Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

100 watt solar panel input?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 100 watt solar panel input? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
. Do the specs sound any good?

It will be pretty hard to beat that price if the specs hold true in actual use.

If I were in the market, these would certainly have my interest.. and if they do not perform as well as you'd hoped, you'll have little trouble recovering most of the cost selling them off on craigslst or ebay.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
I have 2 of the same panels and same sunforce controller, nowi need to order the mc-4 connectors, also have 50 ft of wire 4 a ? length moveable panel, then the fun begins.Battery addo still looking, 200 $ 4 a 1yr TROJAN?? a batt by the way.

Trojans are usually 6 volt which means you will have to get two. Added to this to make them last you need to check them and do maintenance on them. They will also vent, so it's not recommended to have them in the living compartment but I know many do it anyway.

Personally, I went with AGM sealed 12 volt batteries. Mine require no maintenance and I can lay them on their side or upside down if I want to.

They are usually pretty high priced, but SAMs club has some that are reasonably priced and that work very well.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cyc...navAction=

These are a nice alternative if you only want one battery or in my case with my older full size van I had room for three.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I got the 120w Folding Solar Panel mentioned earlier in this thread. I was impressed with the quality and completeness of the package especially for the price. I have not tested the output yet, but here are the photos after unpacking.

Comes with a padded case.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Latches and spring loaded handle.

Pre-wired back of the panels.

Built in charge controller.

Integral stand.

Front of the panel.

Wiring accessories.

Size next to the van.

I will probably leave the charge controller mounted but disconnect the wires and connect them to my own system. It will be usefull to leave though in case anyone wants to borrow it or I have a different use other than the van. Overall I was pleased with the package I purchased and it arrived quickly. Get them before they sell out again!

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-System..._info.html
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, they are nicer than i thought they might be.
Thanks for the pix
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty decent set up. The panels look like they are Solar Cynergy, which is a Chinese company, but in my experience they seem to be pretty good.

I will say that you might want to add some better alligator clamps if you hook directly to the battery. Mine came with a set of the same ones you have and they aren't very good. Might be even better to set up a quick disconnect connection.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike those clamps, they are going to be replaced by Anderson connectors or something similar in my setup.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDX westy,

Thanks for the photos and report! Methinks I'll grab one.

If you say the wiring and overall quality look good, that's good enough for me.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDX Westy,
Thanks for posting the pics. How feasible does it seem to adapt the kit to keep the panels deployed on the top of the van when not needed on the ground?From your pics it doesn't seem the components are water resistant.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The literature says the panel assemblies are waterproof but the charge controller should be protected from splash and rain. It could be easily removed and remote mounted though. It might also be able to be remounted in a waterproof box in the same location. Climberjohn made a watertight relay box out of a Tupperware container in one post. You could probably do something similar.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: solar Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
The literature says the panel assemblies are waterproof but the charge controller should be protected from splash and rain. It could be easily removed and remote mounted though. It might also be able to be remounted in a waterproof box in the same location. Climberjohn made a watertight relay box out of a Tupperware container in one post. You could probably do something similar.
Blue Bay Bus Just think I need to add to this. They do have water proof charge controllers but even with these they need air to move around them. Or they will get hot! When you charge batteries it will get warm when they are all charged up and it's day light all the solar has to go somewhere, HEAT out of the charge controller. So no I would not put it in a tupperware container. I have put then in a water tight box, but these controllers had fans, and I put holes in the box and then put filters over the holes. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When camping in the Northwest, we have found that it may be hard to find campgrounds where the sun actually hits the forest floor, and when it does, we have to move the panels to where the sun is, so I have 60 ft of #10 gauge wire that allow me to do so. Something you might want to consider.
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Yesterday I got the 120w Folding Solar Panel mentioned earlier in this thread. I was impressed with the quality and completeness of the package especially for the price. I have not tested the output yet, but here are the photos after unpacking.

I am planning on getting this solar panel and considering an AGM battery too. Any opinions on the Concorde Sun Xtender batteries?

Susan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee . . .

Go We$ty is selling a 80 watt folding solar dealie-O for . . . $480!
Good luck with that one, GW guys. Wink

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23897

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Hee hee . . .

Go We$ty is selling a 80 watt folding solar dealie-O for . . . $480!
Good luck with that one, GW guys. Wink

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23897

-CJ

It does appear the market has changed and they will have to change with it. I'm appreciative of the innovation and products they bring to our market; it will be interesting to see what they do.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritid wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

I am planning on getting this solar panel and considering an AGM battery too. Any opinions on the Concorde Sun Xtender batteries?

Susan

The Sun Xtender batteries seem quite expensive. I have a Trojan SCS200 under my sink. 115 amp/hrs rating for about $150.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/SCS20012V.aspx

spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
spiritid wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

Susan

The Sun Xtender batteries seem quite expensive. I have a Trojan SCS200 under my sink. 115 amp/hrs rating for about $150.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/SCS20012V.aspx

That does look like a great battery for the cost and capacity. I'm looking for a battery that won't need maintenance and so researching the AGM batteries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

I will probably leave the charge controller mounted but disconnect the wires and connect them to my own system. It will be usefull to leave though in case anyone wants to borrow it or I have a different use other than the van. Overall I was pleased with the package I purchased and it arrived quickly. Get them before they sell out again!

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-System..._info.html

How are you connecting this panel with your existing one/charge controller? Are you connecting
the panels in series or are you connecting them to a charge controller in parallel?

Wondering how us that have roof top panels that do not detach can also connect a remote panel to the
same system.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can connect as many panels in parallel to your charge controller as you want, as long as you don't exceed the max amp rating of your controller. I will just disconnect the wires from these panels from the supplied charge controller and extend them to my own.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want two panels at once - I have a power cord running from the controller to the back of the rear closet by the rear hatch where I can connect it to the the power cord coming from the solar panel in the poptop. I simply disconnect the roof solar panel cord and connect this portable solar panel. I'm modifying the power cord in the protable solar panel to match my existing power cord connection.

In my case my controller is a 20Amp model so no problem having both panels to the controller as PDX suggests above.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Blvd has three different size foldable panels listed now @ a small discount from their reg. prices.
I have the 100 watt model ordered, looking forward to seeing what it can do for me!

http://www.solarblvd.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=foldable&x=27&y=2
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: