Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan Hub Removal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Fan Hub Removal Reply with quote

Type 4 engine. I am trying to replace the rear main seal. I am having a bear of a time removing the fan hub from the crankshaft. In the past I have just put a peice of steel behind the 3 bolts and it just popped out. The hub is made of pretty good and hard steel.

Not working this time. I have heated up the hub after soaking it in solvent for a couple of days. Some hammering on the hub to see if that helps. So far nothing.

I have a gear puller (a harmonic balancer removal puller) that I have threaded on there and in theory, the center bolt should just walk it off the crankshaft.

Not working this time. Not so much as a budge.

Has anyone ever tried to cut the hub with a dremel tool ? I have not tried that before, but I think I could get it in there to cut partially through it in a few places to remove it without damaging the crankshaft.

Any thoughts out there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I've never had one give me trouble either Randy. I put a piece of steel of some sort behind the bolt holes and use the fan bolts to press it off the crank. I've even used a pair of old Bus keys as the backer. I think you'd be in for a most of the day project cutting it off.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even "sucker punched" the retired VW Service advisor guy here to get him over to the shop and he told me he had never seen a similar thing. He suggested that if I go that dremel route to cut on both on sides of the woodruff key in case that is the problem.

I have plenty of other things to do today, so I am just letting it sit for a while. I am still thinking about it.

If you think of anything else taht I have not tried, just chime in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the 3 screws nice and tight and give the hub a sharp strike with a hammer. the shock wave through the hub may break it free.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
get the 3 screws nice and tight and give the hub a sharp strike with a hammer. the shock wave through the hub may break it free.

I already tried that a number of times. I was sure it would work, but alas it did not.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy - take the time to look over your work for anything you have forgotten to take off. Have you tried a big washer cut with a slot behind the hub with hardened bolts thru the 3 holes working bolt to bolt until they are extremely tight - then hit it with two hammers at the same time, one from each side. That may deform it enough to pop.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE...

It came all last night. I used the "harmonic balancer" gear puller along with a lot of torque on the big bolt that pushes on the center point and it came off as I applied sharp wacks to the pulley using a long punch and a BFH. The hub is pretty dense metal and I don't think applying the heat helped any.

The new seal will be applied using Indian Head gasket cement to the outside of the new seal and oil on the inside of it.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Fan Pulley Reply with quote

Glad you have the fan pulley removed.
t
I too used the snap-on harmonic pulley tool and, found that if using my
3/8 snap-on air gun that they come off pretty quickly with that shock
of the hammering.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check that the three ears are still flat and level. The crank hub is amorse taper. It developes many tons of joining force. When you put it back together makes sure it is dry and has 0 surface rust. Clean it only with prefferably 3000 grit sandpaper....polish only. Clean very well. Oil with thin oil and wipe dry.

Removal of any of these is with a puller.....but back up the ears with thin nuts...not just the threads in the ears. Tghen put tension on the puller and whack it hard on the center....just like a pitman arm puller is designed to be operated. It should always come right off if set up corrctly.

If humidity is an issue...you can wipe the surface with very fine anti sieze like straight nickle. Carefully wipe it all off. Microscopic amounts will remain in the pores. Then clamp tpgether. Ray
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Be sure to check that the three ears are still flat and level. The crank hub is amorse taper. It developes many tons of joining force. When you put it back together makes sure it is dry and has 0 surface rust. Clean it only with prefferably 3000 grit sandpaper....polish only. Clean very well. Oil with thin oil and wipe dry.

Removal of any of these is with a puller.....but back up the ears with thin nuts...not just the threads in the ears. Tghen put tension on the puller and whack it hard on the center....just like a pitman arm puller is designed to be operated. It should always come right off if set up corrctly.

If humidity is an issue...you can wipe the surface with very fine anti sieze like straight nickle. Carefully wipe it all off. Microscopic amounts will remain in the pores. Then clamp tpgether. Ray

Curious...why the importance of exercising such care in minimizing oil/anitsieze?
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: ANTI SLEEEZ Reply with quote

I have NEVER put anti-seize on any crankshaft on any Engine in my almost
50 years of building engines. And, never on any of the 500 + type-4 engines
either.

RAY' iS this some more steps that require wearing Boots that you seem to come up with from GOD knows Where??????.

A properly fitted puller OR press will take the fan pulley off Period!

As for reinstalling it o a type 4 tapered crank it is an interference fit.
without any thing else.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Pretty simple really....a morse taper is a dead fit...nearly swaged together part. The clearance is "0".....technically its an interferance fit but the taper is what allows it not be permanent. A layer of oil can actually keep from locking if its just thick enough...which may be as little as a few microns. It works off of compression, deflection of the metal and surface friction. Its a precision fit and a marvel of design.

Old DKP driver....wear your boots if you want. How many regions and weather conditions have you built engines in? If its enough then you should know that cool conditions and humid weather in a garage shop can put a layer of water vapor or. Condensation on a part like a morse taper. 10 years later...you...your mama and 10 mules won't be able to pull a morse taper apart with any puller without damaging the ears on it. Simple care for those without the best tools and conditions.
I didn't say its what you "should" do...its simply what is possible to insure success under less than the best conditions.
Lighten up . Congratulations on never aquiring a type 4 crank that was not assembled to its hub either dirty or wet. Ray

Curious...why the importance of exercising such care in minimizing oil/anitsieze?
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Fan HUB removal Reply with quote

I am talking about the Type-4 fan hub R&R and not trying to dis-prove your logic Confused

And no, I don't live in Des Moines Iowa and have never removed or reinstalled
a crankshaft pulley at 40* below ZERO either...But I do know that using the proper method and tools that I will not ever resort to putting Anti-Seize on
a tapered,inteference fit in order to remove it again at 60 degrees below 0
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a matter of temperature, but more of a matter of corrosion. On an engine that has seen salt spray, acid rain, and/or high summer humidity parts and pieces just don't come apart very readily. When I lived on the east coast I lathered antiseize, oil, and grease on everything and still fought a lot of seized parts. Living in Oregon corrosion is almost a non issue. You can typically get a 40 year old gadget apart easier in Oregon than a two year old gadget in New York state. Crying or Very sad
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it apart, Randy.

What brand of seal are you putting back in?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan HUB removal Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
I am talking about the Type-4 fan hub R&R and not trying to dis-prove your logic Confused

And no, I don't live in Des Moines Iowa and have never removed or reinstalled
a crankshaft pulley at 40* below ZERO either...But I do know that using the proper method and tools that I will not ever resort to putting Anti-Seize on
a tapered,inteference fit in order to remove it again at 60 degrees below 0

I'm talking about the type 4 fan hub as well.....where did I note that I was speaking about anything else?

Dont assume I'm from Iowa. I have lived and worked in many places and climates....which is how i know there can be problems depending on conditions....which was all I was getting at.

Actually...to be accurate it may not be a "morse" taper...but it is one of the standard industrial taper families....but I digress.
And...it is NOT an interference fit. It is a dead fit that is "wrung" together and uses friction.

Wildthings...it may or may not have anything to do with temperature,...but that was not my point.
If you get condensation on these parts (due to temperature or conditions during assembly) when assembling...as I think you went on to note...you get corrosion after assembly....which will lock these things dead tight...permanently sometimes.

Old DKP.....since you have never relocated and always been in one place...perhaps you dont know that under certain conditions ....anti-seize...prudently applied at a very fine level...is excellent advice for a taper joint assembled under adverse conditions.

When you give advice on a forum...dont assume that everyone works under the same conditions or has available the same tools you do for any task. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone care for some Fields chocolate chip cookies? I have some to spare today. Just drop by my desk...
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the hub off of my crank with a three-jaw puller... The puller got really tight and then suddenly the hub and puller came free and flew off the crankshaft with no warning. Scared the crap out of me!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I pulled the hub off of my crank with a three-jaw puller... The puller got really tight and then suddenly the hub and puller came free and flew off the crankshaft with no warning. Scared the crap out of me!

I like to just loosen the center bolt a turn or two instead of removing it. This way when things pop loose everything will be contained and not fly everywhere. Don't much care for that smashed finger or lost eye thing. Crying or Very sad

Just drill a shallow divot in the center of the bolt for the point of the puller screw to sit into.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: