Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type IV 1700cc progressive setup troubleshooting...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdickerson77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: type IV 1700cc progressive setup troubleshooting... Reply with quote

ok. now that i have my distributor all dialed in where it should be, a BIG thanks to everyone for their advice and help!! now im left wondering why my carb wants to bog out when i attempt WOT. it seems if i rev it up alittle it will do it no problem but if i just do it right out the gate it bogs and falls on its face. Should i change the jets out? any certain adjustments i need to make? Its a Empi brand DFEV 160 and damn near brand new. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx again.
aryue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting up that carb will be the total opposite of plug and play.

Did the shop that sold you the carb provide jetting recommendations for your 1700?

You definitely want to read through the following thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386388&highlight=progressive+carburetor

- Andrew in Austin, TX -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you quickly open the throttle the carb uses the accellerator pump to squirt gas down the throat. This prevents the symptom you are describing. With the engine off look straight down the carb and pump the throttle while holding the choke open. If you don't see gas squirting then that's your problem.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some reading of threads written about these carbs. They are not a good match right out of the box for a Type 4 engine. Lots of ideas out there, you will just have to find what works for you.
jimdickerson77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea took some special tweaking and changing out the primary jet to get it right but i think ive got it now..thanks again everyone for the help. more questions to follow.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see another thread regarding fuel injection. Your probably better off with dual carbs. Kads would be good, Dual 2BBL would be NICE (Dellorto's, IDF's)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: