Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1835 or ACN 1800 for my daily driver
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: 1835 or ACN 1800 for my daily driver Reply with quote

I won't bore you with the details, but on Saturday the 1600DP in my '66 Beetle shit the bed in a big way (it wasn't pretty). Now I am looking to rebuild it . . . better than it was before.

I am intrigued by the AC.net 1800 . . .
http://www.aircooled.net/1800cc-vw-engine-no-machine-combo/
But I am also considering a plain ol' 1835

This car is my TRUE dailey driver. That means that I drive the car to work EVERYDAY. It also sees about 5 +1000 mile road trips per year.

I built a very nice 1776 (ported stock heads, W110, dual Kads) that powered my '69 Beetle, but I am looking to step up a little this go-around. I already have a set of 36mm DRLA's, 1 3/8" header w/ hide-a-way muffler, and plan to reuse the SVDA dist.

What is the concensus on using ported stock heads with either of these engines?

I am open to any and all opinions . . . .
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick wall 92s for the 1835 or 74x88 will both be great DD engines. Personally I would just go with the 74mm forged crank regardless of piston choice. Ported stock heads would be great in this application on either build.

The 36s and 1 3/8 header will give great performance and mileage as well.

A 110ish cam, high rev springs,HD aluminum push rods, solid rocker shaft shimmed to keep side play to a minimum will allow the engine to rev reliably. Running 9:1 compression will really wake up the build and help with mpg as well, tight deck is the trick.

If you are still running the 4.37 trans you will shred the tires! Make sure to run HD OEM trans mounts (211 part number), a bell house strap kit, mid mount of some kind and a traction bar or kafer brace to control all that new found power.
pow_rider17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my true daily driver I am currently building a 1800 for my winter time motor with heat, vs my current 1955 with no heat.

I went around much like you are and many things made me decide this option. I would say it has to do with what you want to pay for/where you spend the money.

I went this way because for many reasons but much like my 1955, I knew what I wanted to build and what I didn't want to build. Then looked at all the options and got to the engine size that way. For each upgrade to X part, you have to factor in the changes it will make to Y and Z parts and whether or not that now means upgrading Y and Z.

......sky's the limit and its a slippery slope so I have to set limitations and stop myself somewhere. Usually pocketbook helps decide this.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sticking w/ the stock 69 mm stroke, make sure to get a CW crankshaft. (Not an issue with the 1800 because stroker cranks are CW already.) If I were in your shoes, I'd go with 94s and build a 1915 instead of an 1835 with the thickwall 92s. It's going in a beetle, so the cylinders should be plenty thick enough. A 1915 with 9:1, ported and polished stock DP heads with single HD springs, dual 36 or 40 DRLAs, W110 or similar cam, and 1 3/8" exhaust would make a nice 100-110 hp daily driver.

Alternatively, you could go w/ a 74 mm stroke crank, 90.5 mm pistons/cylinders, 5.325" rods, and build a 1904 with the stuff.
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I considered a 1915, but was concerned about the heat issue. My '66 has a solid deck lid (i. e., no vents). I'm just not familiar enough with the 1915 to feel comfortable pushing it to 3300RPM for hours on end in 95° heat.

The other part of the equation is that I will be using stock heater boxes. I wonder if they will restrict breathing too much on anything larger than an 1835.

FYI, the tranny has a 4.12 R & P, so cruising @ 65mph yields around 3200RPM.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an 1800cc for my bus, It's turned out to have a lot of torque! Makes me want to drive it gentle and just enjoy how well it pulls. Bet you could get more RPM and easily as much power with the 1835cc in a bug. But build it to handle some RPM etc...
when you get your heater boxes off take some measurements and see if they are the larger ones that came on the later models, sometimes they have repairs to the JTube part of the exhaust pipes which can restrict them down to 3/4"
My 1971 pipes are about 31 mm ID. At the port end.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a 1600 with DH cooling needs extra vents. For longetivity (more than 60K miles) I would stick with the TW 92/TW 88. If you do want to go 1.9 then use the 74 crank with 90.5 pistons like mentioned above.

With the heaters you should stick with the stock exh valve and only mild porting on the intake

FYI the aftermarket large diameter heater boxes suck for actual heat output.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the case and head machine work isn't a problem then the 1835 will be a lot easier to build then the 1800. It is more work to build the 1800 because of checking clearances, shimming, and setting up rocker arm geometry. The power difference between the 2 will not be enough to measure. If the machine work is a problem or you are intimidated by it, then the 1800 is your best option.
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my old heads are trash. So I will be looking for new ones. I'm thinking about the L3 heads from AC.NET

Any thought on how they would perform with an 1835?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im wondering what casting John will be using for the L3 now that the AA 501 is NLA.

edit:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Stocker-Plus-Dual-Port-Cylinder-Heads-35-X-32-p/l3-heads-pair.htm

I just looked at the site and it looks like he is using AA 500 casting now. These are GREAT heads with better cooling than the 501 casting but still have the "heart" chamber.

I just used this casting on a TW 1835 build and they are NICE!. I suggest putting the short block together first, get your DH to .050 and then order the heads with the chamber cc you need to get the compression you desire.

Looks like they might be cheaper directly from AA
http://aapistons.com/shop/cylinder-heads-and-compo...-5x32.html

I know AA can flycut the chambers to the cc you need as well.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 500-400s are not L3s.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Dual-Port-Cylinder-Head-35-x-32mm-Valves-PAIR-p/500-400.htm

are the 500-400s on our site.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The 500-400s are not L3s.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Dual-Port-Cylinder-Head-35-x-32mm-Valves-PAIR-p/500-400.htm

are the 500-400s on our site.

The pics you have in the description for the "stocker plus" L3 are the 500-400

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Stocker-Plus-Dual-Port-Cylinder-Heads-35-X-32-p/l3-heads-pair.htm

The pics in your link for the 35x32 valved head in this link are for AAs 043 clone (043 101 355CK)

That is based on the PICs you have on the site which may be incorrect. A few weeks ago I looked at your L3 link and it still showed the 501 casting
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what valve job are in our L3s? How about porting?

There have been several recent threads where we discussed the casting changes on our L3s.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar situation and I'm leaning towards building a 1915 with the L3 heads. I've had an earlier version of them a few years ago and they worked well on a smaller engine. I had the same dilemma and was building a new 2110 with L5s, but life changed and I sold the car and parted everything out before completion Crying or Very sad This time around I'll try to keep it more simple due to cost.

IMO, keep it simple or step up to the 82mm stroke -- it should be almost as easy, but more expensive.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/DRD-Stocker-plus-35.5X32mm.html
http://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/DRD-L5-CNC-ported-type1-heads-90.5mm-bore.html
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Road-Warrior-Dual-Port-Cylinder-Heads-L5s-p/l5-heads-pair.htm
GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my $.02 - its probably overkill but...
If you are looking for a daily driver with some oomph and are willing to have your case machined why not build a mild 1955 - A CB Performance 76mm crank cost just the same as a 69mm. If you need new rods anyway the 5.5" cost just the same as a 5.4". That was the rational I used on my 2020cc for my THING. I had to clearance the case which took me about 3 hours but if I had to do it again it'd probably take me less than half the time. This engine went together really easy and is about stock length. I'm sure you could still use a stock valved head to retain your heat.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment on Exhaust diameters making the decision for you..........

To make a 1800 flow well a 1 1/2" header is needed for the L-3's to breath properly with the Dells..... Stock Exhaust has been seen to cut down on HP by as much as 20 HP on the 1800/1849's....... Forget which one, but I am thinking of the 1849, that you can get an estimated 115 HP with DRLA's, 1 1/2" Header w/1 1/2" heater boxes and L-3's on a 1849, yea, so if memory surves me right, I am speaking of a 1849.. Nice little motor, been spec'ed out by a few people plus makers of these parts to kick out about 115 HP if all things are taken in concern and done properly and maybe get up to 31/32 mpg @ sea level and "normal" driving...

Yea, it is the above thinking on doing either the 1800/1849 builds plus what is mandatory to get the 115 HP there, which catapults me into 2110 Terrotory, why, gots to by matching exhaust and all, so, why not go bigger, trade off they say is economics, MPG in the end.. But if correct parts are picked like with the smaller strokers, you can get 80,000-100,000 miles out of them easily....

1835, not really into a non-stroker motor, why, well, more leverage with a stroker crank vs. OEM stock, regardless if it is a CW crank...... RB
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
so what valve job are in our L3s? How about porting?

There have been several recent threads where we discussed the casting changes on our L3s.

On the old 501 casting L3 there was no port work and if you got the heads directly from AA it had a Brothers valve job. Not sure if DRD did their own valve job on them if you got them from Darren.

The old "race" casting 501 with the additional material around the intake ports and chong chamber and the 502 castings are no longer available due to foundry/tooling issues. Also the last batch of 500s caused a bit of trouble when porting due to the dropped port making the lower port wall pretty thin. The old 500 did look like the clone 043 but the new "upgraded" 500 now has the chong chamber like the 501/502 but with the cleaner casting for better cooling and the 12mm plug to resist cracking. The addition of material around the port opening allows for a straighter shot when porting that no longer requires welding like the other 043 clone heads out there.

AA 501 casting
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Upgraded AA 500 casting with additional port material
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is an old 500 casting and a revised 500 casting, you can tell the difference by the additional port material shown in the pic above. Not sure if AA kept the same part number for the old and new castings.

Port volumes as cast are interesting.

VW 040 Brazil 53cc step in chamber .117
VW 041 Brazil 60cc no step
VW 043 Mexico 58cc step in chamber .055
AA 501 China 55cc no step heart chamber
AA 502 China 55cc no step heart chamber
AA 500 China 56cc no step heart chamber (revised casting)

Ive read the threads on the change in castings and saw the new Stocker Plus/L3 ad with the pics of the AA upgraded 500 casting. As far as the valve job and porting on the new "L3" Im not sure, why dont you let us know.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the one comparing the 500-400 to our L3 claiming they are the same, despite my linking to the 500-400 for less than AA's site. If I took your comment the wrong way I apologize, but I think I read it accurately.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is difficult to nail down head products these days since the industry is in flux as much as it is due to the end of genuine VW head.

My understanding was that the "L" series heads originated from DRD and he would engrave what ever name you wanted on it. On the DRD site they specified that the L3 which was based on the new at the time AA500 casting which did not need porting due to the larger cast port.

Now that the 500 is NLA DRD is using the Revmaster 049 casting for the larger L series. Since the 049 is not available with stock size valves DRD L3 is using another casting which you verified has a step in the chamber.

Since I seem to be mistaken, what casting and in house mods make up the new and improved L3?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: