Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dylan1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

hi, i'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but has anyone put dual port heads on a 36hp motor? and if its possible, do you need special heads or can you put unmodified heads on it?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

Do it this way and be the coolest kid on your block! Wink
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/engine/25-36hp/WW_dual_port_kit.cfm

Welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

Wow, that is cool, and cheap too! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

dylan1303 wrote:
hi, i'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but has anyone put dual port heads on a 36hp motor? and if its possible, do you need special heads or can you put unmodified heads on it?

1600cc base heads will not fit a 36hp case/engine they are completely different engines ....

If your looking for 36hp build and want dual port heads ..your choice would be ..👇

Okrasa dual port heads.
Denzel dual port heads ( rare and expensive if you find them ).
Wolfsburg west dual port heads .( these are okrasa repop heads ).
Porsche 356 preA dual port heads .
Or make your own dual port heads if you have the knowledge and $$$..
dylan1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

im not sure if i could even afford those Okrasa parts. has anyone ever seen a 36hp engine in a super beetle?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

dylan1303 wrote:
im not sure if i could even afford those Okrasa parts. has anyone ever seen a 36hp engine in a super beetle?

Landspeed racing only I have ...most vw guys would talk the talk on how that 36hp engine is the wrong engine for that super beetle and how dum that is ...36hp engine/ vintage speed is pricey...your better off just building a 1600base engine they are cheaper and make a lot more hp than our 25hp/36hp 40hp vintage builds and you will save $$$$ building a 1600base engine ....but if that's what you like that's what you like .....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/bD9C1KAvIxo
dylan1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

yeah, i dont think i can afford a dual port. could i put dual port heads on a single port from 1968-1970?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

dylan1303 wrote:
yeah, i dont think i can afford a dual port. could i put dual port heads on a single port from 1968-1970?

Yes all 1600cc engines single port and the dual port parts are interchangeable with each other just as long as the cylinder bore and heads od match if you want a big bore you would need bigger cylinder and the dual port heads would have to be cut to match the cylinder size you want to use ...but If I were you I would look for a different year than 1968-70 engine to build do to the fact vw from the factory changed the magnesium in the engine case and those case / engines are junk to build always having head studs pull out do to how soft the case is on those years ...would it work for a stock dual port yes but if your looking to build a mild build look for a different year case to build ....1968 used 85.5 bore so you can find stock dual port heads that used 85.5 cylinders and they would work together bolts right up .... you can add a stroker crank big bore pistons/ heads To a 1600cc so on so on and still have extra $$ left over compare to the 36hp build ...but it's all about the love ..im broke as heck but I'm addicted to vintage speed builds so no one has to be rich to build a vintage speed because most of us are not rich in the first place ...
dylan1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

yeah, but dual port cases are so pricy for some reason. its ridiculous that i have to pay like 500 bucks for just a case. i can find complete single ports for that money...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

dylan1303 wrote:
yeah, but dual port cases are so pricy for some reason. its ridiculous that i have to pay like 500 bucks for just a case. i can find complete single ports for that money...

Try looking at offerup, Craigslist as well some time you will find deals over there as well I always find local deals on vw parts ...
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

What part of the bay are you in? I have a dual port case in need of a line bore, but I could let it go for $200 since it needs work. A line bore isn't terribly costly and Jensen Enterprises in Belmont can do it for you.

You can put late dual port heads on a 40hp but not the 36. the 36 has different spacing.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

dylan1303 wrote:

If you can find a good case for $500 I'd seriously consider it.

There are lots of internal differences between pre and post 1971 engine cases. There is a far better oiling system, the cases themselves are made from better alloys and there are better stronger head studs and case savers. It's a better case to build a performance engine with, hence the higher prices asked.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can you put Dual Port heads on a 36hp Single Port? Reply with quote

To fit DP heads onto your SP case, you need to replace the two center studs for the heads along the top row with shorter ones, on each side of the engine. This is because the DP heads have shorter studs so that they don't hit the wider intake manifold cast aluminum ends. Your SP case likely has 10 mm diameter head studs. You can buy the shorter DP center studs separately, take them out of an otherwise junked case, or from a vendor such as BugCity in CT.

When fitting DP heads, it'd be best to also install the factory-style doghouse fan shroud and its oil cooler for optimal engine cooling. If you want to build your SP engine case for longer life, you could have the cylinder head stud holes in the case machined for "case saver" inserts for your 10 mm studs. Inserts are also available for the later 8 mm case studs, though then you'd need to buy a good OEM-quality set of 8 mm case studs. And the corresponding 8 mm stud nuts and thick washers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: