Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turn signal flasher too fast
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful here..... Believe the VW flasher IS grounded through its metal case.... And Some do require grounds some to not.... Depends on type and application...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply adding a DPST toggle switch will give 4 way flashers....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Kevinwterry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with this new setup im having a hard time figuring out how to connect it to my turn signal switch on my steering column. i have both right and left switch wires, and i have a wire that i thought was supposed to go to the flasher. dale mentioned that i might have my turn signal switch and flasher wired in the wrong order. so with this new relay setup do i need this wire coming from the steering column to the flasher anymore?

i think the stock way was the power went into the flasher, then up that wire to the turn signal switch, then the switch sent the power to either right or left bulbs.

so now my understanding is that we want the turn signal switch to activate the relays which then activates the flasher while sending the flashed power to whatever bulb is needed.

bt the way, my old flasher was grounded. i really dont think it should have been. it has a 30, 49, and 49a.

i bought a new flasher with the x l p terminals, 2 of 4 new relays( my local carquest only had 2 in stock. need to wait till tomorrow for the other two.) and i picked up a SPDT switch for my hazard.

what a mess huh. this is what happens when i try to wire my first relay setup and also try to wire in other lights and hazard switches using 3 different wire diagrams (dales rear only light setup, a wiring diagram for a stock beetle, and a "dune buggy" diagram.)

i think if i ever had to do this again id probably just put another light bulb in the brake light housing

thanks everyone for your help. i really appreciate it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevinwterry wrote:
with this new setup im having a hard time figuring out how to connect it to my turn signal switch on my steering column. i have both right and left switch wires, and i have a wire that i thought was supposed to go to the flasher. dale mentioned that i might have my turn signal switch and flasher wired in the wrong order. so with this new relay setup do i need this wire coming from the steering column to the flasher anymore?

i think the stock way was the power went into the flasher, then up that wire to the turn signal switch, then the switch sent the power to either right or left bulbs.

so now my understanding is that we want the turn signal switch to activate the relays which then activates the flasher while sending the flashed power to whatever bulb is needed.

That is correct ...

Quote:

bt the way, my old flasher was grounded. i really dont think it should have been. it has a 30, 49, and 49a.

i bought a new flasher with the x l p terminals, 2 of 4 new relays( my local carquest only had 2 in stock. need to wait till tomorrow for the other two.) and i picked up a SPDT switch for my hazard.

Hazard switch should be DOUBLE POLE SINGLE THROW (DPST) switch...

Quote:

what a mess huh. this is what happens when i try to wire my first relay setup and also try to wire in other lights and hazard switches using 3 different wire diagrams (dales rear only light setup, a wiring diagram for a stock beetle, and a "dune buggy" diagram.)

i think if i ever had to do this again id probably just put another light bulb in the brake light housing

thanks everyone for your help. i really appreciate it.

Dale

Kevinwterry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ive got it all wired. i have working hazards and brake lights. no turn signals. i think that mystery wire i had earlier might have been the power wire for the turn signal switch. im thinking im going to try to hook it up to the 12 volt source for the hazard switch.

my question is... what happens if my hazard switch is on and so is a turn signal? i just dont want to fry anything by giving it two sources of power. i know its the same source, but just want to check. ive wired it 100% as per dales drawing with 4 relays and hazard switch.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF either or both switches are on, nothing dangerous will happen, you may just get some weird light patterns but probably not only thing is brake lights will probably not functions as brake lights, you will just get four way flash...........

Hazard switch and turn switch can use same power source... 12 volts is 12 volts... and ground is ground..... If relays are wired correctly and voltage sources are good and grounds are good.... Only problem may be type of flasher, but any flasher rated for 2-4 bulbs (or more) should work provided its wires correctly...

Dale

Kevinwterry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT WORKED!!!!!

im so glad that this is finally done. working turn signals, working hazards. working brake lights that work with the turn signals. and the flasher is working at a nice pace.

I cant believe how screwed up I had it. and that I thought that the problem was a fast flasher.

what a pain in the butt it is to try to rewire stuff under the dash of a buggy. i haven't bolted the seats down yet so i just removed them. but i couldn't imagine trying to do that with seats installed. and im not a big guy. 5'10" and 160lbs. oh well, its done.

thank you everyone who posted advice. i couldn't have been able to do it without you guys.

only two more items to wire up and im completely wired.
still have to figure out how to wire my '59 single speed wiper motor to a '74 superbeatle steering column harness. and after i finish the rear bumper, just need to wire licence plate and reverse lights. but if i need help, which i probably will, ill post it on my buggy build topic.

thanks again guys

p.s. i still haven't tried turning the hazard switch on with a turn signal yet. i don't ever see the need to, but my kids (2 and 4 years old) love to pretend to drive the buggy and play with every knob and switch they can.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevinwterry wrote:
p.s. i still haven't tried turning the hazard switch on with a turn signal yet. i don't ever see the need to, but my kids (2 and 4 years old) love to pretend to drive the buggy and play with every knob and switch they can.

Master (hidden) battery disconnect switch....

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: