the reason. The assembly is flush with the body despite the washers.*

A review of the Bentley Manual shows no washers and doesn't mention any washers in the write up.

Now I can get the gas tank out to get to the front body mounts and hopefully get the left door lined up. Then I'll work on the hood lock attachment, oh so carefully.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

In the above post, I thought the washers might have had something to do with the alignment problem. Then I edited it to say that the assembly was flush with the body and that wasn't the problem. That was a view from the top. I got to looking a little closer and the top two didn't have washers behind them. (Not sure why I thought the washers right behind the bolt would have anything to do with it but realized it didn't). But, the bottom two did have washers between the assembly and the body.

So it wasn't flush at the bottom. I have taken the washers out and will work on the latch when I get the front body mount situation taken care of.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Update:
1. I was unable to get the door shimmed correctly. I tried every combination I could think of. I'm going to let a professional fix it.
2.Installed the body to engine heat tubes and fuel filter.

3.Installed the fresh air clamps

4.I went to put the vacuum line from the carb to the distributor and found they connected the distributor can to the intake manifold. I plugged it.
5.I have hooked up the heater cables.
6.I have researched and the accelerator bowden tubes didn't start until 1966. So no tube for me.
7.The air cleaner preheat hose is definitely not hooked up right and not the correct hose. Currently it stops just under the tin and not near the cylinder head:

I've decided to go ahead with the transmission rebuild, carb/distrib install while getting the doors aligned.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

I replaced the parking brake cables as 1. They are probably 54 years old 2. The cable had been adjusted all the way out and still no parking brake. And despite changing the cables, I still didn't have a working parking brake. I knew this couldn't be too difficult, so I reached out to my fellow Sambians. And by posting pictures, I received some invaluable feedback.

1. One of the adjuster screws on each rear drum is upside down as TCDTCI pointed out. The fat part of the slotted screw (which is angled) should be at the bottom like this

Not like this

And, as Mukluk pointed out - my brake shoes aren't adjusted properly. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

So I finished the left side (and what a difference it made particularly in the adjustment), put everything back together and took off the wheel/drum on the right side and decided to work on it the next day or whenever I had some time.

Once before, when I had the car jacked up and the wheel hanging for a period, I noticed transmission fluid leaking out the right side. Not bad, just a few drops. At that point, I decided it was because the right side was hanging for an extended period of time unsupported so I decided to put it back together and continue to watch. I didn't notice any more leaking - although I'm not driving the car currently. So, after completing the left and getting ready to work on the right side brakes, I came out the next day to find

I decided to take it apart and replace the axle wheel seals. Parts are ordered. (And in the picture, the car is not jacked up by the axle, I am only providing it support instead of leaving it hanging).

I'm confident that after I get everything put back together, I will have a working parking brake - time will tell. So if I had the brakes adjusted properly would I have had to replace the cables? I don't know - maybe -maybe not.

Last edited by bigdog1962 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Waiting on the new parts. The hardest part was getting the old rubber seal gasket out. It too was probably original and needless to say, the gaskets were toast and the weeping hole was clogged.

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

I also found it difficult trying to use a straight screw driver to adjust the stars on the brakes. I did a little research here on the Samba and saw where other people either had a tool or used a bent screwdriver. I took my little propane torch out and bent a screwdriver.

I would suggest to anyone that has to adjust their brakes, bend a screwdriver - it makes the adjustment a little easier.

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Looks good, you should put some clamps on that fuel filter.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Rear axle seal replaced.
Parking brake functional - it was probably mostly because I didn't have the brakes adjusted correctly but I also had to turn over two adjustment screws and I replaced the cable.

Along the way, I read a topic about installing the tire/rim and how some people (like myself) found it awkward and not the easy thing to do. I followed the advice on one person about screwing in two bolts and hanging the rim/tire on it before putting the lug bolts in. I ground down two heads on two bolts and that makes life a little easier. Now, if I can just keep up with those two bolts. Very Happy

(The cotter pin is temporarily in).

Last edited by bigdog1962 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
Rear axle seal replaced.
Parking brake functional - it was probably mostly because I didn't have the brakes adjusted correctly but I also had to turn over two adjustment screws and I replaced the cable..

Good! Adjust it for five clicks to full parking brake lock. When down the road you get six clicks it is time to adjust the brake shoe stars in all four brake drums again.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Thank you drscope.

After adjusting the front brakes, I wanted to be sure the lug bolts were torqued. One of the nuts wouldn't tighten as if the threads were stripped. Tried different lug nuts - no luck. Tried spinning the rim thinking maybe something on the rim was bent out (they are new rims) - nope. Threaded in a stock bolt and it tightened down. Got to looking in the hole and couldn't really determine anything positive. (I probably don't have a trained eye and my eyesight isn't the best). Stuck a lug nut in and barely turned it and it went in this far

A hole that would tighten, the lug nut went in this far

Somehow it's gotten wallowed out. (As if the car was rolled on loose lug bolts). And on the other side, three of the holes same thing. The standard lug bolt couldn't grab on to the threads - the good threads were too deep with the rim on.

The rears were fine.

Unless somebody tells me differently, I'll be ordering two brake drums next week.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:

Along the way, I read a topic about installing the tire/rim and how some people (like myself) found it awkward and not the easy thing to do. I followed the advice on one person about screwing in two bolts and hanging the rim/tire on it before putting the lug bolts in. I ground down two heads on two bolts and that makes life a little easier. Now, if I can just keep up with those two bolts. Very Happy

I've always just sat on my butt next to the car and used my feet to get it in position as I got the lugs started.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Front wheel bearings repacked, new seals, new drums. (I don't have the hubcaps on). All this leads to is good brakes. I can check this off the list.

On to other projects on the list while I await word on the transmission rebuild which I expect to be another month or two.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

When I tried to roll the window down on the passenger side, the sash popped out of the holders on the regulator slides.

After remounting it and trying it again, same result. (Definition of insanity). After scratching my head a while, I decided to compare to the driver's side. Low and behold, the wrong sash has been mounted on the passenger side. And, to make matters worse, the glass has been epoxied to the sash - I will probably have to get new glass too.

With the doors open, the square access hole on the sash should be towards the rear of the car, as seen on the driver's side.

Wrong sash

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Still working on windows - the correct sash is in - now to remove the old sash which looks to be glued in with something. I've got my fingers crossed that I don't have to buy new glass.

Rebuilt transmission to be installed the week of October 14th.

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Let me first say I'm not doing this repair - it's above my paygrade. The reassembly was done at Ga Mtn Customs and I've had a list of things that were done incorrectly. When you have non-VW mechanics working on these types of things, it isn't always done correctly. It's not that they knowingly did it wrong, it's just the little nuances/idiosyncrasies that they didn't know and now it's back in the right hands at Monkeynut VW in Charlotte, NC to do a few things and correct a few things along the way.

Engine out, cross shaft and throw out bearing noted to be broken. Also some wiring issues that need to be corrected and tarboard incorrectly installed.

Tear down

Build up

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

New throw out bearing and cross shaft

Reinstalled

Wiring corrections (the car was totally rewired previously)

Engine back in and tarboards correctly installed

Drive train should be completed this week including new carb/distributor. Body work next week.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Looking good!

One suggestion- The generator pulley looks to be a new Chinese pulley. If so, they are junk. Now is the time to source an original Genuine German VW pulley whether 6 volt or 12 volt.

They look like this-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2329753

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Good point - sticks out like a sore thumb now that I look at it. Let me look into it. Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Vert "Bud" Reply with quote

Also looks like the TO bearing is sitting too far to the left. That can tear up the operating shaft. BTDT.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: