Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Share your wrenching tips and tricks!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

Thought I'd share a shop trick, though perhaps this is common knowledge?

Repairing some plastic that has cracked but not split apart and need to glue it back together using super glue? Well, how do you get the glue down into the crack?

The trick is to use a needle. Gently wedge the needle into the crack and then apply the glue to the needle. The super glue will then travel down the needle and into the crack, where it's needed. This is also a far more clean repair then trying to force the glue through the dull tip, which ends up mostly smearing the glue on the surface of what you're trying to repair. This trick also works for precision oiling, btw.

Hope everyone has a happy Turkey day!

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

Kevin I LIKE that!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
. . . I had 3 hardened steel wedges made by a blacksmith friend (or a machine shop could do this - not
sure if there's anything ready-for-sale out there...)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In case you don't have a friend, wedges like these are called flange wedges and any decent industrial supply house will have them in various sizes for a few bucks a piece.

As is usually the case, that wheel is already rolling.

Richie (near The Burgh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

Quote:
...few bucks a piece...

...or more...WOW! Shocked Shocked Shocked

https://www.grainger.com/category/flange-and-set-up-wedges/pryers-and-pullers/tools/ecatalog/N-161m

FWIW, my set only cost me a six-pack although I did have to hang around & BS
with my buddy the whole time, PLUS he made me share the six-pack...

Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

#4 Rod holder.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

I need a rubber band like that, that goes through the little end...

Very Happy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

Another Volvo fanatic like me!

One tip on loosening soft brake lines. Crack the connection on the caliper before you remove it so you can put pure torque on the connector as it is held tight on the car, a lot easier than trying to hold it while torquing.

If you crack the connection and run just a dribble of brake fluid each time you replace pads or your 24 month fluid change, the lines will come free when they need replacement EZPZ

I keep four bleeder screws for every car in my toolkit every time I do brakes, and they get replaced each time I do pads. I haven’t wrestled with snapped bleeders in decades, even in the Northeast
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Quote:
...few bucks a piece...

...or more...WOW! Shocked Shocked Shocked

https://www.grainger.com/category/flange-and-set-up-wedges/pryers-and-pullers/tools/ecatalog/N-161m

I think I bought from Grainger . . . once. Same with Fastenal. Both places have a large inventory of stuff, but they also want you to bend over whenever you buy something.

McMaster-Carr has flange wedges for a reasonable price. Of course you have to pay shipping.

Some notes on sourcing:

1/ With the de-industrialization of our great nation, Mc-Master-Carr seems to have become the de facto hardware of the USA. Although, they have changed a bit over the past 20 years, McMaster-Carr still has damn near anything, they answer their order line on the first ring, stuff usually arrives the next day with no expedited shipping charge and, if you buy enough, they will still send you a copy of their 4-inch thick catalog. Also, they may be the ONLY source for those out there in the hinterlands.

Unfortunately, as I've recently observed, McMaster seems to have hired the clueless to work their warehouses which results in small purchases, at times, arriving in coffin-sized boxes. Still, they do not pad their shipping rates.

2/ For those who live far away from a large city, do not overlook the supply houses which service the various trades; electricians, plumbers, HVAC guys, etc. You might be surprised what you will find there. Also, don't forget the farm supply joints or those places which serve the heavy truckers.

3/ There are still jobbers everywhere who will rebuild any alternator, re-core any radiator or provide you with any bit of hardware. The trick is finding them and knowing what you want whenever you enter their turf. Nothing tests the patience of a surly counterman more than some millennial who thinks the guy behind that counter should also be a mind reader.

Richie (near The Burg)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
. . . I keep four bleeder screws for every car in my toolkit every time I do brakes, and they get replaced each time I do pads. I haven’t wrestled with snapped bleeders in decades, even in the Northeast

Great advice! Sign me up.

I'll be buying a pocketful of 8mm bleeders. One thing that has been irking me is getting rebuilt calipers with 6mm bleeders. It might seem petty, but it's a nuisance to have to carry two wrenches just to wrap up a brake job.

Thanks.

Richie (near The Burgh)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

RicoS wrote:
Abscate wrote:
. . . I keep four bleeder screws for every car in my toolkit every time I do brakes, and they get replaced each time I do pads. I haven’t wrestled with snapped bleeders in decades, even in the Northeast

Great advice! Sign me up.

I'll be buying a pocketful of 8mm bleeders. One thing that has been irking me is getting rebuilt calipers with 6mm bleeders. It might seem petty, but it's a nuisance to have to carry two wrenches just to wrap up a brake job.

Thanks.

Richie (near The Burgh)

Yeah - when the rebuilders get the cores, the frozen bleeders are drilled out and retapped a size up. You can get conversions in brass but if you keep the bleeders new, you don't run into the strip problems unless you

One more reason to buy from a shop and not over the internet. BAP GEON here in Albany is great - I tell them to get me a rebuilt but the bleeders have to be stock size. Call me when I can pick them up.
SyncroBouree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

Having replaced my rear-axle cv joints with 944 units and new fastening hardware earlier this year, I thought to squirt a dollop of rtv into the head of each flange bolt after everything was set to torque.

The subsequent task of disconnection to drop the engine and transaxle for this season's resto-mod went much more smoothly because the cured rtv plugs just pop out and saved me the task of digging out the usual crud to ensure the that the bit bottoms out.

Seems like it might make the vow for regular maintenance of those units a bit easier to carry out.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

SyncroBouree wrote:
Having replaced my rear-axle cv joints with 944 units and new fastening hardware earlier this year, I thought to squirt a dollop of rtv into the head of each flange bolt after everything was set to torque.

The subsequent task of disconnection to drop the engine and transaxle for this season's resto-mod went much more smoothly because the cured rtv plugs just pop out and saved me the task of digging out the usual crud to ensure the that the bit bottoms out.

Seems like it might make the vow for regular maintenance of those units a bit easier to carry out.

Just ordering new boots and about to to do the same chore, thanks for the tip!

Great post for the first one too. I love those simple things that make my future self life easier....usually the opposite. Rolling Eyes
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

you guys mean THIS VW engine rebuild kit? Very Happy

Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
you guys mean THIS VW engine rebuild kit? Very Happy

Ha! New in the box. Genuine German rubber? Score!

(I bet it has a hefty core charge tho.... Smile )
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

A quick tip,
If you cannot see the fastener to chose the proper tool you need to loosen it, but can feel it.

Simply press your finger hard onto the top of the fastener, the imprint of the fastener is easily seen on your skin and you can now easily choose your tool.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Awesome!! Now I want one. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

Good lord this thread is a wealth of great ideas.

I don't know how I missed it and wish I'd seen it before entering the world of Pennsylvania Rust Hell, but I'm glad I have it now. Thanks to all who have contributed.

I know there's been a lot of discussion about that pesky front nut on the clutch slave cylinder, and that welding or JB welding works well, but I've found that using masking tape to tape the nut to a slim box-end wrench then sliding it through the slit works well to hold the nut in place while you start the bolt. Not a big deal, but it works...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

have WHAT, man???!! i have to do bushings and what made it easier?!!

-dan
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Share your wrenching tips and tricks! Reply with quote

Righty tighty and lefty Lucy...unless it's not.

Link

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: