Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

You should have gently heated the metal insert a little with a propane torch, then tapped it back in with a plastic mallet or block of wood and hammer. It can take some heavy pounding sometimes.

Mark
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

Bombero wrote:
When I removed the rubber hose I found that the metal insert had come out maybe an inch. I tried everything to push it back in, but being totally rusty it would not budge. I ended up cutting it flush with the plastic pipe and and put the rubber hose over the plastic pipe and clamped it. No leaks so far, but I sure would like to repair it where I can feel confident it won't come off.

Since you cut the flange, this is your easiest/cheapest option.
http://www.gowesty.com/product/pipes-junctions/3643/coolant-pipe-repair-kit-?v=
Otherwise it's time for a stainless pipe set like these. Available from several Vanagon suppliers.
http://www.gowesty.com/product/pipes-junctions/4407/stainless-steel-coolant-pipe-set-2wd-?v=

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

Bombero wrote:
When I removed the rubber hose I found that the metal insert had come out maybe an inch. I tried everything to push it back in, but being totally rusty it would not budge. I ended up cutting it flush with the plastic pipe and and put the rubber hose over the plastic pipe and clamped it. No leaks so far, but I sure would like to repair it where I can feel confident it won't come off.

If you don't have confidence in the integrity of your cooling system you will probably never know even a mile of motoring bliss.

Do what you must do, put the entire system into A-1 shape.
Yes it will cost you multiples of hundreds of dollars but in the end, it is worth it!
It certainly was for me!

I did some upgrades after my initial upgrade. Sadly I "cheaped" out on the first go 'round and replaced plastic with new plastic.

Bite the bullet now, RMW aluminum tank, stainless distribution tower, stainless head bypass pipes, aluminum thermostat housing.
I'm still uograding but I have confidence in my system.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

I totally get trying to save money but my vote is to definitely replace 25 year old plastic with metal. Personally, my goal is to replace every failure prone point on my van so that I'm not stranded on the side of the road, kicking my tires. I know ss pipes are expensive but worth the piece of mind. I look at plastic coolant limes on Vanagons and I wonder what the heck Vw was thinking. I know it's not like replacing a $10 ignition switch but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The $300 is well worth it in my book. With that said, maybe you have parts or issues elsewhere that are more important and maybe the gowesty kit can buy someone some time? If it were me, I'd prioritize saving up for ss lines and never think about it again. Riveting into an old coolant line seems risky. You might as well put a tag on it that says, "tear along dotted line." I admire the effort for sure, but I fear that it will only lead to eventual failure. No disrespect meant whatsoever, I just hope that one doesn't experience a failure because of a rivet. Maybe I'm wrong and you get years of service from that fix. Personally I'd, eliminate all questions or concerns and go ss. I'm orettty sure there isn't a topic on this site concerning failures of ss coolant lines.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

from the other thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573959

though I would CERTAINLY %150 replace the plastic coolant junctions in the cooling system.

danfromsyr wrote:
cats_r_cute wrote:
...or just rivet the insert to the original pipe and forget about them. no travel anymore. Smile

Cheap and easy and I've never in my many years of listening, and owning vanagons heard of a failed plastic line in the middle.
spreading fear and misconception is great on the intenets for those that sell the upgrade pipes. Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

While your at it, there are also plactic Tee's and in line joiners else where in the system that need to be addressed.
Once you've bitten the bullet and replaced those pipes, be sure to recheck the hose clamps every couple thousands mile a few times to be sure they are set and you didn't miss anything.
If you plan on driving any van past the city limits, you need to make sure that those inserts are not goinf to walk out on you.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thestoneroses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

Hi

I've read this and a couple of other interesting threads pertaining to plastic coolant hose inserts, and their associated potential for in-flight loss of all coolant Shocked

So whilst mine were accessible, I went to take a look. Only the rears thus far. I was relatively relieved to find that they aren’t (yet) too compromised, though one appears to have started working lose:

So, as a stopgap ahead of replacement with stainless if/when funds permit, and partly because I’m paranoid about losing coolant (long-term aircooled man, new to coolant !) I plan to

i) rivet both inserts in place

ii) double clamp each hose onto the plastic pipe, and then secure the clamps to the body with a zip tie. This will prevent the clamps from moving position and thus hold the hose firmly in place shoudl all else fail.

Any tips or precautions before I go ahead?

I'll take a look at the front asap.

Thanks,
Gareth

I can feel the earth begin to move, I hear my needle hit the groove, and spiral through another day.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

thestoneroses wrote:
ii) double clamp each hose onto the plastic pipe, and then secure the clamps to the body with a zip tie. This will prevent the clamps from moving position and thus hold the hose firmly in place shoudl all else fail.

Any tips or precautions before I go ahead?

I might use a wire tie along with a zip tie. Those are usually plastic, too, and I've had them break.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

I've had good luck with these.
https://gowesty.com/blogs/article-library/coolant-pipe-repair-kit-for-vanagon
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

the rivets are sufficient to retain the sleeves into the plastic tubing..
it won't shear the rivet(s)
hose won't migrate out on it's own. unless the lips are gone.

but belt & suspenders are always +1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
While your at it, there are also plactic Tee's and in line joiners else where in the system that need to be addressed.
Once you've bitten the bullet and replaced those pipes, be sure to recheck the hose clamps every couple thousands mile a few times to be sure they are set and you didn't miss anything.
If you plan on driving any van past the city limits, you need to make sure that those inserts are not goinf to walk out on you.

Stacy

Source the right size SS oetikers from Belmetrics, buy a bag, double clamp, carry two spares, sell the rest of the bag here to cover your costs plus $25 of glory
thestoneroses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Plastic Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

finished the job.

riveted the rear of pipes. two small stainless rivets on each will keep the inserts in check for many more years yet. Double clamped and zipped tied to frame for extra, albeit unnecessary, reassurance !

One of the front inserts had started working free, other was as new. Riveted them both, and again doubled clamped and zipped tied.

Job done, they should comfortably outlive me.

cheers.

I can feel the earth begin to move, I hear my needle hit the groove, and spiral through another day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: