Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Share your wrenching tips and tricks!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, I will give that a try
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can there possibly be anyone else out there who didn't know this? I was torquing down the brake calipers on my Mercedes. I have a Sturtevant non-ratcheting torque wrench. Of course, I had limited movement of the wrench where it was positioned. After turning the wrench as far as it could go before hitting part of the steering linkage, I could not lift it off the bolt and move it back far enough to get onto the bolt before hitting the wheel well. After 40 years of having this problem working on my cars, a brilliant idea flashed into my head. What if I took the socket off the wrench and rotated it 1/4 turn? It fit the head of the bolt and I could go through another arc. No need for universal joints or long extensions. I can't wait to find out what brilliant idea I have 40 years from now.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this isn't exactly a wrenching tip, but just a trick. If you have a damaged seal this is one way to get some extra mileage out of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's what I use for this repair: Yes, that's just a plastic drinking straw. Make sure you get a decent quality one, and the one that's the closest size to the seal you're repairing. Pliobond is just a runny rubber cement conveniently held in a tube. Anyway, get the surface very clean. I use an alcohol prep pad. Then apply the glue to the edges of the damaged seal. Insert the straw inside the seal to bridge the gap between the two damaged sides. Then bring the seal together. I like to add some blue tape over it and let it sit a day.

Here's the end result after the glue has dried:

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Freshdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years and years of working on all makes and models that suffer albertan salt during winter ive learned one invaluable tip for bolts nuts or screws that are rusted or seized. This is especially useful for the cheap metal used on less important fasteners, once they seize up a bit the head will strip before it will break loose. The phillips screws that hold mudflaps on nowadays are brutal for it.

Before trying to loosen, simply try and tighten the fastener. You will probably get just a nudge, but its all thats required. Will loosen off with a fraction of the torque to break it free.

Wont work on extreme torques (like an axle nut) but its a simple trick to try!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freshdub wrote:
The phillips screws that hold mudflaps on nowadays are brutal for it.

You can get an impact driver from flaps. The kind you hit with a hammer. They are great at breaking Phillips screws loose because it simultaneously twists and pushes the Phillips driver tight into the screw. I learned that wrenching on motorcycles with lots of steel Phillips screws fused to the aluminum.
cjonesak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Oil pan gasket quick fix Reply with quote

I just did this one on my 1.8 engine, I broke the oil pan gasket right at one of the bolt holes. So I took a sticker I had laying around and trimmed it down to the width of the gasket. Then I stuck it on there and it held it together long enough for me to get the oil pan back on. I knew everything was lined up right because when I stuck the bolt in that hole I was pushing right through the sticker material. Don't have any miles on the engine yet but I suspect things are going to be just fine.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't waste time double nutting to make a drain plug tool, these are joining nuts, ace hardware has them cheap enough, the m10 nut is 17mm hex, i expect there's an america thread that'll give you 9/16th, close enough to 14mm hex.

campism wrote:
You can sometimes make the tool you need for a certain job. My 17mm Allen was too long for access to the trans drain so I made a stubby out of a bolt and two nuts. Easier than hacksawing an Allen key sometimes.

Did the same thing when I needed a 14mm hex to adjust camber. This bolt was from a bicycle, holds the crank arm to the bottom bracket axle.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Passing on an old trick I forget where I got it from.........

When disconnecting hydraulic lines for repair/replacement use a wooden golf tee sharpened in a pencil sharpener to stem the flow of fluid while you are preparing to install the new line.

I'm not sure where this pointed golf tee is supposed to be plugged in.

To stop a brake system from draining its reservoir, BEFORE I breach the system, I apply the brakes and hold the pedal down with a prop. The piston in the master cylinder will be beyond the reservoir ports stopping any flow. For obvious reasons, I also disconnect the battery or pull the plug on the brake light switch.

Richie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
if you happen to round out a 8xzn or 6mm hex head bolt that holds the cv joint to the axle flange, try hammering a 12mm 12pt socket over the head of the bolt. it needs to be a 'fresh' socket with plenty of 'bite'. if this doesn't work, it is on to the chisel and hammer method.

Irwin bolt-outs work great on removing round-headed fasteners. Way better and easier than hammer and chisel.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RicoS wrote:

To stop a brake system from draining its reservoir, BEFORE I breach the system, I apply the brakes and hold the pedal down with a prop. The piston in the master cylinder will be beyond the reservoir ports stopping any flow. For obvious reasons, I also disconnect the battery or pull the plug on the brake light switch.

Richie

I'll have to try that!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak99B5 wrote:
Irwin bolt-outs work great on removing round-headed fasteners...

So, why didn't I use mine for the steering column "shear" bolts on my recent dash project...???
I've got 'em right here, and it sure would've been easier than the *&$%# vice-grips... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

4) Cheap DIY pilot bearing puller (yes, keep it in the van):

This crankshaft pilot bearing removal dodge has been around so long I'm almost afraid to mention it - pack the bearing recess with grease then tap a close fitting dowel into the shaft hole. The resulting hydraulic pressure will push out the bearing.

I've done this with dowels made of brass, steel, and even wood on both ball and bushing bearings. Works as slick as a nursing baby's diarrhea.

One caveat - notice I said to "tap" the dowel. If you go gorilla on it, you could end up picking bearing a la grease out of your teeth.

Richie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single best tip I can offer up is to buy the best tools you can find, especially for those hard to deal with situations like the brake system, exhaust, CV joints, etc. Snap-On and Proto tools will do the work while inferior brands will just cause frustration.

If you don't want to spend the long green up front for complete sets, buy the necessary tools one at a time as needed.

As an example -

I used to dread changing out calipers on my Volvos because, although Volvo was thoughtful enough to use brass line nuts and copper alloy brake lines, the Craftsman line wrenches I had would invariably round off the soft brass line nuts. Then, I would have to replace the brake lines along with the calipers.

Finally, I wised up and bought the necessary Proto line wrench. That one wrench cost more than a full set of Harbor Freight dreck. In the end, it was cheaper because I never had to buy another Volvo brake line or waste time installing one.

Richie
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RicoS wrote:
...pack the bearing recess with grease then tap a close fitting dowel into the shaft hole. The resulting hydraulic pressure will push out the bearing...

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I tried that (the one time) and found no joy. That's
when I made the PB puller (bolt) shown above - modeled after another Sambanista...

SAMBA!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
RicoS wrote:
...pack the bearing recess with grease then tap a close fitting dowel into the shaft hole. The resulting hydraulic pressure will push out the bearing...

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I tried that (the one time) and found no joy. That's
when I made the PB puller (bolt) shown above - modeled after another Sambanista...

SAMBA!

Perhaps the recess was not packed fully with grease or the dowel was undersized. In my experience, I've never seen it fail and, at times, I've even been a little cavalier about the sizing of the dowel.

Richie
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one we used today to remove a rounded off 19mm nut. These are the nuts on the Lower Control Arm bushing bolts. We used a 6" ridgid pipe wrench. Put the wrench into position, bump it up against the frame with the impact wrench. Those jaws really bite into the steel and effectively held the nut while the impact gun did its job on the bolt.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever I buy an old used vehicle (which I've done too many times BTW) I get under it and hose down every fastener I can see with Kroil. I do that for my yearly inspection too for several years.

another trick is to hit the underside of a newly aquired vehicle with a pressure washer - use hot water if you can - cleanliness is useful for repairs & inspections
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that, but more selectively. If I'm planning to replace the steering box for instance, I'll slide under and hit every bolt the project will involve. Really makes for a relaxing wrenching session when all the fasteners pop loose right away.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
RicoS wrote:

SAMBA!

Me too. In fact the person showing me the trick had done it many times on 914's / 911, yet we had no luck on my Type IV motor. Rented a small bearing puller that motorcyle guys use and it worked like a charm. I'll be giving the grease/dowel method another shot in the near future however.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I do that, but more selectively. If I'm planning to replace the steering box for instance, I'll slide under and hit every bolt the project will involve. Really makes for a relaxing wrenching session when all the fasteners pop loose right away.

Yup - the critical thing is time -- penetrants need lots o f time to work - days, weeks, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: