Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

zero compression
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: zero compression Reply with quote

Took my van, 84 Westy, to get a tune up and to get smogged. When I picked it up, I found out that it had passed the smog test, but had zero compression in the number three cylinder. i've had the van for about seven years and have driven it about 30000 miles without any issues. The van runs and drives as well now as it ever has. Temperature and oil pressure seem to be ok, power is the same as it has always been. Wondering what problem the motor could have. Considering that it passed the smog test and runs ok, could I have issues with a worn cylinder/piston/rings, problems with valves? I would like to fix the problem rather than blow it up and get left on the side of the road.
bowtiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I would double check the compression .

It's very unlikely it has 0 compression and passed smog , without compression it would be pouring raw un-burned fuel into the exhaust and would read rich on smog test which = Failed ..
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowtiebug wrote:
Rolling Eyes I would double check the compression .

It's very unlikely it has 0 compression and passed smog , without compression it would be pouring raw un-burned fuel into the exhaust and would read rich on smog test which = Failed ..

ditto
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cam happened to stop with a valve open on that cylinder.

Spin it and test it again, or do a leakdown test.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: